The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-01-2012, 06:53 AM

Default New Mossman (Sulphur Springs) - Opinions?

I'm looking for information on the current lineup of Mossman guitars. I played one at a local music shop and was blown away by the sound. It did however have a small crack in the finish, which in no way appeared to be structural.

Afterwards I went online and started doing some research, found Mossman has changed hands a few times since it's original owner Stuart Mossman. Also, that early models had bracing issues... but those issues have been corrected?

So my question is, what am I getting myself into by buying a new Mossman from Sulphur Springs? I went into the shop looking for a Martin HD-28s or HD-35, and came out blown away by the Mossman Texas Plains Custom. Does anyone know what the reliability is of the new Mossmans? What sort of things if any do I need to worry about. Obviously it's a much smaller company than say Martin, I don't look at that as a bad thing... but I'm concerned about the long term reliability. Spending $3,000 is not chump change for me, so I'm just trying to do my research here

Any expert advice especially from owners of newer models would be greatly appreciated!
Old 02-01-2012, 08:26 AM

So far as I know, John Kinsey and Bob Casey, the current owners, are building excellent guitars in the tradition started by Stuart Mossman in the 1970's. The guitars are excellent players and the sound is just wonderful.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:41 AM

The Mossman story is a long one, a piece of guitar making history, well worth a bit of googling...

I bought a Flint Hills in 1974. Never had any issue. Incredible voice of a guitar. I don't play it anymore, but what a personnality.

http://www.youtube.com/user/batzic
Old 02-01-2012, 08:46 AM

I have a friend that has a 70's something Mossman that I have played and it has a great sound. He also has an HD-28V that he bought recently and it getting the majority of his play, I think mostly because it is new. I can't hear much difference between the two guitars.

Incidentally, I live in a small town less than 30 minutes from Sulphur Springs and I've not been to their shop. Think that they had some guitars on consignment at a small music store in Sulphur Springs at one time. Sure that some of the experts will give you some input.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieG View Post
I have a friend that has a 70's something Mossman that I have played and it has a great sound. He also has an HD-28V that he bought recently and it getting the majority of his play, I think mostly because it is new. I can't hear much difference between the two guitars.

Incidentally, I live in a small town less than 30 minutes from Sulphur Springs and I've not been to their shop. Think that they had some guitars on consignment at a small music store in Sulphur Springs at one time. Sure that some of the experts will give you some input.
Interestingly the HD-28V was specifically one of the models I was looking at. Of all the Martin's I played I liked it the most... but I still thought the Mossman Texas Plains Custom sounded better. The flatpicking was pretty even but as soon as I compared finger picking, it felt like there wasn't even a contest. The Mossman had all sorts of different reactions to playing it hard and soft, it loved everything I threw at it. Most telling for me, the Martin had a much more metalic strings sound while the Mossman sounded like the wood was doing the singing. The Mossman was also much more balanced from E-to-E and from the Bottom of the Neck to the Top.

I'm fortunate enough to have a very old music shop where I live, Bucks County Folk Music Shop. The guy that owns the place is the original owner and has been a luthier for 40+ years. He held the Mossman in high regard, but I'd still like more opinions. Also tried a Gallagher that also sounded great, so I'm gonna go back for an A/B comparison between the two.

I've never had the chance to play any really old Martins, so I can't compare a new Mossman to them... but compared to new Martins including HD-28/V and HD-35 to my ears the Mossman was just plain better.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:05 AM

I've never actually played a Sulfur Springs Mossman, but have owned numerous Winfield Mossmans and a couple of Baxendale Mossmans, built when Scott Baxendale had the brand name. I still own my Baxendale Mossman 000-42, which is a great guitar.

The main structural problem with the the Winfield Mossmans wasn't with the bracing, but with the two different neck attachment systems used, both of which had catastrophically high failure rates. Not every Mossman built at the factory in Winfield has needed a neck reset, but a large majority of them have.

The good news is that by this point, some forty years later, any Winfield Mossman still in circulation will have already had its neck reset, or isn't going to need that.

In any event, the reputation of the Sulfur Springs Mossmans is good. Those gentlemen learned from the mistakes of the predecessors, and haven't repeated them.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 02-01-2012, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

You cannot go wrong with a Mossman. Go for it.

Scott Baxendale owned Mossman when my brother got his in the late '80s. Scott still is making some mighty fine guitars.

Last edited by StringMeUp; 02-01-2012 at 09:23 AM.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:36 PM

Generally, I have found that the difference between Mossman sound and Martin dreadnought sound is that the Mossmans have a little more definition and less boom in the bass while retaining the same amount of "ring" in the mids and trebles. They also seem to play easier.
As noted above, the neck-attachment issues which plagued the originals have been addressed by the current owners, and should no longer be a factor (unless you leave yours overnight in the car). Mossmans are just sweet guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion