The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-14-2024, 06:35 PM

Default Newbie here, needing advice.

Hi everyone!
I'm new to guitar playing and am in need of a guitar. The one I had was an old Stella Harmony which smelled very strongly of cigarette smoke and Ozium. Having taken "Ol' Stinky" back to my brother's house, I find myself needing to buy a new guitar. I'm also a 67-year old tuba player, so for me paying for a premium type guitar really isn't an option unless I get really good really fast (yeah, like that's gonna happen). I don't need to spend over $1000 for a guitar when I have already spent many more times that amount on 6 tubas, I've got to keep the home-front happy if you know what I mean. What I'm looking for is a guitar that I can spend no more than $350 on that will be a good instrument for me to learn on, wear well and hopefully retain a certain degree of it's value. I am well aware that this forum has many skilled luthiers, any decent forum would. And the last thing I want to do is start a nasty discussion on why Brand X guitars are way better than Brand Z guitars. I'm just a green as grass newbie looking for a little insight. How about it guys and gals? Thanks in advance!
Old 05-14-2024, 06:38 PM
Curiouser and curiouser

I think, perhaps, something in the parlor size might be good. Maybe a 00 style? That should leave enough room for the tuba, should you be so inclined...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg TubaGuitar.jpg (47.4 KB, 319 views)
Old 05-14-2024, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlepporello View Post
Hi everyone!
I'm new to guitar playing and am in need of a guitar. The one I had was an old Stella Harmony which smelled very strongly of cigarette smoke and Ozium. Having taken "Ol' Stinky" back to my brother's house, I find myself needing to buy a new guitar. I'm also a 67-year old tuba player, so for me paying for a premium type guitar really isn't an option unless I get really good really fast (yeah, like that's gonna happen). I don't need to spend over $1000 for a guitar when I have already spent many more times that amount on 6 tubas, I've got to keep the home-front happy if you know what I mean. What I'm looking for is a guitar that I can spend no more than $350 on that will be a good instrument for me to learn on, wear well and hopefully retain a certain degree of it's value. I am well aware that this forum has many skilled luthiers, any decent forum would. And the last thing I want to do is start a nasty discussion on why Brand X guitars are way better than Brand Z guitars. I'm just a green as grass newbie looking for a little insight. How about it guys and gals? Thanks in advance!
I build everything I play, but check the reviews of Orangewood Guitars.
Old 05-14-2024, 06:52 PM
Charter Member

Welcome!

In the $350 range, Yamaha makes guitars that are more than adequate. They would be the first brand I would look at. You may find a good Alvarez in that price range as well.

I’m not too up to date on the lower end guitars, but there are decent instruments to be had in that price range, especially if you are open to buying used. If you know someone who is experienced, they may be a help in finding a really good used guitar for a great price.

Hope you find your guitar. Stick around and progress with us. No matter how long anyone here has played, we were all beginners at one time, and we are all still progressing. There is so much good advice and direction here. I’ve certainly learned more here than I ever knew before.

Good luck!
Old 05-14-2024, 07:06 PM

I agree with Pickcity. Yamaha makes the best student guitars out there. You won't find an exceptional one, but you won't find a bad one either.
2022 Guild F512E - Maple
Old 05-14-2024, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGITM View Post
I think, perhaps, something in the parlor size might be good. Maybe a 00 style? That should leave enough room for the tuba, should you be so inclined...

Yep! I've got that photo in my misc. tuba pics.
My 5/4 sized tuba is safely locked up in our music room at church, My helicon and Zo "Tiny Dragon" are currently the only two in the living room and my 4/4 sized York is in the practice room. Both of my sousaphones are currently non-functional and are in the top of my garage. I have just enough room for 1 good sized guitar.

Last edited by Schlepporello; 05-14-2024 at 07:27 PM.
Old 05-14-2024, 07:24 PM

OK, here's where the uninformed uneducated guitar geek in me is gonna stick it's neck out. What about Epiphone guitars or Alvarez Guitars?
Thanks for your help, by the way guys!
Old 05-14-2024, 07:25 PM

Default Think Yammie

I agree with a couple others. Think Yamaha. I disagree with one post that says it's unlikely you will find an exceptional Yammie. I think it's quite likely. My FG-820-12 is magnificent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlepporello View Post
Hi everyone!
Old 05-14-2024, 07:30 PM
Curiouser and curiouser

Serious question: Any idea on what size? You can learn on just about anything, but your hand size and body frame will make some guitars easier to learn on than others. Dreadnaughts are the bigger bodied guitars. OMs and 000s are a bit smaller (in both general shape size and depth), and 00s smaller still. Scale length is also a factor. The longer scale lengths mean you'll reach farther away from your body to play the traditional chords along the first 3 frets. Shorter scale guitars move closer to the body of the guitar so you aren't reaching out quite so far.

If you aren't sure, it might be worth a few trips to a guitar store where you can try a variety of guitars to help determine what 'feels right' for you. Then you can start to narrow down a brand/model based on that info?

Just a suggestion.
Old 05-14-2024, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

In your price range, you'd be hard pressed to beat a Yamaha.... They are probably the most consistently decent guitar in your designated price point. That said, if you're hankering for an Epiphone or Alvarez play a few and see how you like them but do look at the Yammies.....

Good Luck & Happy Hunting,

Scott
Old 05-14-2024, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGITM View Post
Serious question: Any idea on what size? You can learn on just about anything, but your hand size and body frame will make some guitars easier to learn on than others. Dreadnaughts are the bigger bodied guitars. OMs and 000s are a bit smaller (in both general shape size and depth), and 00s smaller still. Scale length is also a factor. The longer scale lengths mean you'll reach farther away from your body to play the traditional chords along the first 3 frets. Shorter scale guitars move closer to the body of the guitar so you aren't reaching out quite so far.

If you aren't sure, it might be worth a few trips to a guitar store where you can try a variety of guitars to help determine what 'feels right' for you. Then you can start to narrow down a brand/model based on that info?
Just a suggestion.
Yep, a dreadnaught is pretty well gonna be a must. I stand 6' 6" tall so my reach can pretty well be summed up accordingly. I'm thinking that Stella that my brother had was an OM and it really felt small.
Old 05-14-2024, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, I think that the Yamaha FG-830 is pretty much a slam dunk in that price range... you'll rarely see this kind of agreement on this site.

Though, personally, my only Yamaha instrument is my YCB-661 which I don't play as much as I should.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 05-14-2024, 08:25 PM

If you’re open to the used market, I see Taylor GS Mini’s on marketplace for $400 routinely. Thats what I paid for mine on marketplace a few months ago.
Old 05-14-2024, 08:27 PM
Curiouser and curiouser

Agree on the Yamaha FG-8XX... great guitar and a steal at the price point. Yamaha is making some of the very best guitars across the spectrum... great quality and consistency.
Old 05-14-2024, 09:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarhog View Post
If you’re open to the used market, I see Taylor GS Mini’s on marketplace for $400 routinely. Thats what I paid for mine on marketplace a few months ago.
Yeah but if he feels that an OM is too small, the GS Mini is going to minuscule!

And, whatever it is, leave room in the budget for the professional set-up, to make playing easier. That usually comes in the sentence after the Yamaha recommendation in these parts!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
new guitar player, newbie