The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-05-2015, 08:07 PM
Charter Member

Default Call me crazy but...NGD...Rainsong SMHX Hybrid

Who knew a carbon fiber guitar could sound so good? I was absolutely amazed when I played my new SMHX that arrived a day early from Ted & Helene at LA Guitar Sales. (Thanks Ted for all your help!) Had a Pre-Peavey CA-GXi and never really bonded with it. With the SMHX it was immediate! Incredibly light, loud, and resonant. Setup was perfect for me right out of the box. Not overly fond of the DR black coated strings but that's easily enough changed. They're not horrible I just know it will sound even better with different strings. All this with no hot/cold/humidity issues...what a find! My wooden guitars are gonna be lonely for a while. And that says a lot! I will try to post up some pics shortly when I can manage to put this thing down long enough. Anyone considering a Smokey and on the fence...jump on it. The carbon/glass fiber hybrid is the ticket. And it's less expensive than the all carbon fiber model to boot?!? I know the honeymoon is just starting but I don't think my feelings about this one are gonna change.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 11-05-2015, 08:35 PM

Congrats liew, RainSongs are great guitars. Pics?
Old 11-05-2015, 08:38 PM

Just watched a video where one of these was played. Amazing sound!

I don't know, pretty much seems like the perfect guitar - no worries about proper humidity, no worries about leaving it in your car on a hot/cold day, no worries about getting caught in a rain storm with it out of its case, all that and it sounds great too!

Congratulations on a fine guitar!
Old 11-05-2015, 08:51 PM
Charter Member

Hi Jim,

Congratulations!

I didn't know what a hybrid guitar was, so I did a little looking. It uses carbon fiber combined with some fiberglass to mellow out the more brittle tone of all carbon fiber. The Rainsong Smokey SMHX Hybrid is a 12-fret design and also includes the LR Baggs Anthem pickup system. I found some You Tube demonstrations of your model; it sounds quite good. Here is one with Al Pettaway...

- Glenn
Old 11-05-2015, 08:52 PM
Charter Member

Oh, no you didn't Jim...

Congrats!

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 11-05-2015, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

After the original Composite Acoustics I didn't think I'd ever own another carbon fiber guitar. And I'd played the occasional Rainsong when in larger cities visiting guitar stores and though...meh...same old same old. But this new Hybrid with carbon/glass fiber is the real deal. Combined with a short scale 12 fret cutaway (only reason I could ever see a need for a cutaway?) this thing is truly amazing. Both unplugged and plugged in. Not a huge fan of Baggs (or anyone's) UST's but combined with the Anthem (is that the same as the Lyric?) in a dual source it's pretty darned sweet. And I can't stand it when someone says "it plays like butter" but I have to say...well...it does?!? It's ridiculous really. I mean...I didn't think a CF guitar could sound and play this way. I am the non believer when it comes to the whole CF thing but this one guitar has turned me around. If you live near a Rainsong dealer and they have one in stock do yourself a favor and go check it out. I really didn't think I'd like it this much. Figured it would be a great outside/campfire/outdoor gig guitar (and it is!) but I'd play it along side and maybe before some of my high end wooden models. It's an oxymoron...a great sounding/playing CF guitar. Go see for yourself? And in total disclosure...I have no relationship to Rainsong what-so-ever. For those of you my age or there about..."try it...you'll like it"!

Old 11-05-2015, 09:20 PM
Get off my lawn kid

That sounds great, but Al can make a ball of string and a cardboard box sound good.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 11-05-2015, 09:36 PM
Charter Member

So true...but even Al has his own LE Carbon/Glass Fiber Raison. (APLE) He's a believer too!

Last edited by llew; 11-05-2015 at 09:55 PM.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:29 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
So true...but even Al has his own LE Carbon/Glass Fiber Raison. (APLE) He's a believer too!
It really sounded excellent. Enjoy it!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion