The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-21-2018, 07:43 AM

Default Best phone for recording Live music

I knew that Nokia do some good phones for recording Live music. If you can get hold of a Nokia 808 or a Nokia Lumia 930.
They are both great for recording Live music. He also said the folks who designed the audio mixer are the same guys who worked on the Soundcraft mixing desk.

Unfortunately my Nokia 930 that I had was stolen from my racksack. That wasn't a fun experience lol.
Anyway recently about six months ago I went to a cash convertor shop and spoke the guy behind the counter who has great knowledge in sound engineering and he suggested for me to get the HTC 10. It wasn't cheap but the stereo mics and picture quality are supurb. Obviously you need decent light for video.
I will post in a minute me recording my friend busking in Kingston London.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:47 AM

Here is the link to the HTC 10 video and audio recording from the phone itself:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...8&id=693033657
Old 09-21-2018, 09:23 AM

I still have my Nokia Icon (essentially, the same phone as the 930). I agree that from video recording with sound aspect it was far ahead of it's time. Despite the increasing consideration of smartphones as cameras that make phone calls, the audio aspect hasn't been considered nearly as important.

There are indications that the new model iPhones, available starting today may have improved stereo recording microphones, and for the first time I can remember they actually tried to demonstrate the video audio recording abilities in the Apple launch event. Alas, pricey.

There are of course inexpensive digital video recorders, like the Zoom models, that can probably do a better job of audio recording than any phone, but that's true of still photography too, and yet cellphone photography--if not replacing digital (or film) photography--has become the way most pictures are taken, and similarly, having a device that is always in your pocket or purse that can do a good quality video with good audio quality is nice to have.

Just for grins (and for any AGF members in the Southern Hemisphere who are now entering spring) here's a quick and dirty recording with the now ancient (4.5 years old) Nokia recording vocals and acoustic guitar (Seagull M6 dread). I think the phone produces a really nice stereo field in this, and it also shows that I look a bit goofy when performing.

Any similarly brave new iPhone Xs owners want to do an acoustic guitar demo of their new glowing palm slabs?

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 09-21-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Blues View Post
Here is the link to the HTC 10 video and audio recording from the phone itself:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...8&id=693033657
Audio quality does sound promising, though it's capturing the PA and therefore doesn't have all the subtlety you'd listen for in an acoustic recording. The video in the link doesn't look all that good, but it may be from compression artifacts in the streaming video.

Yes, I wish I could sing like that!

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification