The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-03-2022, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

Default New Enya NexG= Cool!

Please go to the following AGF thread to view a new carbon fiber/composite Enya Acoustic-electric: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=655178
Adamas I 2087GT-8
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 10-03-2022 at 03:52 PM.
Old 10-03-2022, 05:45 PM

These are growing on me. The quality of sound is simply undeniable. Have to admit that I often "hear" my eyes. If someone had played me what comes up in that video, I couldn't be sure what kind of of materials or what brand was used. All I could say is that it most definitely sounds like a guitar. These are cool!
Old 10-04-2022, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, Steelvibe, it looks like a neat concept and is low-cost, too!
Adamas I 2087GT-8
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 10-08-2022 at 09:48 AM.
Old 10-16-2022, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

I was right up to having this in my 'Cart' on their website but decided to not pull the trigger and wait for some responses to my questions on 'that other thread' which remain unanswered. And while I'm usually fine with being a 'beta tester' for something new and technologically cool, these days I'm a little more careful and the more I looked into things the more it started to seem a bit 'toyish' or 'gimmicky-ish' so I ultimately just bailed on what would have been an impulse purchase.

I'm not saying that I won't ultimately find this useful and fun but for the moment I've decided to wait until some others pull the trigger and post their NGD for it! This whole retirement thing seems to have (finally?) matured me, at least in a financial aspect. My wife certainly loves this 'new me'!!
Old 10-16-2022, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Yeah, Steelvibe, it looks like a neat concept and is low-cost, too!
It was the 'low cost' thing that had me itching to pull the trigger. But in the end it is still a chunk of money these days for me!
Old 10-16-2022, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
It was the 'low cost' thing that had me itching to pull the trigger. But in the end it is still a chunk of money these days for me!
I know what you mean, Scott! Regarding the Enya Nova Go, it was an impulse purchase for me and I think since getting it in August I've played it for a total of 30 minutes. It's a decent little and rugged travel guitar but its tone is uninspiring to play. It's there if and when I need it for something or other but at $139.99 it seemed at the time and probably still is a good alternative ax to keep my more expensive guitars out of danger. I will, however, take the Enya Nova Go over the Martin Backpacker any day of the week.
Adamas I 2087GT-8
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 10-16-2022 at 02:13 PM.
Old 10-16-2022, 01:59 PM

While I love how well engineered it is, I also have so many questions. So here is my written review having never had one in my hands- prejudices and ignorance abound!

It is debatable that these are even a work of art. There is stiff competition among other composite/ CF acoustic guitar manufacturers for sure. Yes, you pay a lot for those guitars and less for this one...but that really shows in this case.

Is it an acoustic travel guitar? While it is certainly robust enough to leave in a hot or cold car, it severely lacks in acoustic presence- probably appealing more to the electric guitarist. But maybe even that isn't true. Listening to reviews through $150 JBL cans, I can't imagine the electric guitarist enjoying that sound with stiff acoustic guitar strings. And what about travel anyway? One could not confidently fly with it without a very possible gate check (38" overall length out of the case).

So what does it do really well then? What is the goal? About the closest thing I can compare it to would be like a synth guitar, but oriented with a fretboard instead of keys. It just kinda smacks of "modern technology meets guitar-shaped object." Hmmm....I predict the ratio of units sold to units re-sold to be pretty tight. Everything new and yet nothing new under the sun here folks.

So did I get the job?
Old 10-16-2022, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

It reminds me of a Yamaha Silent Guitar with some "next generation" electronics. I bought the nylon version of the SLG, with the thought of "dabbling" with nylon. It wasn't the satisfying experience of playing a decent acoustic... I sold it after a couple months.

Since the sound is all in the pickup, that solid bit could be wood, carbon fiber, or plastic, and would likely still sound the same.

Not for me, but I can see how it might be enough guitar for others.
Old 10-16-2022, 04:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
It reminds me of a Yamaha Silent Guitar with some "next generation" electronics. I bought the nylon version of the SLG, with the thought of "dabbling" with nylon. It wasn't the satisfying experience of playing a decent acoustic... I sold it after a couple months.

Since the sound is all in the pickup, that solid bit could be wood, carbon fiber, or plastic, and would likely still sound the same.

Not for me, but I can see how it might be enough guitar for others.
I thought the same thing - Yamaha Silent Guitar with cool onboard EQ/effects and speaker. I, too, had a YSG and while it was neat it quickly became only that - a neat toy. Same with the Tonewood Amp. I'm glad I walked myself back from the impulse buy.
Old 10-16-2022, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

There are two things that I use my EO silent guitar for consistently. Some of those that the Enya might cover.

1) couch guitar that can be quiet enough while others are watching TV that I can play with one headphone in and still hear a good quality tone

2) travel guitar that is very compact and light and for my practice when I'm on business travel in a hotel. Again silent so with headphones I don't disturb my hotel neighbours if I wish to play at odd hours.

In case two I also bring my NUX along so when it is reasonable hours I can play without needing headphones.

For those not familiar with the EO it is similar to a Yamaha nylon slg200 but with several important differences.

The neck folds at the 12th fret with a hinge mechanism for a much more compact travel size. Both body pieces come off more easily and stay better attached than the Yamaha. The ergonomics are way better. The tuners are on the tail of the body (headless) this gives much better balance and an overall more compact instrument for the couch. Also the frame pieces are rounded and angled back to simulate more body depth getting your arm in a more natural position than the Yamaha.

The Enya might cover the couch guitar however it's steel string so will be louder unamplified.

For travel it is much larger although still considerably smaller than a normal guitar and taking up a lot less volume for a flight. I like the built in speaker idea.
However the quite short scale will be less effective as a practice instrument for me. (EO unfolds to full 650 mm /52 mm classical neck)

I am also extremely impressed with my X4 Enya seemingly much better fit and finish than Journey and a much fuller unplugged tone and I really like the onboard effects which is more than I can say for the tonewood I had on my Journey.

Sent from my motorola edge (2021) using Acoustic Guitar Forum mobile app

Last edited by Aspiring; 10-16-2022 at 05:35 PM.
Old 10-17-2022, 02:16 AM
Charter Member

I just visited Singapore last July and managed to try an example of the NEXG that the shop had on display. I went to a basement of a hotel where most of the music shops tend to locate. I knew about this before and was looking forward to it with the hope getting one to meddle around with.

The strings they had on the guitar as stock standard probably didn't do it justice, it was pretty worn but I honestly didn't think any good quality new strings would make the product any better. The cool looking guitar is indeed cool looking, the example I played is white in colour. The guitar, I am afraid felt pretty cheap in my hands. Out of the box set up is terrible. The built in speaker which is the highlight is plenty loud but that's about it, it doesn't sound pleasant. I was chasing a good acoustic replicated sound but it didn't deliver and sounded very electronic or twangy. The functions and features are smart for sure but the sound output is a little less desirable to my ears. The Yamaha Silent Guitar is much more premium built than the NEXG. I used to own a "custom" Little Martin with a built in speaker replacing the soundhole more than 10 years ago and that has pretty good speakers to boot which made the little martin growl like a dreadnought with full bass. The speaker on the NEXG is pretty flat EQ sounding but not sure if there is a setting that could change that though.

Obviously, I didn't buy one in the end.
Benavides D - Torrefied Adi/Madi RW
Lindsay Marcus D - Sitka/Madi RW

Gone But Not Forgotten
Tom Sands Model S (Crystal) - Italian/Fiddleback Hog
Old 10-17-2022, 07:11 AM
Charter Member

That was another concern, that although it looks pretty cool and well made, it would in person not live up to that when compared to the Yamaha Silent Guitar which I owned, thus increasing my displeasure in my purchase.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber