The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-14-2024, 09:29 PM

Yamaha, several models pick one, for the money you’d be hard pressed to find something better.
Old 05-14-2024, 09:35 PM
Charter Member

I recommend a Yamaha as well. Alvarez and Epiphone are fine guitars, but based on the Yamahas I have played in the stores, I'd say go with a Yamaha.

Aria:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Old 05-14-2024, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I recommend a Yamaha as well. Alvarez and Epiphone are fine guitars, but based on the Yamahas I have played in the stores, I'd say go with a Yamaha.
Where is my "Thank You!" button?
Old 05-15-2024, 12:13 AM

Agree that Yamaha is probably the best option around given the consistency in quality, but you should try and get to a store and try out different models. I personally started out with a Yamaha F310, their signature entry guitar. 27 years later and it stills sounds good. I recently acquired a lower end Fender, and it really feels and sounds cheap. Should have bought another Yamaha...
Old 05-15-2024, 12:48 AM

Default Newbie here, needing advice.

I’d also recommend an entry level Yamaha, excellent build quality and decent tone, a dreadnought or Jumbo body would probably feel comfortable. A used all solid Eastman 1 or 2 series would also be an even better choice ( E1D, E1D special, E1D deluxe, E2D) if you can find one used for $350.

Alvarez are good, Epiphone are not great at this price point, their new higher end models are good but over your budget and often have very narrow nut widths which given your size might feel cramped even if you find a used ‘higher end’ one. A used AMI sigma would also be a good choice but they are thin on the ground in the US. Good luck with your search!
Gibson J-45 JT project "1942 Banner" (Adi/Mahogany)
Eastman E20P (Adi/Rosewood)
Sigma-SDR-28MLE (Adi/Madagascan Rosewood)
Sigma SDR-45 (Sitka/Rosewood)
Sigma SDM-18 (European/Flamed Mahogany)
Freshman FA400D (Engelmann/Rosewood)
Freshman FA300 (Cedar/Hog)
Voyage Air VAD-06

Last edited by bobster7; 05-15-2024 at 03:28 AM.
Old 05-15-2024, 01:13 AM

Good brand(s) have been mentioned.... but.
Do you have any stores with guitars within comfortable reach? Trying before buying is often a good idea.

I don't think guitar size needs to depend on player size. There's big people who like small guitars and small people who like big guitars. Frequently, people ask for advice on smaller guitars because their joints and muscles no longer appreciate playing a big guitar.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 05-15-2024, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGITM View Post
I think, perhaps, something in the parlor size might be good. Maybe a 00 style? That should leave enough room for the tuba, should you be so inclined...

Brilliant photie! To be used to respond to questions on AGF about effects pedals

PS I know a chap, Serious Sam Barrett, who gigs all over the UK wearing his ol' Stella 12 string. Plays it with thumbpicks and fingerpicks, with occasional slide use. British folk and American old timey vibe. That Stella cost him £25!! Can you get the Stella cleaned up ... or is it knackered?

Auden Chester 45 Cedar/Rosewood
Eastman AC322ce Spruce/Mahogany
Sigma SDM-SG5 Spruce/Mahogany
Deering Goodtime Leader O/B banjo
Epiphone IBG SG (in cool dude black)

Last edited by A Scot in Otley; 05-15-2024 at 02:58 AM.
Old 05-15-2024, 03:17 AM

Newbe to Newbe:

I have not seen anyone mention a nylon string guitar. You will be able to play longer with less pain on a nylon string. Also with your size you probably have large fingers which makes the wide fretboard of a nylon a plus.

I do agree with the Yamaha comments. I've got a FG800 and a C40. I find I play the C40 more.
Old 05-15-2024, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realoldguy View Post
Newbe to Newbe:

I have not seen anyone mention a nylon string guitar. You will be able to play longer with less pain on a nylon string. Also with your size you probably have large fingers which makes the wide fretboard of a nylon a plus.

I do agree with the Yamaha comments. I've got a FG800 and a C40. I find I play the C40 more.

Good shout but moving from Nylon to steel can be a bit of a shock on the fingers down the road.
Gibson J-45 JT project "1942 Banner" (Adi/Mahogany)
Eastman E20P (Adi/Rosewood)
Sigma-SDR-28MLE (Adi/Madagascan Rosewood)
Sigma SDR-45 (Sitka/Rosewood)
Sigma SDM-18 (European/Flamed Mahogany)
Freshman FA400D (Engelmann/Rosewood)
Freshman FA300 (Cedar/Hog)
Voyage Air VAD-06
Old 05-15-2024, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogma View Post
Yeah but if he feels that an OM is too small, the GS Mini is going to minuscule!

And, whatever it is, leave room in the budget for the professional set-up, to make playing easier. That usually comes in the sentence after the Yamaha recommendation in these parts!
I missed that post, thanks.
Old 05-15-2024, 05:28 AM

Another shout-out for both Yamaha and a pro set-up. I can only speak for the one Yamaha I've owned/played (a very lovely LL11e) - bang for buck it's simply one of the nicest guitars I've ever laid hands on. The build quality is second to none, it has the sweetest tone and sustains into the middle of next week.

Full disclosure - it's the one guitar I currently own that I haven't taken to my alchemist/luthier for a set-up. I'm actually worried that if it played any better than it currently does, I simply wouldn't play any of my other guitars...

Hope you find what you're looking for - and enjoy the journey wherever it takes you.

Angus
Yamaha LL-11e (Bert)
Gibson Chet Atkins Studio Classic
Terry Pack SJRS
Harmony H173 Prismatone (Clawdia)
Harmony H174 (Clawdette)
Martin Sigma DR28H
Old 05-15-2024, 05:37 AM

Your looking for mid priced guitar , something like a alvarez or Yamaha ( which would be my choice ) something with a solid wood top . and decent action .
Dont worry about this being your forever guitar - just get your feet wet.

Old 05-15-2024, 06:50 AM
Charter Member

Another vote for Yamaha in that price range. When I was in the Army I drug Yamaha FG335s all over the world. They were not taken care of very well and were tough enough to stand up to the challenge of going from North Carolina to Central America to the coast of California then to Germany and later to Russia. Any brand of guitar that can take those diverse climates with no care at all has to be well made.

Something like this:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...nought-natural
Martin D-41
Martin 000-18
Old 05-15-2024, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlepporello View Post
Hi everyone!

Hi, Schlepporello. Welcome!

Quote:
I'm new to guitar playing and am in need of a guitar. The one I had was an old Stella Harmony which smelled very strongly of cigarette smoke and Ozium. Having taken "Ol' Stinky" back to my brother's house, I find myself needing to buy a new guitar. I'm also a 67-year old tuba player, so for me paying for a premium type guitar really isn't an option unless I get really good really fast (yeah, like that's gonna happen). I don't need to spend over $1000 for a guitar when I have already spent many more times that amount on 6 tubas, I've got to keep the home-front happy if you know what I mean. What I'm looking for is a guitar that I can spend no more than $350 on that will be a good instrument for me to learn on, wear well and hopefully retain a certain degree of it's value.

I like Seagulls best. Made in Canada, they're terrific budget guitars. Lots of people look across the Pacific for good cheap guitars, but you don't have to.

Quote:
I am well aware that this forum has many skilled luthiers, any decent forum would.

Not all of us. I couldn't fix a parking ticket.

Quote:
And the last thing I want to do is start a nasty discussion on why Brand X guitars are way better than Brand Z guitars.

It won't be nasty, but you will end up with a lot of opinions to sort out. It's what's helpful and frustrating about online forums.

Quote:
I'm just a green as grass newbie looking for a little insight. How about it guys and gals?

The best method: Find a friend who knows guitars to help you.

Failing that, you can always show us guitars you're looking at and ask us our opinions.

Quote:
Thanks in advance!
You're welcome in advance!

Now 'scuze me while I go Google Ozium.

Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 05-15-2024 at 08:18 AM.
Old 05-15-2024, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobster7 View Post
Good shout but moving from Nylon to steel can be a bit of a shock on the fingers down the road.
Actually, it was a big relief for me.

When I was sixteen, knowing that I was interested in guitar, my parents bought me a nylon-string classical.

I don't think I said anything, but I hated it. I'd play it for hours, fighting against those big, slippery strings that kept rolling out from under my fingers. The flat fretboard made bar chords murder. And playing slide was a grim joke.

I finally got a steel-string flattop when I was about twenty. What a difference! I've never gone back to nylon. Ugh!

Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 05-15-2024 at 08:17 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
new guitar player, newbie