The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-06-2017, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Default Custom Build by Christopher Zambelli

I wanted to write a review for a guitar that I recently received from Christopher Zambelli from Beverly, West Virginia. Christopher is a very unique luthier in that he uses top wood that he personally harvested from his home state. The guitar that he built for me has old growth Adirondack spruce that he collected in the 1990’s. From the tree rings, he estimated that the tree began growing about the same time that our forefathers were founding this country. The wood has very fine lines and produces a beautiful crystalline tone that I absolutely love.

My relationship with Zambelli guitars came when I saw a local Craigslist ad for a smaller 12-Fret Dreadnought. At the time, I was just becoming interested in Norman Blake’s technique and thought it would be fun to have a 12-Fret guitar. This particular instrument was built in the shape of a dreadnought with a 1” reduction in the lower and upper bout width, a short scale while and retained the standard depth. The back and sides were Walnut that was also harvested in West Virginia. The guitar had a deep, very clear tone and really rang with overtones. It was very comfortable to play and extremely unique.

I came to find out that the guitar design came from a conversation that Christopher had with Norman himself. Apparently as time went by, it was becoming more difficult for him to play a full sized dread. One day, Norman remarked to Christopher that he wished he could find a smaller dreadnought that retained the depth and power of the old Martins he had played in the past, the result was the instrument that I had purchased. Unfortunately, in a foolish gas attack I traded it away. Fortunately, I am in the process of re acquiring it.

Several months ago, I approached Christopher about a custom build that was based on a pre war Martin D-18, with special purfling and a unique rosette. We discussed the sound that I was looking for as well as the neck profile that was comfortable for me. After a number of back and forth emails and phone calls, we decided on a final design. Christopher selected the mahogany back and sides from his personal stash as well as the aforementioned top. It was voiced to the sound that I asked for, which was a little deeper than a standard bluegrass dread. The guitar was assembled using hot hide glue exclusively.

All I can say is that I am overwhelmed with the guitar that I received. It has been about three months since it arrived and it continues to deepen and become more defined. This guitar has the proverbial “Piano” tone that is clear, deep and defined. It retains the depth of clarity and richness all the way up the neck. Honestly, I couldn’t be happier and wanted to share my experience with fellow AGF members.

I think that the difference in the shading of the two sides of the top are the result of the light that I had in the room, normally I don't see a difference in one side or the other.

2015 Ian Anderson Telecaster
1998 Ehlers 16J European Maple/Engleman
2022 Beard Mike Aldridge Resonator
2015 Beard Legacy R1992
2020 National Scheerhorn Resonator
1967 Guild D-50
2021 Harmony Silhouette
Old 09-06-2017, 11:59 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith7940236 View Post
I think that the difference in the shading of the two sides of the top are the result of the light that I had in the room, normally I don't see a difference in one side or the other.
Congratulations on a fine guitar. The shading you are referring to is called "Run Out" and its not due to the light in your room. Just Google Run Out if you want to learn more about it.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the heads up!
2015 Beard Legacy R1992
1967 Guild D-50
2021 Harmony Silhouette
Old 09-06-2017, 01:32 PM

Sometimes the camera picks up a lot of things that you don't normally see too. Runout never bothered me at all and in fact can look kind of cool really. If you take Tim's advice and Google it then you are bound to read all kinds of things about runout. You know what they say, welcome to the Internet

That's cool that he uses wood he collects from his home state. Lots of good options in WV too. In this case it looks like mahogany for backs and sides?
Old 09-06-2017, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Sometimes the camera picks up a lot of things that you don't normally see too. Runout never bothered me at all and in fact can look kind of cool really. If you take Tim's advice and Google it then you are bound to read all kinds of things about runout. You know what they say, welcome to the Internet

That's cool that he uses wood he collects from his home state. Lots of good options in WV too. In this case it looks like mahogany for backs and sides?
Yes, mahogany back and sides. I guess I forgot to take photos of them. He selected a really beautiful set.
2015 Beard Legacy R1992
1967 Guild D-50
2021 Harmony Silhouette
Old 09-06-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith7940236 View Post
Yes, mahogany back and sides. I guess I forgot to take photos of them. He selected a really beautiful set.
On an interesting note, a few months back I was looking through my local Craig's List and found a guy selling mahogany that was cut in a WV saw mill in the 1950's. His father used to work in the mill and this was back in the days when there were lots of furniture makers in the South. Good stuff!

Pics of the back and side would be nice too

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop