The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-19-2010, 11:22 AM

Location: Survive in Winnipeg, Manitoba - just North of Fargo, N.D.

Thanks to the great info (and encouragement) received from AGF members, I put the Godin back together myself. It plays beautifully and the intonation is very, very close to perfect.

Another great experience for me

Rob
Canada

Brackett Sitka/Walnut Dreads 'Carol Ann' and '26' plus other stringed stuff ...
Old 03-30-2024, 08:57 AM

Smile

Hey Wade! Just restrung my Godin 5th Avenue. Took the strings off, everything fell apart! I guessed at where the brudge should be and carried on and got the strings on.
When I started to try and tune it, it was a mess. Figured I had wrong placement for the bridge, repositioned and it wasn’t bad, not perfect, but not bad. Then I read your post..
Cart before the horse! To my surprise, I was almost dead on with your instructions for the bridge placement. I followed your instructions, and now it is perfect! Thank you ever so much for your post. Probably saved me 200 bucks! Had it pretty close through nothing else but dumb luck! Next maybe I'll look for a little instruction, but I'll probably just go and get myself in trouble again! Hard for an old dude like me (77) to change! Thanks again!
Old 03-30-2024, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

Great, informative thread!

Just noting that there are plenty of hollow body archtops with fixed bridges. All but a handful of the current Gretsch line of hollow bodies have "pinned" or "secured" bridges, including my MIK G5410. I believe Reverend's Pete Anderson hollow model has a fixed bridge. I think Heritage makes some. Gibson features a few. Somebody smarter'n me could list more. Anywho,..I'm not opposed to floating bridges - my beloved 5-string banjo has one, just mentioning.

Ain't Nobody's Business:
https://soundcloud.com/vern-equinox/...usiness-but-my
Old 03-30-2024, 05:09 PM

I’m glad you found my posts useful. Mr. Beaumont and Bob Devillis contributed, as well.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 03-30-2024, 05:58 PM

I know which of my guitars I can change all of the strings at once and which I can't. Ask me about my experiences with a Rick 12.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 03-31-2024, 04:16 AM

I had a Godin 5th Avenue and made the same mistake. It was also black. Upon close inspection under good light, I was able to see a faint trace of the bridge and salvaged things. But don't be that discouraged at any rate. Instructions from the previous posts should be helpful. Best of luck. EDIT: I should have read closer as I now see the problem has been solved.
Old 03-31-2024, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elroy Bean View Post
EDIT: I should have read closer as I now see the problem has been solved.
14 years ago so says the zombie thread…
Old 04-01-2024, 03:47 AM
Charter Member

There are soooo many stringed instruments where the bridge isn't fixed, just held in place by string pressure. The flattop guitar with its fixed bridge is the unusual one!

If you play fiddle, mandolin, banjo, resonator guitar, etc you'll be pretty used to positioning bridges for intonation after a string change.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 04-01-2024, 04:11 AM
Charter Member

Most floating bridge instruments I've owned, there's a visible tan line or faint scuffing to the finish where the bridge sits that makes getting it back to where it was simple enough. Though all of mine have been older and/or lightly finished, so I can see how it might be less obvious on a newer poly finished guitar. And yes, I change one string at a time, unless I also need to give it a good clean or setup tweaks.
Also double bass, electric bass, cittern, mandolin...
Old 04-01-2024, 05:31 AM

Pretty cool that this thread came back and helped someone else out 14 years later.

Also, my opinion of the 5th av/Kingpin stays the same: best budget jazzbox on the market.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 04-01-2024, 05:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Pretty cool that this thread came back and helped someone else out 14 years later.

Also, my opinion of the 5th av/Kingpin stays the same: best budget jazzbox on the market.

I LOVE my 5th Avenue acoustic. It's a great gigging guitar for my playing style.

I have replaced the original Tusq bridge with a rosewood one I shaped to fit. It has slightly less attack and a little less top end than the Tusq - I like it a bit more than the Tusq as I play purely acoustically and mic' on stage. The Tusq may well be better for the p/u fitted versions where you can e/q the timbre to how you want it.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion