The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-10-2024, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

Ok, I was looking at the new iPad features. M4 chip and all the fancy stuff. Super cool and powerful, right?

So the hijack thread question is “what would be the benefit to a casual user like me?”

I am not a power artist or musician. I don’t draw on it.

I have an iPad Air 4 that I use for songbook and learning apps for guitar. I watch videos, email, text. Basic stuff.

It is already so much more powerful than my needs. It would probably manage any simple DAW that I someday want to use.

So why the question? I could take the older iPad 4 (A14 chip)(bought used for $250, a very good deal) and trade it in for a $255 discount on a new iPad Air 5 ($350 after trade,M2 chip) or one of these newfangled iPad Pros with the M4 ($750 after trade).

Seems appealing , but I can’t convince myself that it is worth it, except that in another year or two it won’t be worth the trade in. The fact that I can trade it in for no loss somehow twists me….
Old 05-10-2024, 05:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamolay View Post
Ok, I was looking at the new iPad features. M4 chip and all the fancy stuff. Super cool and powerful, right?

So the hijack thread question is “what would be the benefit to a casual user like me?”
My opinion is to keep stuff as long as it does its job and you can still
update the software...

-Mike
Old 05-10-2024, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubcapsc View Post
My opinion is to keep stuff as long as it does its job and you can still
update the software...

-Mike

But…so rational…

Yeah, probably best. It is a long way from being obsolete.
Old 05-10-2024, 06:55 PM
Guitar Gourmet

I've got an iPad2 that is parked, being used solely as an iPod. It works.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-10-2024, 07:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamolay View Post

I am not a power artist or musician. I don’t draw on it.

I have an iPad Air 4 that I use for songbook and learning apps for guitar. I watch videos, email, text. Basic stuff.

It is already so much more powerful than my needs. It would probably manage any simple DAW that I someday want to use.

So why the question? I could take the older iPad 4 (A14 chip)(bought used for $250, a very good deal) and trade it in for a $255 discount on a new iPad Air 5 ($350 after trade,M2 chip) or one of these newfangled iPad Pros with the M4 ($750 after trade).

Seems appealing , but I can’t convince myself that it is worth it, except that in another year or two it won’t be worth the trade in. The fact that I can trade it in for no loss somehow twists me….
Based on what you wrote, and my own feelings about updating, I would definitely stick with your current model. It's a very solid performer, and is still fully supported. There's no compelling reason to change. The A14 chip has proven itself.
If my old one was still getting updates I wouldn't have even bothered to look. My processor chip is A9.. and was about 8 years old. Still works great, although battery life is not what it was. Still, the trade-in value was so low that I'm keeping it. Just not on wifi.
So, if you keep your iPad 4, you're making a wise choice in my view. Don't let the current trade-in value or all the current hype on new models sway you.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 05-11-2024, 11:23 AM

As evidence that it's the context of this ad running in 2024 being "read" differently by folks concerned about AI and tech company products diminishing their lines of work with traditional instruments and art tools, I found out that this current Apple ad is very, very close to an ad run in 2008 for a phone:

Those AI concerns were minimal in 2008, so no substantial "hit a raw nerve" response back then.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic