The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-15-2015, 02:36 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Trevor. I don't have EQ match. There is a feature in logic where i can view the frequencies of a track as it is being played, i could use that to analyze Doug's track. I would rather try and get it better going into the mic, rather than add EQ after. Or if that is needed leave it whoever is mixing and mastering. I think as far as left to right levels I am going to get it as close as I can, and if it needs to be tweaked later that is ok.

I am going to a friend's house this weekend who has alot of nice acoustics, I'll record myself on one of his and see if I sound any different. I hope its not my guitar because can't afford to buy another one.
Old 10-15-2015, 03:16 PM

Hey Anton, your guitar sounds great. Whatever minor adjustments need to be made I very much doubt switching out your Alberico is one of them. The Doug Young recording you referenced in the original post sounds bigger than your clip but I'm not hearing any problems with your guitar. In fact, your guitar sounds very refined and well balanced to me.
Old 10-15-2015, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton View Post
Thanks Trevor. I don't have EQ match. There is a feature in logic where i can view the frequencies of a track as it is being played, i could use that to analyze Doug's track. I would rather try and get it better going into the mic, rather than add EQ after. Or if that is needed leave it whoever is mixing and mastering. I think as far as left to right levels I am going to get it as close as I can, and if it needs to be tweaked later that is ok.

I am going to a friend's house this weekend who has alot of nice acoustics, I'll record myself on one of his and see if I sound any different. I hope its not my guitar because can't afford to buy another one.
Anton, the biggest difference in our tone is probably my acrylic nails.

As far as balance, let me try to give more details on what I do.

I set up the mics around 15 inches apart +/-, maybe slightly above the sound hole, at the same height, around 12 inches out, all subject to your room and taste

I sit in front of the mics, starting with the soundhole roughly centered between them, and watch a balance meter (I like Ozone Insight, but anything will do)

I usually find that plucking the 3rd and 4th strings gives me a nice consistent signal. When that's centered on my meters, a full performance will be reasonably balanced over all.

So, plucking those 2 strings, I move sideways back and forth until the meters say I'm balanced. Sometimes it's just shifting slightly in my chair, sometimes it's moving the chair. I tend to use a footstool for recording, partly because between the chair and the footstool, it locks me into position.

Then record. If I need to make minor tweaks to the image balance in the mix, that's ok.
Old 10-15-2015, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

Thanks. Yea I guess my tone is what it is. I do enjoy hearing it in person.

Doug is good at getting wide stereo spread, which somehow does not happen in my case. Mics are the same distance apart and I am the same distance from them as he is. I need to work on that some more.
Old 10-15-2015, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Doug. Ill give that all a try. I have been using the 3rd and 4th string plucked together as well, i think you told me that at some point in the past.

I am going to give acrylic nails another go. Good enough for you, Martin Simpson, and Pierre, good enough for me. When I tried them last year I dont think I gave myself enough time to get used to them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD