The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-01-2013, 04:34 PM
Charter Member

Default Martin Full Thickness Vs Authentic neck

Hey all you Martin guys. I just got back from the friendly neighborhood Martin dealer talking about a possible custom shop build. I played a few guitars to check out neck profiles, the low profile on the HD-28 felt ok, as did the the performing artist taper on the D-18, but the one I think I liked the best was the one on the D-18 Authentic (not sure if it was the '37 or the '39, but no noticeable "V" is that makes a difference). My buddy that works at the shop suggested that I might like the Full Thickness neck, because it's the closest to the Authentic that I could get, though perhaps not quite so chunky.

I didn't get a chance to play a Full Thickness neck, and likely won't. Have you any comments on the similarities and difference between the Full Thickness and the Authentic?

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 11-01-2013, 05:36 PM

What is "Full Thickness?"

The Authentics are hard carved so there is some very slight variation, and they are very chunky necks, but Martin doesn't call them "full thickness", they are "Authentic barrel and heel". and the other profiles are:

Low Oval
Modified Low Oval
Low Profile
Modified V
Performing Artist

I am not familiar with any model that the neck profile is listed by Martin as "full thickness", maybe I missed it, but never heard of it.

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 11-01-2013, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

It's listed in the Martin dealer catalog/workbook... I done seen it.

Martin lists the D-42JC Johnny Cash sig as having a "Full Thickness" neck, and the 00-18 Tim O'Brien and the D-18 Del McCoury 50th Anniv are both listed as having "Rounded Full Thickness V w/ 30s style heel."

That having been said... I really don't know the details. My friend who's the repair guy there says it's the closest the custom shop comes to the Authentic without spending a fortune (or words to that effect).

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 11-01-2013, 05:56 PM

A few years back during my search for a 00, I tracked down a 00-18 Tim O'Brien and I do believe 'full thickness' was in the description. As it turned out the neck profile on the TOB was way too large for me so I passed on it.

'More guitars than I need but not as many as I want.'
Old 11-01-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post
It's listed in the Martin dealer catalog/workbook... I done seen it.

Martin lists the D-42JC Johnny Cash sig as having a "Full Thickness" neck, and the 00-18 Tim O'Brien and the D-18 Del McCoury 50th Anniv are both listed as having "Rounded Full Thickness V w/ 30s style heel."

That having been said... I really don't know the details. My friend who's the repair guy there says it's the closest the custom shop comes to the Authentic without spending a fortune (or words to that effect).
OK, some rare signature models, but not listed as neck profiles on their neck width/shapes page, so yes real hard to find.

Most custom shops are expensive, had a few, and in Authentic territory, why not just get an Authentic? I am talking mahogany, rosewood Authentics are overpriced IMO. What are you looking for?

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 11-01-2013, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

The specs they're looking into for me are based on the new spec D-18, with Adi top, Vintage Burst, 2 5/16" string spacing at the bridge... possibly flamed hog B&S and D-21 special style fretboard inlay... and yeah, possibly the Full Thickness neck.

They said that they'd recently ordered one with that neck profile, and the upcharge was pretty small.

Sort of a poor man's authentic... but even with "all those options" (okay, there's not really that many) I'm expecting that my price quote will be substantially lower than an Authentic, and I suspect that if I were to go forward I'd probably forgo the flamed hog, though we shall see.

(Call me Dan)
Old 11-01-2013, 06:26 PM
Charter Member

wondering if "full thickness" relates to a neck profile with full shoulders?

i know that definitely fills in the hand for me when i play anything with full shoulders(Goodall comes to mind as does a few luthier builts).

d
Old 11-01-2013, 06:47 PM
Guest 1928

The term "full thickness" describes the generally larger, more rounded neck shape used before the Low Profile neck shape was introduced in 1985. Before that, there were no options on production guitars. You could order "V Shaped" through the Custom Shop but that was it. Now they have several fairly well defined, named neck shapes.

In my experience what they call Full Thickness now is similar to a late 70's or early 80's neck, but they were hand carved, so you'll find more variation than now. If you want it a little thicker, you can specify "Full Thickness, sanded as little as possible" when ordering a custom.

The current Full Thickness is not quite as beefy as an Authentic neck, especially closer to the body.
Old 01-14-2017, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

Here's a great link discussing all the different neck profiles. Image included.

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforu...e#.WHpsNrHMzVo

Old 01-14-2017, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post
The specs they're looking into for me are based on the new spec D-18, with Adi top, Vintage Burst, 2 5/16" string spacing at the bridge... possibly flamed hog B&S and D-21 special style fretboard inlay... and yeah, possibly the Full Thickness neck.

They said that they'd recently ordered one with that neck profile, and the upcharge was pretty small.

Sort of a poor man's authentic... but even with "all those options" (okay, there's not really that many) I'm expecting that my price quote will be substantially lower than an Authentic
Not necessarily substantially cheaper than a D-18A 1939. If you buy correctly (i.e. as close to 40-off MSRP as possible), you can get out the door with the Authentic for around 4k -- and you'll get the extra light build, full hide glue construction, heavily scalloped bracing, tucked bridge plate, etc.. options that are not normally available for order through the custom shop.

The custom you're describing above, assuming you start with a D-18GE base and build from there, will get to 4k in quite a hurry -- particularly if you go with the flamed hog wood.

Bottom line... see if you can deal with the 1 11/16 nut and 2 1/8" string spacing of the D-18A 1939. The neck on this one and its Rosewood sister in the D-28A 1941 is more rounded and deeper top to bottom than any of the other mod-v necks in the GE/Marquis production series.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 01-14-2017, 04:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
The custom you're describing above, assuming you start with a D-18GE base and build from there, will get to 4k in quite a hurry -- particularly if you go with the flamed hog wood.
HUGE mistake. Start with the standard D-18, swap in Red Spruce, and build from there. Under $3k, guaranteed. (Have you visited sites to see similar customs by Wildwood (Ohio) or MyFavoriteGuitars (Florida)? Don't know they have your exact design, but you'll get a sense for pricing on similar customs.)
Old 01-14-2017, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
Here's a great link discussing all the different neck profiles. Image included.

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforu...e#.WHpsNrHMzVo

I have been thru a custom shop neck. Those dimensions do not include the thickness of the fingerboard
Fret-board is .232 and necks are sanded down about .020
Example; Modified low oval would be .792 at 1st and .879 at 10th / full thickness .862 1st and .978 10th
My brother-in-laws 1969 D35 measures .844 at the 1st and .995 at the 10th and is quite meaty even with 1 11/16's nut and 2 1/8 at the 12th

My Custom CEO-7 has a Custom Shop profile #1 neck with 1 3/4 nut with PA Taper and measures .871 at 1st and .918 at 10th and is like a good feeling "C" shape

Last edited by bluetweed; 01-14-2017 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-14-2017, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

Do you guys realize this thread is over 3 years old?
Old 01-14-2017, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindboyjimi View Post
Better late than never.

Last edited by Kerbie; 01-15-2017 at 04:44 AM. Reason: Rule #1
Old 01-14-2017, 09:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindboyjimi View Post
**face-palm**

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion