The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-27-2016, 07:37 PM

Default Martin Custom OM-28 VTS

Stopped by a Guitar Center today and got to play this guitar:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sKTNdUCxS24

All I can say is wow! This guitar sounded awesome. I'm not good at describing tone but this one rang like a bell and had plenty of bass to balance it all out. I also could feel the bass against my chest as I was playing it, more so than other guitars.
This model apparently is an exclusive for GC. While I was there I played several others including a CEO 7 ( I own one of these ) 000-28EC, and another GC exclusive a 000-MMV. Which I though all sounded great. But when I picked up the Custom Shop OM-28 VTS, there was no comparison. Now I just need to decide if I want to sell my standard OM-28 and buy this awesome guitar.
Anybody else play one?
Old 01-27-2016, 08:35 PM

have not played one; but I'm going to be in the market for an OM28 soon. wish I could try one out first.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 000JB View Post
Stopped by a Guitar Center today and got to play this guitar:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sKTNdUCxS24

All I can say is wow! This guitar sounded awesome. I'm not good at describing tone but this one rang like a bell and had plenty of bass to balance it all out. I also could feel the bass against my chest as I was playing it, more so than other guitars.
This model apparently is an exclusive for GC. While I was there I played several others including a CEO 7 ( I own one of these ) 000-28EC, and another GC exclusive a 000-MMV. Which I though all sounded great. But when I picked up the Custom Shop OM-28 VTS, there was no comparison. Now I just need to decide if I want to sell my standard OM-28 and buy this awesome guitar.
Anybody else play one?
Well, not so exclusive... make sure you check with forum sponsor Jon @ MFG about his:

http://www.myfavoriteguitars.com/pro...03&cat=&page=1

Agree it sounds incredible.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 01-27-2016, 10:20 PM

I played one yesterday. Yes, It was amazing! It was the finest sounding guitar in the store.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:34 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for posting. The OM28 is very special indeed.

Can I just say a pet peeve of mine are these video's where the person Talks ...and talks ...and talks! ....We can read spec's ....but for me, I typically want to 'listen and hear the instrument.' End rant.

I think I will go on an OM28 safari sometime soon. To me they bring the richness of a dread with the balance and clarity of an OM.
Collings D1 Traditional
Collings OM1C
Gibson EC Ebony Songwriter Custom
Emerald X20
Emerald X30
Martin OMC-28 Custom
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Fender 61 Wildwood 10 Strat
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC

www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 01-28-2016, 05:37 AM

I picked one up earlier this month. Mine was strung with Martin Retros when I bought it which I've since replaced with the same and they really do make the sound pop - very dry, very open. My GC had 2 of that model and this one was far and away the more balanced and better sounding guitar.

Reviewing the specs and watching the vids for both the GC and the MFG version, it sounds to me like the MFG version may also have the torrified bracing. My understanding from a another forum member is that the GC version only has the torrified top. Don't know if that makes a significant difference, but I suspect it certainly could. Looks like MAP is about the same.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Well, not so exclusive... make sure you check with forum sponsor Jon @ MFG about his:

Agree it sounds incredible.
Yep...the one Jon has does sound incredible. Very nice guitar.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 01-28-2016, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'nCrunch View Post
I picked one up earlier this month. Mine was strung with Martin Retros when I bought it which I've since replaced with the same and they really do make the sound pop - very dry, very open. My GC had 2 of that model and this one was far and away the more balanced and better sounding guitar.

Reviewing the specs and watching the vids for both the GC and the MFG version, it sounds to me like the MFG version may also have the torrified bracing. My understanding from a another forum member is that the GC version only has the torrified top. Don't know if that makes a significant difference, but I suspect it certainly could. Looks like MAP is about the same.
MAP is always the same. Ted at LA guitars guarantees the lowest pricing on Martin's, I'm sure he would crush the GC pricing by 100's of $'s if not more as would Jon at MFG. You'd probably have nearly enough $$ left over to throw in a new 000-15sm.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:49 AM

After 50 years of playing I am down to nothing but Martin OM/000's, every one with different woods and from different series, including the first of a GC run of 30 OM-28s in 2012, Alpine over Madagascar, wonderful guitar.

That GC custom looks excellent, and yes any of our sponsors can match the specs and beat the price too, so you can get one from more than one source.

Whether 18, 28, 40 series, custom, GE or Authentic, I don't think Martin knows how to back a bad OM, to me the perfect size guitar.............

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 01-28-2016, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napman41 View Post
MAP is always the same. Ted at LA guitars guarantees the lowest pricing on Martin's, I'm sure he would crush the GC pricing by 100's of $'s if not more as would Jon at MFG. You'd probably have nearly enough $$ left over to throw in a new 000-15sm.
My point with regard to MAP is relative to perceived variance between the GC and MFG versions.

GC is $3,299, MFG is $3,399. Could the diff be attributable to the torrified bracing on the MFG version?

No doubt either guitar can be had for less than MAP.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

In the case of these dealer customs the actual price is most likely the actual price. Any stock Martin's...well, you can expect a better price than MAP. That's been my experience anyway?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 01-28-2016, 08:23 AM

Quote:
My point with regard to MAP is relative to perceived variance between the GC and MFG versions.

GC is $3,299, MFG is $3,399. Could the diff be attributable to the torrified bracing on the MFG version?

Gotcha. My bad.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:42 AM

Looks and sounds like a pretty sweet 1-guitar arsenal...or an amazing addition to a many guitar arsenal ;-)

2009 Martin OM-28 Marquis
2016 Gibson J45 Standard
Old 01-28-2016, 09:06 AM
Guest 1928

Quote:

As Jim said, there is no MAP pricing on Customs. The dealer can advertise at their actual price. I'm not sure if a spec sheet is available for the CG model, but Jon has the complete spec sheet on his site, including the list price of the Custom. You can see exactly how much he is discounting and exactly what custom features are included on the guitar.

BTW, you can get a VTS (torrefied) top on Customs, but VTS bracing is not available on Customs. That is reserved for Authentics and limited editions last time I checked.

I just looked at the two guitars. I can't tell as much about the GC example because the spec sheet is not shown. I do see that Jon's has a premium Sitka top and red spruce GE bracing. Not sure how many other differences there are, but those two things do add to the cost. Either way, the list price on Jon's is $5,664 and the GC list price $4,199.

Last edited by Guest 1928; 01-28-2016 at 09:29 AM.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Jon's custom uses a VTS sitka top, but the bracing is adirondack GOLDEN ERA bracing. This is a different bracing design and wood type than what's used on the standard OM-28. It's also a more expensive custom upgrade option. Jon's guitar also has upgraded Waverly (high end) tuners. He's also upgraded the neck to a declared "Genuine Mahogany" rather than the stock "select hardwood," which is a nice upgrade.

In addition to the VTS sitka, it looks like the GC version also declares an upgraded Genuine Mahogany neck rather than "select hardwood." No mention of tuners. The bracing is the biggest difference and is standard-scalloped sitka (rather than Golden Era adirondack). This change will affect tone but is a more affordable option. Some people prefer GE, others prefer standard.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Martin/C...26517442624.gc

Because of the Waverly tuners and GE bracing, Jon's guitar does appear to be a slightly better value. He's priced it at a rock-bottom 40% off list which is hard to beat. That said, you should get the guitar you love the sound of. If you play a guitar that speaks to you and that is less expensive than a pie in the sky you've never played, you'd be crazy not to consider what's sitting right in front of you. Never easy, but it's a great problem to be surrounded by beautiful guitar options. They're both exceptional instruments with similar tone, playability, and feel. 2 cents. Good luck!

Last edited by zoopeda; 01-28-2016 at 09:45 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion