The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-31-2012, 01:39 AM

Default 12 Nut / String Spacing Question

I recently purchased a Guild F-1512 12 String - which I love. The only complaint I have regards the string spacing. The string spacing at the nut is a little wide and this translates to the spacing at the saddle being wide enough that it makes fingerpicking difficult. Would a new nut, grooved to keep the strings closer, improve the spacing at the saddle in any noticable way?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Taylor 314ce-LTD
Alberico OM
Collings OM-2H
Breedlove Phoenix
Santa Cruz 000
Taylor GSRC
Gibson J-185
Breedlove SJ-25-12
Taylor GC5
Collings SJ
Taylor T5 Standard
Guild GAD-4N
Taylor MAH-GS LTD
Guild F-1512 12 String
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Old 12-31-2012, 01:46 AM
AGF Sponsor

No it wouldn't. The spacing at the saddle is set by the spacing of the bridge pins. Of course, because one doesn't pick right over the saddle, where you pick would be affected, but the difference would be such a miniscule fraction of the amount you narrow the spacing at the nut, it wouldn't be noticeable.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:58 PM

The only way to change the string spacing at the nut and the bridge would be to install a new nut and a different bridge with the spacing how you wanted it.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:39 PM
AGF Sponsor

And, of course, installing a new bridge with narrower bridge pin spacing would entail plugging all of the original bridge pin holes in the top. Given that it's a 12 string, the repair person might also suggest replacing the bridge plate also.

Have you been playing this particular instrument for long enough of a period that you're certain that you won't get accustomed to it? Have you owned a 12 string before? The reason I ask this is if you've been strictly a 6 string player in the past, it would take some time to get accustomed to the wider spacing of a 12. Muscle memory and all that. I know that when I was playing consdierably more than I do now, it always took a while to get accustomed again to the 12 if I had laid off playing it for a bit.

Either way, as pfox recommended, the only really good way to get the spacing you want at the bridge is to replace it with one that has the proper pin spacing for your playing style. (there are other ways, like creating string ramps from the holes toward the saddle (and/or notching the saddle for each string) to give you narrower spacing, but, unless done really well, it's a butcher job. In my opinion, that is.)
Old 01-01-2013, 08:40 AM

Everyone I know that does the fingerpicking thing prefers the string spacing to be wider at the nut and the saddle. With a fingerboard landed under the whole mess wide enough to land aircraft on. Of course there might be someone out there that likes the string spacing narrower for fingerpicking. I just haven't met them yet.

I set my 12'er string spacing at 1 18.5/32" from center of course, to center of course, at the nut, and 2 3/16" from center of course, to center of course, at the saddle. The fingerboard is 2" wide at the nut, and 2 5/16" wide at the 12th fret. What does yours measure out at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfox14 View Post
The only way to change the string spacing at the nut and the bridge would be to install a new nut and a different bridge with the spacing how you wanted it.
The only way? Sounds like a blanket statement that might not always hold up if there are other options. I wouldn't go ripping the bridge plate out of it, and yanking the bridge off of it, just yet. At the nut, I would probably make a new nut. Unless someone came up with another idea that might work. Depending on ----?

At the saddle you could try, make a new saddle with notches in it to hold the string spacing where you want it. I have always been able to do it without cutting string ramps in the bridge. And if you don't like it, you can put the original saddle back in and you don't have a bunch of string ramps cut into your bridge that you don't need.

Here is an example of it right here. This might be an extreme example. The owner of this guitar does not care what the thing looks like. He just wants the string spacing the same as on his Taylor. I don't remember the make of the guitar but, having the neck pitched to one side, and the bridge put on off center, making things worse, was not helping.

Glen
Old 01-01-2013, 09:18 AM

The other possible alternative is to notch the saddle with narrower spacing. I don't recommend it, but it would be a lot cheaper than replacing the bridge.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair