The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 04-14-2017, 06:51 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Arrow Sold: Charis 13 Fret SJ Englemann/Striped Macassar

2014 Charis 13 Fret SJ Englemann/Striped Macassar...Amazing instrument!!

I acquired this guitar in a trade and have been playing it for a while and truly love this guitar. A 13 fret cutaway with a deeper body makes SOOO much sense to me. First you get amazing playability. Secondly you get added tone due to the positioning of the strings to the soundhole. Third the cutaway gives you excellent access to the upper frets. Add a deeper body profile to that mix and Voilà you've got a GREAT guitar. In fact, I'm so impressed by this guitar that I will likely have one built to my specs someday down the road.

The particulars:

Englemann Spruce: My personal favorite top wood. Great headroom, with the added "roundness" of tone. Not to mention, I love the pure white color. Many better known makers now use Engelmann in lieu of German Spruce since good Engelmann has many of the traits desirable in a good German top and it is more economical. In appearance it is like German Spruce, but unlike German Spruce, it seems to be more uniform in consistency. The tops are often more homogeneous looking with the early and late-growth rings being less distinct than those of Sitka. Like German Spruce, Engelmann has a beautiful ivory sheen and occasionally shows some pink streaking. It is also similar to German Spruce in workability.

Striped Macassar Ebony: If "eye candy" speaks to you, check this one out. From Celebes and Sulawesi Island in East Indonesia, Macassar Ebony offers good stability and superb, Rosewood-like tonality. Supply of this wood is erratic, especially in the higher grades, and demand has grown steadily over the years, so backorders are often necessary. When you pair it with a nice white Engelmann Spruce, you get an instrument of striking visual and sonic quality.

Other stuff: Playability is excellent as mentioned. Tone is loud and articulate. It is also a great strumming guitar. Good overtone content and yet excellent fundamental tone when played fingerstyle. I personally am not a flatpicker, but I have a friend who is and the guitar performed very well in that style of play. Condition is really good noting that there are a couple of indentions close to the edge on the lower bout. After a closer look, these are typical bumps but worth noting. I would want any buyer who gets serious to see these marks in a high res photo. I don't notice them at all and the guitar has been hanging on the wall next to my desk in my guitar room since I got it. But as I inspected the guitar and attempted to tell the whole story here, it is important that they be discussed. I don't believe they are an issue for most people who know wood guitars that get played inevitably get bumped, but for some people they might be of concern so I'll fault on the side of caution. The guitar has minor fret wear. Again, I will take high res pics for anyone who is serious by request.

This is the new bracing pattern which bring more tonal expression than even the older pattern did...amazing. This guitar sounds and plays wonderful. It has a standard and yet thin Charis standard neck, very comfortable and fast.

Specs:

Built: 2014
13 frets to body
Back/Sides: Striped Macassar Ebony
Top: Engelmann Spruce
Binding: Cocobolo
Top trim: Cocobolo
Bridge pins: Stained Bone
Rosette: Cocobolo/Abalone
Charis "C" Emblem in Cocobolo
13 fret to the body
Neck: 5 piece Mahogany/maple/rosewood/maple/mahogany
Fingerboard Width/Taper: 1 ¾ “ Nut – 2 ¼ “ Saddle
Scale Length: 24.9”
Pickup: L.R. Baggs Anthem

The price to have this guitar built would be $7750 per Bill Wise

Soldplus shipping and Paypal. Open to some trades with a major cash contribution and reasonable offers.

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!

Last edited by invguy921; 04-30-2017 at 10:18 AM.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

Smile Another stunner!

No way to go wrong with this axe from Mike! Great seller and a super guy.

Most here know Mike has been juggling wonderful guitars like crazy after a family situation ate some of his faves...
One of these days things will settle down Mike! Until then all the best as you continue to dial your quiver.
At least you get to play a whole bunch of SPECTACULAR INSTRUMENTS!

Play it while you can!

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 04-14-2017, 01:58 PM

...And the hits just keep on coming...
Another beautiful guitar.

David
Old 04-14-2017, 10:51 PM

Some lucky picker has to go for this. Charis guitars are top of the line in every way, especially tone. I have an SJ from Bill Wise at Charis and its just amazing.
I highly urge anyone wanting a custom piece of art for picking, fingerstyle or rhythm or all three to take a close look here. Cannot believe this is still available.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 04-15-2017, 05:28 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
No way to go wrong with this axe from Mike! Great seller and a super guy.

Most here know Mike has been juggling wonderful guitars like crazy after a family situation ate some of his faves...
One of these days things will settle down Mike! Until then all the best as you continue to dial your quiver.
At least you get to play a whole bunch of SPECTACULAR INSTRUMENTS!

Play it while you can!

Cheers

Paul
Thanks Paul. You're right I've blown through a LOT of great guitars getting down to the ones I thought were keepers after I sold my keepers lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by westdm View Post
...And the hits just keep on coming...
Another beautiful guitar.

David
David, Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroad View Post
Some lucky picker has to go for this. Charis guitars are top of the line in every way, especially tone. I have an SJ from Bill Wise at Charis and its just amazing.
I highly urge anyone wanting a custom piece of art for picking, fingerstyle or rhythm or all three to take a close look here. Cannot believe this is still available.
hotroad, Sounds SOOO "cliche" to keep saying someone is going to love this guitar, but I can't think of another way to say what you've said. Thank you!

Here's yet another look at the back of this one. This Macassar is really special. The pictures only begin to tell the story

Old 04-15-2017, 10:27 AM

How is the condition, and how is it for strumming?
Old 04-15-2017, 11:04 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic View Post
How is the condition, and how is it for strumming?
Thanks for the interest! I covered the condition in the original post. here is what I said:

Condition is really good noting that there are a couple of indentions close to the edge on the lower bout. After a closer look, these are typical bumps but worth noting. I would want any buyer who gets serious to see these marks in a high res photo. I don't notice them at all and the guitar has been hanging on the wall next to my desk in my guitar room since I got it. But as I inspected the guitar and attempted to tell the whole story here, it is important that they be discussed. I don't believe they are an issue for most people who know wood guitars that get played inevitably get bumped, but for some people they might be of concern so I'll fault on the side of caution. The guitar has minor fret wear. Again, I will take high res pics for anyone who is serious by request.

Also, i think it is great for strumming. The guitar is actually very versatile.

Old 04-15-2017, 08:35 PM

Aw mannnnn! I've been telling myself for several years now that there's no harm in looking. I have what I like and I like what I have. GAS has no hold on me.

Then this one shows up! I've long been an admirer of Bill's work, and this one is stunning. I can't buy it, but then dreams are cheap! I'd love to hear it in action. I hope you find a good buyer for it soon, so I don't start rummaging around the house for things I could put in a yard sale...

cotton
Old 04-16-2017, 10:43 AM

Thumbs up

Absolutely awesome Charis. Gorgeous!!! Awesome seller too - great deal here
Old 04-16-2017, 12:56 PM

Default Charis trade?

Hi-
Interested in a trade for a Martin 1937 D28 Authentic?
Mike
Old 04-16-2017, 03:21 PM

Darn! I just got drool on my keyboard.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 04-16-2017, 06:39 PM

I love my Charis 13 fret. Rich, full and clear, with a wonderful voice, some say Olsonesque. The 13 fret design is great and the cut away provides plenty of access up the fretboard. The neck is slim and fast, very comfortable. Bill Wise, the builder, is a great guy, picks up the phone himself and is free with his time and experience. I may be biased……………this is one nice guitar.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:20 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Chas View Post
I love my Charis 13 fret. Rich, full and clear, with a wonderful voice, some say Olsonesque. The 13 fret design is great and the cut away provides plenty of access up the fretboard. The neck is slim and fast, very comfortable. Bill Wise, the builder, is a great guy, picks up the phone himself and is free with his time and experience. I may be biased……………this is one nice guitar.
B Chas, you nailed it. Thank you. I would suspect that your guitar and mine are cut basically from the same bolt of cloth because what you said exactly matches mine. Super easy to play, Tone rings on and on...

Old 04-19-2017, 07:44 PM
Lovin' nice guitars...

This guitar is a great guitar.

I've had a number of people inquire, and an offer this morning that wasn't gonna work. But, if someone has an interest, let me know. I'm open to reasonable offers.

Here's another look this this gorgeous guitar:

Last edited by invguy921; 04-20-2017 at 05:27 AM.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:36 PM

PM'd you. This was worth a bump to the top anyway.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars