The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-06-2020, 02:22 PM

Default Advice for New Classifieds Seller

I just became a Charter Member and plan to post my first classified ad in a week or so.

I've sold a few instruments on CL and Mandolin Cafe, and know the basics about price, photos, etc, but I realize every community is different.

I would appreciate any suggestions for a successful experience as a seller on AGF.

Thanks!

Just playing for my own amazement

Martin 000-15sm
Eastman E10SS
RainSong SMH
Blueridge BR-142
The Loar LH-250
Recording King RPS-9 (for slide)
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin
A Strat and a Tele
Les Paul and Jazzmaster copies

Last edited by Acousticado; 03-07-2020 at 04:20 PM. Reason: No suggestion of actual guitar selling outside of classifieds
Old 03-06-2020, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

I would just look at the first few pages of listings and copy them. Especially the ones that sold! Pics and a fair price are important. I also think an evaluation period (which is mandatory on other guitar sales forums) is something sellers should offer here, but that's just my opinion.
Old 03-06-2020, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

Be very upfront and honest, post LOTS of really good, high resolution photos, list all the specs of the guitar and describe it in detail including why you're selling. Be willing to communicate through private message, email and even phone or video chat if desired. Put people at ease. Where as you're new here that will affect people's caution to deal with you so the more communicative you are the better. Do your homework and post for a good price. See what other guitars like yours are going for and price accordingly.
Old 03-06-2020, 04:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Be very upfront and honest, post LOTS of really good, high resolution photos...
I continue to be amazed that sellers will withhold pictures and suggest that those interested can email to get pictures. The other thing that I'd suggest is that sellers DO NOT ask for the use of Friends & Family PayPal. Doing so removes buyer protections, and many of us see this as a borderline scam. Adjust your price accordingly to cover PayPal fees. I'd also be sure to post as to who will cover shipping fees...
Old 03-06-2020, 05:13 PM
Charter Member

Nut and Bridge Spacing measurements. Action measurements. Lots of pix. Cover every spot of the guitar, not 27 of the top from slightly different angles.

DO NOT expect the potential buyers to go look for info from makers' websites, etc., except if there's more data on a Reverb Ad you've placed.

Price it less that other places you have it (e.g., Reverb) 'cause you save transaction fees.

Answer our PM's. Don't get offended by low-ballers.
Old 03-06-2020, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

No surprises.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 03-06-2020, 07:44 PM
Charter Member

First thanks for asking - great foresight. I echo what others have stated and just have to reiterate, I'm surprised at lack of photos and general info. I'm "always shopping" but I'm also always busy at work, and home. I am not going to go find specs. I pass right over those ads without for the next one in the listings. You are entering a competitive world. Make my buying job as easy as possible.

In addition to nut width, and string spacing, many of us aging buyers want to know the scale length. I buy almost exclusively shorter scale instruments. Others prefer standard. Just tell it like it is.

I read complaints about posting pics. While it can seem a bit cryptic it's really not that too too difficult (and we are here to help you as needed). And although there is reference to an external web host, you do not "have" to do it that way. You can attach images (read all the instructions - I think some folks miss the part about attaching).

John

Martin D-41, Larrivee L-19; Gibson L-130; Taylor 614-ce-L30; R Taylor 2
H&D Custom OM; Bauman 000
Cervantes Crossover I; Kenny Hill 628S;
Rainsong Shorty SGA; CA GX Player, Cargo;
Alvarez AP70; Stella, 12-string; 2 Ukes; Gibson Mandola; Charango, couple electrics
Old 03-06-2020, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Be very upfront and honest, post LOTS of really good, high resolution photos, list all the specs of the guitar and describe it in detail including. Be willing to communicate through private message, email and even phone or video chat if desired. Put people at ease. Do your homework and post for a good price. See what other guitars like yours are going for and price accordingly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
.....I continue to be amazed that sellers will withhold pictures and suggest that those interested can email to get pictures. The other thing that I'd suggest is that sellers DO NOT ask for the use of Friends & Family PayPal. Doing so removes buyer protections, and many of us see this as a borderline scam. Adjust your price accordingly to cover PayPal fees. I'd also be sure to post as to who will cover shipping fees...
All this and add where you are so someone interested in driving to check it out can do so.
Old 03-07-2020, 06:47 AM

One thing I see frequently is listing the price plus $x shipping.
Just show a single amount!

I'd agree with not being offended at a low offer (although it does irritate me internally! ). I had listed a guitar on Reverb and here but wasn't finding a buyer. Someone on Reverb sent a rather low offer, and I refused it without counter-offering. At that point I pulled the ad and decided to just keep it.

Ultimately we worked out a deal that was more reasonable to both sides. So those low offers can just be conversation-starters!

Martin Custom Authentic 000-28 1937

Martin 1944 00-18
Old 03-07-2020, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJNies View Post
...So those low offers can just be conversation-starters!
Very true, and sometimes they are those want to get something for nothing. I've posed the question to those who throw out a low-ball figure - is that "offer" a final offer or the start of a negotiation. However, there are are those whose initial "offer" is too ridiculous to even counter...
Old 03-07-2020, 07:35 AM
Get off my lawn kid

I've never bought a guitar here, but I've read the classifieds quite a bit. Almost all of the
guitars for sale don't have the two pictures I'd want to see: a picture of the neck where it meets the body and a picture of the bridge and saddle.

Always struck me as odd seeing we all know we need that information.

So, maybe having those pictures as well might help to sell the guitar quicker, if need be.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-07-2020, 07:46 AM

I forget, but there's some rule about putting a link to your AGF ad in your signature? Er, wait - if you also have it advertised on, say, reverb, you can put that link in your AGF ad, but nowhere else. Something like that. Like I said, I forget! I've only advertised once here at AGF. Hopefully a more experienced AGF seller here will straighten this out!

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 03-07-2020, 08:09 AM

Make sure you update your subject line to SOLD, if you do sell it. Drives me crazy when people forget to do that.
Old 03-07-2020, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCougar View Post
I forget, but there's some rule about putting a link to your AGF ad in your signature? Er, wait - if you also have it advertised on, say, reverb, you can put that link in your AGF ad, but nowhere else. Something like that. Like I said, I forget! I've only advertised once here at AGF. Hopefully a more experienced AGF seller here will straighten this out!
No, the only commercial sale link members may put in their signatures is one to their Classified ad. We cannot link to any other sale site in our signatures. You may include it in your ad.

If any member needs help setting up a signature sale link, PM me... be glad to help.
Old 03-07-2020, 08:13 AM

As hard as it may be for you to do, take photos as if you are the potential buyer, showing every flaw in the most accurate way possible, under strong light and at angles that allow for a full assessment. Describe those flaws in detail in your listing.

The classic mistake is taking a number of shots of the top straight on, so that it is impossible to assess the height of the saddle and bridge. Likewise, action at the 12th fret. Good shots across the fretboard showing a quarter laying astride frets 11 and 12 under the strings will actually help you sell your guitar for a fair price, and reduce the likelihood it gets sent back to you. So will shots of the frets without strings in the way.

For vintage guitars, shots of the bridge plate, internal bracing, crack repairs, neck relief, fretboard divots, tuners, pickguard, bridge to top connection, areas of overspray, and any bellying present, all will help you sell your guitar at a fair price for its condition.

Be prepared to get a call from an unhappy buyer from time to time anyway. I find it less expensive, usually, to listen to them, understand their issue, and provide a partial refund to remedy it, than to have it shipped back.

A few nice ones, a few beaters, and a few I should probably sell...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion