The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-08-2021, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY
Default I have info about Bourgeois & Eastman

This may be old news to some. I asked the question about the partnership, and here is what Bourgeois replied:

Though the guitars or information on the guitars is not yet posted on the website, I can share some information with you.

These guitars will initially be available in OM and Dread body shapes, a 25.5” scale and a 1 23/32” nut.

We anticipate the guitars to be available from our dealers in quarter 4 of this year with a staring MSRP of $2,650.

These guitars are designed to allow for a lower price entry point to the Bourgeois brand while still incorporating what makes Bourgeois guitars great: sound boards sourced and voiced by the same team in the same manner as all our Bourgeois guitars and guitars built using Bourgeois guitars specifications and standards.

More information about the guitars will be available on the website as we get closer to having the guitars in dealerships.

We could not be more thrilled about this new Bourgeois guitar line and believe it has the ability to make a big impact.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 06-08-2021, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

Still vague but will be interesting to see how it plays out. I assume they’ll be branded as Bourgeois but mostly built by Eastman?
Old 06-08-2021, 12:26 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Thanks for the update. That’s the most specific info I’ve heard so far. I’m not in the market for these collaborative models but I know others are eager to try them. And I’m always interested in what Dana’s up to. If he’s going to be voicing all the Bourgeois guitars and the tops of the Eastman collaboration guitars he’s gonna be a busy boy.

Old 06-08-2021, 12:31 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Still vague but will be interesting to see how it plays out. I assume they’ll be branded as Bourgeois but mostly built by Eastman?
No. My understanding is that the Bourgeois brand will only be used on the highend guitars that will still be coming out of Lewiston. The collaborative guitars will a have separate brand label.

Old 06-08-2021, 12:38 PM

Thanks for sharing! That's much more detail than what i've seen before. I've reposted to the Eastman fans site as well.
Old 06-08-2021, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
1 23/32” nut
No doubt the subject of many future threads
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 06-08-2021, 12:58 PM

Quote:
... still incorporating what makes Bourgeois guitars great: sound boards sourced and voiced by the same team in the same manner as all our Bourgeois guitars and guitars built using Bourgeois guitars specifications and standards.
Is building Eastman guitars using the same team and in the same manner using Bourgeois specifications and standards expected to improve Eastman guitars? From what I have been reading in this forum both companies build excellent guitars their own way, so, why make them all the same now?
Old 06-08-2021, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

Great information!

By the way, I like the idea of 1 23/32” (1.72") nut width. It's a good compromise since 1.75" is too wide for a lot of players, including me. Even most surveys on the AGF have shown that more people prefer 1 11/16" over 1 3/4" nut widths.

I think this is very good thinking on the part of Bourgeois. Build as good or better product for less money. From an engineering standpoint, that is always a winning combination. I'm not sure I will ever be in the market for another guitar, but I always admire good thinking.

- Glenn
Old 06-08-2021, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Great information!

By the way, I like the idea of 1 23/32” (1.72") nut width. It's a good compromise since 1.75" is too wide for a lot of players.
This nut width is common among Bourgeois (my Sig D has it). Suggests to me that Bourgeois is influencing the specs on this hybrid line. I'm looking forward to taking one for a spin.

Thanks for the info, KarenB.
Old 06-08-2021, 01:28 PM

The nut width disappoints me and almost guarantees that the string spacing will be less than 2 1/4. I think 1.75 is the most versatile and allows various string spacing, from 2 3/16 all the way to 2 5/16. I’d like to know when a survey was done asking forum members what their preference was. I’ve been on the form for 10 years never got that one.
Old 06-08-2021, 01:39 PM

Quote:
This may be old news to some. I asked the question about the partnership, and here is what Bourgeois replied:

Though the guitars or information on the guitars is not yet posted on the website, I can share some information with you.

These guitars will initially be available in OM and Dread body shapes, a 25.5” scale and a 1 23/32” nut.

We anticipate the guitars to be available from our dealers in quarter 4 of this year with a staring MSRP of $2,650.

These guitars are designed to allow for a lower price entry point to the Bourgeois brand while still incorporating what makes Bourgeois guitars great: sound boards sourced and voiced by the same team in the same manner as all our Bourgeois guitars and guitars built using Bourgeois guitars specifications and standards.

More information about the guitars will be available on the website as we get closer to having the guitars in dealerships.

We could not be more thrilled about this new Bourgeois guitar line and believe it has the ability to make a big impact.
Dana covered the details pretty extensively in his last Fretboard Journal interview.
Old 06-08-2021, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

1.75 doesn't fit my hand. I much prefer 1 11/16. We are all so different. Though if the neck is thin enough, and the radius more curved, sometimes I can get by with a 1.75 nut.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 06-08-2021, 01:45 PM

A fat lil birdie says the co-produced Eastman/Bourgeois guitars will have a brand name of Touchstone
Old 06-08-2021, 01:46 PM

Karen, thanks for the update!

"sound boards sourced and voiced by the same team in the same manner as all our Bourgeois guitars"

Makes me think that the tops will first go through the Maine shop first and then shipped overseas, or more likely some team member(s) will be working at the Eastman shop.
Old 06-08-2021, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Great information!

By the way, I like the idea of 1 23/32” (1.72") nut width. It's a good compromise since 1.75" is too wide for a lot of players, including me. Even most surveys on the AGF have shown that more people prefer 1 11/16" over 1 3/4" nut widths.
Glenn you sure about that? Because I seem to be of the view that if a survey were done today the results would show overwhelmingly a preference for 1 3/4.

Anyway, count me in the camp who likes the price point of these new guitars but will pass on the 1 23/32" nut width. Bourgeois necks are already too similar to the Martin MLO/PA and that is entirely too shallow for my hands.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion