The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-13-2024, 09:35 AM

Here's what I use to add a little fun and variety to songs.

The Mosaic gives a decent 12 string guitar sound with an acoustic guitar and a great 12 string sound with an electric guitar/amp.

Old 05-19-2024, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=BlueStarfish;7459020]Y
So if it were me, I’d drop the Yamaha mixer, and instead get a preamp/DI pedal with good EQ and feedback tools. Something like a Fishman Platinum Pro EQ or Boss AD-10 or similar. Low-cut, multiple bands of EQ with a parametric mid, notch filter. Ideally a noise gate as well, I find that is surprisingly useful to manage feedback (the Boss unit has a noisegate).

Yes,
Unless your active pick up is of high quality an outboard pre amp is very useful.

Gabe
Old 05-21-2024, 04:27 AM

PA set up aside I also run an LR Baggs Session Chorus and a Fender Smolder OD pedal in my chain simply for some fun adds, crunch and nuances to certain songs I might play.
Old 05-26-2024, 10:59 AM

I do similar and even though my system has a built in reverb I use a stomp. I use the following pedals:

Fishman reverb (I think called "acoustiverb) - has spring, hall and plate all sound great with acoustic

LR Baggs Session Chorus - again genuinely built for acoustic and has flexibility to dial up, down across

Fender Smolder OD - also built just for acoustic I use this whenever i want some dirt/grit for a rock-ish vibe and adds a nice layer tonally for acoustic solo/duo shows

I play/loop this all through my Alix premp that runs directly into my mixer, etc
Old 05-26-2024, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

Some are purists who want to go direct (though are willing to use onboard reverb on a PA/amp which usually is marginal at best). Others find that certain effects used correctly improve the sound and the feel. No single right answer, but every solo gig I do uses a small pedal board:

guitar -> Turbo Tuner -> Harmonious Monk (trem pedal) -> Ibanez MiniChorus -> Diamond Comp/EQ (new version) -> Strymon ElCapistan -> Empress ParaEQ Dlx -> EHX 720 looper

The Diamond Comp/EQ is always on, and gives me quick/easy volume and eq tweaks as needed. The El Capistan is also always on, has some spring reverb and a bit of delay. Those two pedals give me a great sound that plays well in most rooms and feels good - I don't have to overplay, nor am I fighting the instrument.

The Harmonious Monk is always on when I play squareneck resonator. I use that as a backing/comping instrument for vocals, and the trem gives it a nice bit of movement and rolls off some of the edgy highs that can sneak in. The chorus gets used on a couple of songs for guitar, usually when I'm playing some 80's or more current cover song. I probably use it 2-3x during a 3 hour set.

The ParaEQ is to fix room issues, or if I bring a different guitar other than my 002.

I've done the experiment many many times. It sounds and feels better to me with judicious effects. Ymmv.

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 05-28-2024, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txa99ie View Post
. . . What do I need in a pedal board besides a tuner?
Nothing. You're there.

Quote:
If reverb and delay are needed, which are your favorites?
Electric guitar usually benefits from reverb. Some players like delay, too. Neither adds a thing to acoustic playing. Same for chorus and overdrive. They just muddle your sound.

Some people like using a compressor, but to my ears they denature an acoustic guitar's sound. Just running through a mixer is compression enough.

Quote:
Any other suggestions? . . .
Rather than trying to create variety via effects, focus on putting variety into what you play and how you play it. Audiences aren't entertained by pedals. They're entertained by musicians.
Old 05-28-2024, 02:33 PM

If you are a solo player you def need to consider some or all of the following : a tc helicon harmony singer , a zoom a1xfour multi effect unit , an ehx bass9 , a digitech Mosaic 12 string pedal and a decent looper wit a dedicated stop button ......
Old 05-28-2024, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

One of my favorite effects--apologies if it's mentioned above, maybe by me--is an electric guitar effect over an acoustic loop. Anything can be done to excess but when used sparingly it has great impact. Takes a lot of musicianship to pull off.

At my simpler level I l love throwing a Baggs Chorus into songs every now and then for variety. Gotta choose your spots but when done right it's tasty.
Old 06-05-2024, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

Hey, a good pair of QSC speakers is great. Add their mixer and a good sound guy and you are good to go.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification