The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-19-2024, 03:50 PM

Default Dazzo vs. Ultratonic vs. K&K

Taking a quick poll here...

I have an HD28LSV which I'd like to put a pickup in.. I've always used K&K in the past but thinking about mixing it up. Guitar would be used primarily in a 5 piece bluegrass band which can get loud on stage so I'd like to be able to get a good sound even at louder stage volumes and heavy handed bluegrass strumming..

Heard great things about Dazzo and ultratonic... any pros / cons here I should be thinking about? I realize local luthiers here in the midwest will likely not have as much experience with dazzo/ultratonic, so that is a consideration.

I'd also be blending in a DPA4061... or the MCM114 if I ever get around to that...

thanks in advance!
Old 05-19-2024, 04:22 PM

I have Dazzo in my Hummingbird Avant Garde. Love it. My guy installed it with no problem.
‘20 Gibson 1960 Hummingbird reissue
‘16 Gibson Hummingbird Avant Garde (gigging guitar)

Note to self: Never play a guitar you aren’t willing to buy.
Old 05-19-2024, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

I haven't tried a Dazzo but have some K&K installs and a couple Ultratonics. If you like K&K, Ultratonic is that with a cleaner tone (particularly in the bass) and less feedback. But the installation must tune the dip switches correctly.
Old 05-19-2024, 09:39 PM

I would add the Schatten HFN to your list. It is the only pickup I use and have removed the K&K in one guitar to replace with it. I like the passive version to keep a battery out of my guitar and power it with an external preamp.

I've not tried the Dazzo or Ultratonic. I'm assuming I wouldn't like the tone of the Ultratonic since it is similar to the K&K, but at least it wouldn't have feedback issues like the K&K. The Dazzo sounds good in demos I've heard online, but it does have a much more complicated installation and more wires in your guitar than the Schatten. The Schatten is ready to have a second pickup/mic, but you really don't need to. It sounds very natural alone and I just add a little more mojo to it with an IR through my Tonedexter.
Custom MJ (Cedar & African Blackwood)
Eastman E40 OM
Taylor 816ce Builder's Edition
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Taylor T5 Koa

“The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.” –James Taylor

Last edited by aschroeder; 05-19-2024 at 09:45 PM.
Old 05-19-2024, 10:05 PM

I'm a K&K user. I would recommend either the Dazzo or the Ultratonic. I think the Ultratonic is an excellent choice where gain before feedback is an issue. I think Dazzo works well when you want something that sounds "EQd" straight into a high impedance input. I think K&K is great because it's versatile and predictable for me.
Old 05-20-2024, 04:11 AM
Charter Member

The Dazzo will be easier to install than the UltraTonic and it'll give good tonal results from the get-go without a lot of knob twiddling on downstream devices.
Adamas MD80 NWT
Adamas I 2087GT-8
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 05-20-2024, 07:31 AM

Thanks! Going on tone alone and other issues not withstanding… what would you choose - Dazzo or ultratonic?
Old 05-20-2024, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smossy View Post
Thanks! Going on tone alone and other issues not withstanding… what would you choose - Dazzo or ultratonic?
The Dazzo will need a preamp of some kind but it sounds amazing everywhere I play. I use the Sunnaudio Prestine as a preamp.
‘20 Gibson 1960 Hummingbird reissue
‘16 Gibson Hummingbird Avant Garde (gigging guitar)

Note to self: Never play a guitar you aren’t willing to buy.
Old 05-20-2024, 03:29 PM

Dazzos. If you don't like them, you can easily remove the pickups and the recommended epoxy. K & K removal of the sensors and especially the superglue is not so easy. A proper Dazzo install with one of the suggested preamps works very well and in my experience requires little or no EQ. They sound like the guitar which is very desirable in my opinion. Also good that Teddy Randazzo, the owner is very accessible and stands behind his product should any problems arise.
Old 05-20-2024, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Smossy, I've used both the Dazzo and UltraTonic 3.2 and they both sound good but given the Dazzo ease of installation, I'd recommend installing a set of Dazzo transducers. Place them on the bridge plate under the saddle line and between the 1st/2nd and 6th/5th strings. I use light films of Henkel 6-Minute Epoxy (what Teddy Randazzo uses) spread evenly on each transducer and hold in place a few minutes until the epoxy sets up. String up and enjoy!
Adamas MD80 NWT
Adamas I 2087GT-8
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 05-20-2024, 04:07 PM

Might have to be the Dazzo. Anyone know of a
Repairman or luthier in the Midwest , ie around Chicago or Wisconsin , that has experience installing the Dazzo?
Thanks!
Old 05-20-2024, 10:13 PM

Where are you located? Teddy may know of someone. Worth a call to him or an email.
Old 05-20-2024, 10:29 PM
Charter Member

Ultratonic all day long - installation is incredibly simple, and “tuning” the output to match your guitar is a very minor thing, and once done, you just plug in and never think about it again - and if you are serious about playing an acoustic guitar loud on stage, it’s the only one I’d look at -
Old 05-21-2024, 07:34 AM

Thanks all! One more question. How does dazzo do with high stage volumes? I use in ear monitors so not having monitor wedges usually help minimize feedback. Still, I get it sometimes with the k&k.

Clearly the ultratonic has the best feedback resistance it sounds like .. but how does the dazzo compare ? Can you play dazzos on loud stages without feedback issues ? Or is the dazzo more ideal for quieter situations?

Thanks all!
Old 05-21-2024, 09:23 AM

Default Dazzo vs. Ultratonic vs. K&K

Quote:
Thanks all! One more question. How does dazzo do with high stage volumes? I use in ear monitors so not having monitor wedges usually help minimize feedback. Still, I get it sometimes with the k&k.

Clearly the ultratonic has the best feedback resistance it sounds like .. but how does the dazzo compare ? Can you play dazzos on loud stages without feedback issues ? Or is the dazzo more ideal for quieter situations?

Thanks all!

I didn’t think Dazzo feedback rejection was very different from K&K. They are still sound board transducers. The UltraTonic is the best sound board transducer choice for a loud stage. It has a brilliant passive circuit design.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification