The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-08-2024, 04:17 AM

Default Looking for a 'simple' vocal harmonising pedal

I have a Boss VE-8. It's now heading for ebay. Used it once at a gig after much practice with it. Problem for me is the guitar section of the pedal. It inteferes with my guitar EQ and varies according to amp or PA. Well, so what, I hear you sigh? It's just that trying to make changes to the VE-8 at a gig or open mic, is too much of a faff for an old codger like me. I only wanted it for the chorus effect. Anyway, I don't need the guitar bit, nor do I use the loop (I thought I would, but there you go) so I just want the vocal harmoniser and the chorus pedal functions.

Any ideas out there for a simple vocal harmoniser and chorus pedal. It doesn't have to be a combo ... I can see me getting a wee pedal board ... Nothing too fabulous required. Ideally, works off battery as well.

Cheers, folks. Thanks for reading.

Auden Chester 45 Cedar/Rosewood
Eastman AC322ce Spruce/Mahogany
Sigma SDM-SG5 Spruce/Mahogany
Deering Goodtime Leader O/B banjo
Epiphone IBG SG (in cool dude black)
Old 05-08-2024, 04:33 AM
Charter Member

If I lived closer to you Malcolm then for simple vocal harmonies I would suggest........ Me!

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 05-08-2024, 12:34 PM

TC-Helicon Perform-VG might be something you need.
Old 05-08-2024, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

TC Helicon Harmony Singer is about as easy as you can get.
Old 05-08-2024, 02:28 PM

I don't understand why you can't just set the guitar effects on the VE8 flat and then EQ elsewhere. The VE8 is a super simple pedal and the harmonies work great.
Old 05-08-2024, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
If I lived closer to you Malcolm then for simple vocal harmonies I would suggest........ Me!
Ha, ha! It would be a pleasure, Robin. PS just back in from my local folk club .. all acoustic, of course, but you get quite a few enthusiastic harmonies when you sing a well known song.

Last edited by A Scot in Otley; 05-08-2024 at 04:54 PM.
Old 05-08-2024, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
I don't understand why you can't just set the guitar effects on the VE8 flat and then EQ elsewhere. The VE8 is a super simple pedal and the harmonies work great.
Harmonies are v good, I agree. I tried the 'flat' thing ... assuming around 50 was flat, but either I failed to save it correctly, or the 'flat' setting is a bit more problematic depending on output. Even so, the button pressing to access stuff is tiresome to me. That might just be my lazy gene, but I prefer warbling and twanging to footering with buttons. I need something with any alterations quick and visible.

Cheers

Old 05-08-2024, 06:53 PM

If you get separate pedals, one for harmony and one for chorus, you may likely have to set the key for the harmony versus having the guitar automatically setting the harmony as it can do in the VE-8. If all your songs are in the same key all is OK, otherwise you may be changing key on the harmony pedal often,

The VE-8 has routing settings for the outputs that the guitar could be set to send its signal to one of the output jacks as 'dry' and it would have no effects applied. The dry guitar signal could then be sent to a separate chorus pedal of your choosing. The VE-8 would still be able to use the guitar to set the harmonies automatically this way. You would have the good harmonies of the VE-8 and a guitar signal path that is more straight forward, plus you keep the VE-8 if you decide to dig into how it works further. I like my VE-8, but I wish it had a slapback echo effect for vocals.

The vocal would be sent to an XLR output(L) and the guitar to a 1/4" Line output(R). This is on page 5 of the user manual.
Old 05-09-2024, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF_48 View Post
If you get separate pedals, one for harmony and one for chorus, you may likely have to set the key for the harmony versus having the guitar automatically setting the harmony as it can do in the VE-8. If all your songs are in the same key all is OK, otherwise you may be changing key on the harmony pedal often,

The VE-8 has routing settings for the outputs that the guitar could be set to send its signal to one of the output jacks as 'dry' and it would have no effects applied. The dry guitar signal could then be sent to a separate chorus pedal of your choosing. The VE-8 would still be able to use the guitar to set the harmonies automatically this way. You would have the good harmonies of the VE-8 and a guitar signal path that is more straight forward, plus you keep the VE-8 if you decide to dig into how it works further. I like my VE-8, but I wish it had a slapback echo effect for vocals.

The vocal would be sent to an XLR output(L) and the guitar to a 1/4" Line output(R). This is on page 5 of the user manual.
Cheers, Mark. That's a very useful and helpful explanation. Something to think about.

Old 05-10-2024, 10:12 AM

Quote:

How can he select 5 & 6? I believe you can only select one choice here for output.
Old 05-10-2024, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
How can he select 5 & 6? I believe you can only select one choice here for output.
When you enter into the output mode selection it goes first to 'HL' for the XLR outs. You select '5' which gives XLR(L) Vocal Effect, XLR(R) Vocal Dry. Press the 'Memory' button again to advance to 'Li' and select '6' which gives Line(L) Guitar effect, Line(R) Guitar dry. I just did try this to double check that it works this way sending outs to a mixer and it does.

Last edited by MarkF_48; 05-10-2024 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05-10-2024, 01:27 PM

Quote:
When you enter into the output mode selection it goes first to 'HL' for the XLR outs. You select '5' which gives XLR(L) Vocal Effect, XLR(R) Vocal Dry. Press the 'Memory' button again to advance to 'Li' and select '6' which gives Line(L) Guitar effect, Line(R) Guitar dry. I just did try this to double check that it works this way sending outs to a mixer and it does.
OK good to know. I didn't realize you could make a separate selection for XLR and line outs. Very flexible unit!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification