The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-06-2007, 09:17 PM

Default Martin HD-28 + Pure Western Mini = uneven volume across the strings?

Hello fellow acoustic guitarists! This is my first posting, so here it goes:

I just installed a K&K Pure Western Mini pickup in my Martin HD-28. I've tried recording a few songs, plugged directly into my 8 track recorder, but the treble/high E string has noticibly less volume than the other 5 strings. It's a lot more apparent when I fingerpick using a capo on a high fret.

The guitar is also a bit bass heavy when amplified, which is what I expected would happen with a rosewood dreadnaught. I'm looking for the best way to make the strings more even in volume, and to boost the volume of the high E string.

I'm thinking that a graphic equalizer will fix this. I've seen the Boss GE-7 equalizer pedal online, and wonder if this will be enough to boost my high E string volume. Have any of you tried this pedal? Would this be the best way to add more volume to that high E string? Any replies would be most appreciated.

Take care,
Eric (glo6stringer)
Old 11-06-2007, 11:29 PM

Eric,

I have K&K Pure Western Mini installed in a Taylor 810. I have NOT experienced any uneveness accross the strings.

Might it have something to do with transducer placement?

'94 Strat
'05 Taylor 810
'05 Gibson J45
'07 Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500M
Old 11-07-2007, 12:21 AM
Charter Member

An equalizer will boost (or cut) a particular frequency. Say you had one and boosted the same frequency as the open first string, which is 330 Hz, by quite a bit, say 12dB. Basically, you have increased the volume of that frequency 400%, and you will easily hear that boost.

The problem with this, though is twofold. First, it will increase the volume of the open first string, but less so for the 3rd fret of that string, even less for the 7th fret, etc. Second, that 330Hz frequency is found on other strings, either as fundamentals (e.g., 5th fret of the 2nd string, 9th fret of the 3rd string), as open string harmonics (e.g, 7th fret 5th string, 5th fret 6th string) or as fretted string harmonics (e.g, 14th fret of the 4th string fretted at the 2nd fret).

So, an equalizer will effect many things on the entire instrument and cannot be set to effect only the first string.

SBT pickups have been known to occasionally need repositioning for optimum sound, balance, etc. K&K minis are not immune from this. Although they work very well in most guitars with the recommended standard placement, sometimes they need to be mounted differently, which is kinda hard to do given the way they are mounted (i.e., glued in place). Some suggest using the tape mounting to find the best placement, but that method requires gluing the transducers to the tape in the first place. Good luck.

As to your "too much" bass response, that might be due to the body size (Dread) but it might also be due to the input impedance of the first gain stage of your signal chain. What is that value?

As to your weak 1st string volume, leaving aside the pickup, you can increase volume with a heavier gauge string or by increasing the break angle at the saddle.

Last edited by sdelsolray; 11-07-2007 at 12:31 AM.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:02 AM

Thank you both for the replies. tbv58: The transducers are in their optimal position according to K&K's installation instructions. I really wish i had gone to the tape installation method initially to find the optimal placement for my guitar.

sdelsoray: I didn't even think about how the equalizer would affect every instance of a given frequency anywhere else on the guitar. So, it seems like using an equalizer to increase the volume on one string is not the best way to go. I do like your idea of going to a heavier gauge string though. I currently use light gauge strings, with a .012 gauge 1st string. I'll try out a .013 gauge string.

Thanks again
Eric (glo6stringer)
Old 11-07-2007, 08:33 AM

I have the same problem for both high E and low E strings. It may be a problem with placement but I also used the K&K jig to install them. I think part of the problem could be with the design of the guitar. The closer the ends of the soundboard are to the bracing, the less the ends will vibrate. Fortunately I did attach my pickups with tape but I may leave them like they are because the problem is not very noticeable to me since I mostly strum.

I have to cut quite a bit of bass on mine but I have the standard sized K&K Pures. I use a GLX E-100 EQ which is a clone of the Boss EQ pedal. It works very well with this pickup even if it doesn't help with the string balance problem.

Seagull Artist Series Mosiac w/K&K Western

Godin SDxt (GFS Vintage '59 humbuckers, GFS Premium Overwound single coil) --> Digitech RP250
Old 11-07-2007, 08:08 PM

I switched out my .012 gauge high E string with a .013 gauge string... problem solved! My guitar is nicely balanced now when amplified. Even unamplified, that high E string rings nicely, and it doesn't overpower the other strings like I thought it might.

Thanks to all that replied to my first post.

Eric (glo6stringer)
Old 11-07-2007, 10:56 PM
Charter Member

Well, that was an easy adjustment to address your concerns. I wish all of them were that simple.

Welcome to the forum!
Old 11-07-2007, 11:10 PM

Hi Eric...
Welcome to the group. You have discovered we are a helpful group already it seems.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-08-2007, 09:08 AM

glo6stringer

I have the same problem with my guitar and high E string. So much so, I am taking it to the repair shop to have it looked at. I am using medium gage strings (.013 E). I want the repairman to verify correct or incorrect placement of the transducers. I am using the Boss EQ pedal to help mask the problem but I still don't like the result. This is driving me nuts.
1973 Guild S-100, 2 Humbuckers
1967 Guild D-40, Original factory acoustic electric. The volume and tone controls are on the soundboard. Has Guild mag pickup at base of neck.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbv58 View Post
Eric,

I have K&K Pure Western Mini installed in a Taylor 810. I have NOT experienced any uneveness accross the strings.

Might it have something to do with transducer placement?
+1 here too. Try moving the sensor to see if that changes the level before going out and buying an EQ or DI.

BIG GAP in GAS
'87 Guild D25-12 w/ K&K PWM- acquired in '07
'12 Voyage Air VAMD-02
'16 Alvarez MFA70- new to the herd 1/4/17
Ultrasound AG50DS4

Now playing in honor of The Bandito of Bling, TBondo & Dickensdad
Old 02-05-2010, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagull Lover View Post
I have the same problem for both high E and low E strings. It may be a problem with placement but I also used the K&K jig to install them. I think part of the problem could be with the design of the guitar. The closer the ends of the soundboard are to the bracing, the less the ends will vibrate.
This has me thinking as I wait for my HD-28V to come back from having the mini's installed; Because of the forward shifted bracing of the vintage series, do I have a smaller bridgeplate, potentialy causing what you are talking about?

Just wondering if I made the right choice in pickup?
Old 02-05-2010, 08:05 AM

It sounds like you should try a K&K preamp before you do anything else. Both the Pure and Pure XLR inputs are impedance matched to the K&K pickup, and should improve the tone. It did for me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification