The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-15-2020, 12:28 AM

Default Selling gear on Reverb

Anyone ever sold gear on Reverb? I just sold my first item and am not real sure how it all works. It says I will get paid for the item once the item is shipped and delivered. Not comfortable at all shipping before receiving payment. Can someone fill me in how it works on that site? I haven't even provided bank acct info for the funds to get to me. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Weird....I just googled the ship to address and it comes up with Van Halen's childhood home. (1881 Las Lunas, Pasadena, Ca)

TIA

Last edited by Danno; 10-15-2020 at 12:36 AM.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:00 AM
Musical minimalist

Man, all I can say is good luck with it.....I've pretty much pulled out of the buying and selling game as it's become more complex and expensive with the sites and less personal (only automated emails etc)

I know that Reverb changed some things a short time ago and haven't sold anything there since.

At the end of last year I had three purchases (all guitars) that were way less than described, and it pretty much shut me down.

Just don't need to add that kind of stress to my life.

Old 10-15-2020, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

Yes, I have sold a lot of gear on Reverb. They 'hold' your funds until you provide them with a tracking number and the item shows up in the shippers system then your funds are released. At least that's the way it used to be back when they allowed you to get paid into your PayPal account. I never had a problem buying or selling over there then. They just recently changed policies though where you have to link your bank account to them and they pay you directly into your account. Since that is why I started a PayPal account for in the first place, I no longer sell on Reverb. But I didn't have any problems when I did use them.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
...It says I will get paid for the item once the item is shipped and delivered. Not comfortable at all shipping before receiving payment....
The buyer pays reverb, who acts like an escrow agent. Reverb will tell you when the buyer has paid and it's "OK to ship." When you ship it, get a tracking number and enter the tracking number at reverb to let them know you've shipped it. If it's your first transaction, reverb holds the money until the item arrives. But yeah, I think you've got to give reverb a bank account number so they can get the money to you. (Maybe they'll send a check to your address -- I don't know about that.)

I've sold a number of guitars through reverb. They're a reputable outfit. When I've had any questions, I've used their online chat to talk to a reverb rep -- I've always been satisfied with their responses.

A couple of buyers made unwarranted complaints about guitars I've sold. That can be a hassle. Just make sure you give a full description of the item you're selling -- leaving no room for a buyer to complain.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 10-15-2020, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
Weird....I just googled the ship to address and it comes up with Van Halen's childhood home. (1881 Las Lunas, Pasadena, Ca)
DANGER, Will Robinson! Unless your buyer is maybe Wolfgang Van Halen or some other relative, this has "scam" written all over it. They will deny ever getting delivery and UPS is not doing signatures these days, then Reverb will give your money back to them. You will be out of luck both ways - both your money and guitar will be long gone. Color me cynical......
Old 10-15-2020, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

I've bought and sold quite a bit on reverb with success and no issues for the most part. Like other mentioned after you sell the item you ship it. I recommend using Reverb's shipping program because you save on your shipping fees and its very easy to use. After you establish yourself as a trusted seller they release the money from being held once the tracking shows the item is moving. Usually once FedEx, USPS or UPS shows it moving. I agree with internet sales tax and increased fees its getting more expensive to buy and sell items but its all working aside from that for me.

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 10-15-2020, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
DANGER, Will Robinson! Unless your buyer is maybe Wolfgang Van Halen or some other relative, this has "scam" written all over it. They will deny ever getting delivery and UPS is not doing signatures these days, then Reverb will give your money back to them. You will be out of luck both ways - both your money and guitar will be long gone. Color me cynical......
Maybe, maybe not. It was apparently Van Halen's childhood home. It's just a 2 Bedroom 1 bath house. Listed for rent in 2017 and rented out in 2 weeks. It's not too implausible that the current renter is a guitar buyer.... I'd sure send a message to the buyer though and ask him what's up with the Van Halen house, etc.....

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic