The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-17-2007, 12:31 AM

Default Healdsburg Guitar Festival

I am thinking of going to the Healdsburg Guitar Festival this summer. I would appreciate it if anyone could answer at least some of my questions.Are the workshops worthwhile? If you attend, what do you do with your guitar when you are not participating in a workshop? How is the parking? Are some places better than others to stay (I am thinking of staying at the Hilton)? Besides the workshop, concerts, and vendor booths, any other worthwhile activities at the festival itself? Thanks everyone! Although this is my first post, I visit this forum just about everyday.!
Old 04-17-2007, 06:50 AM

Oh man..........great questions. From Healdsburg '05, I can offer this:

Parking isn't bad, but be prepared for a walk if you get there late in the day.

There is a secure room where you can "check" your guitar, and someone is there to watch them all day.

I could spend the entire three days just trying out guitars. If that's not enough, yes, the workshops are top notch. Still not entertained? Each luthier hosts a mini-concert with a featured artist playing their guitars for 20 minutes. These concerts are back to back throughout the day, and worth the price of admission x10 IMHO (They are included in the festival ticket)

Lots of places to stay in Santa Rosa. It's only a couple of miles to the site of the festival, and an easy drive. I stayed at The Sandman Motel in '05, and have reservations for there this year as well.

Hope this helps.

Petros, Paragon, National, Martin, Rainsong, and Santa Cruz
Old 04-17-2007, 09:20 AM

Thumbs up

Some great answers from John.......

I'd just like to add that the hotel situation started booking up really early this year. That would be the first thing I'd secure at this point.

I wouldn't think twice about attending the festival. Some of the absolute finest instruments, greatest players, & world class luthiers will be making the journey.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:38 AM
AGF Sponsor

We stay at the Fountaine Grove Inn which is less than 5 minutes from the festival. Wear confortable walking shoes as you will be on your feet a LOT There are hundreds of the worlds finest handmade guitars there to test drive. If you are a lefty, there won't be a lot of them around but you may find a few. Please stop by our table and introduce yourself and test drive our guitars while you are there. Bottom line is the HGF is a LOT of fun and it should be on every serious acoustic player's calendar to attend at least once in their life!
Old 04-17-2007, 01:54 PM

Though no one has mentioned it directly, I think it would be a good idea to wear a bib, or put a few beach towels in a backpack. I've never been there, yet, but I suspect that Tim and the other builders might frown on all that drool on their guitars.

Oh, and either take plenty of cash, checks or plastic, or be prepared for a somewhat bittersweet experience.

Man, I wish I could be there!

cotten
Old 04-17-2007, 04:40 PM
Perennially Maladroit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
If you are a lefty, there won't be a lot of them around but you may find a few.
Ain't that the truth! I've attended the last three Healdsburg shows over the past number of years—have seen probably well over 1000 fine handmade guitars. Great atmosphere; great musical perfomances & real nice people. Food ain't too bad either! But as Tim stated, very few lefty guitars. I've counted a total of 7 left-handed guitars at the last three shows! and two of those were owned by me (!).
Old 04-17-2007, 06:26 PM
AGF Sponsor

Cheap plug, I know ... BUT..... I do build lefties to order though
Old 04-18-2007, 12:04 AM

Thankfully I play right handed or my choices would indeed be limited....(and I have my Catholic School education to thank for this Lefty's introduction to the right handed world)
Old 04-18-2007, 01:12 AM
Guitar Honey

I am detemined to go again this year. I have not been there since '03, but as a musician and guitarist, it was one of the highlights of my life!

Mr. McKnight, will you be one of the guitar builders with a display there this year?
Old 04-18-2007, 01:48 AM

How crowded does it tend to get. Can you really take some time to look and play the guitars -- and speak with the builders -- without feeling like your taking up somone elses time?

Do they expect everyone that attends to be "up-there" in respect to guitarplaying / knowledge / and income levels.

I other words, would us "little people" seem out of place? Just asking beacuse I've alwasy wnted to go, but figured I might be a little out of place.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:08 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejoice Music View Post
I am detemined to go again this year. I have not been there since '03, but as a musician and guitarist, it was one of the highlights of my life!

Mr. McKnight, will you be one of the guitar builders with a display there this year?

HI Rebecca,
Yes we will be there. I plan to exhibit 6 guitars [IF] I get them all done. I have 5 bodies done now and I am working on the necks presently. Lots of sawdust to make between now and then so I have to keep my head down and stay focused so I can deliver the goods to y'all fine folks. I will post some pics as I get them closer to being done. I have lots of new things "under the hood" this year. Plus we will be unveiling "The Diamond" which is a special guitar that my wife designed. Look for an ad in the next issue of Fingerstyle Magazine

Please stop by our table and introduce yourself. Budget some time so you can test drive our guitars too. Thanks...
Old 04-18-2007, 07:14 AM
Perennially Maladroit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorplayer View Post
How crowded does it tend to get. Can you really take some time to look and play the guitars -- and speak with the builders -- without feeling like your taking up somone elses time?
it can get very crowded—particularly on certain days and at particular times. Friday: Quieter; Saturday: open the flood gates! One has to sometimes 'search out' a quieter location away from the main floor to adequately 'sample' the goods. Most builders will happily take the time to answer all your questions about their work and often accompany you to a quieter location to hear your impressions and answer the questions you may have during the test drive. Great experience, for the most part.

Quote:
Do they expect everyone that attends to be "up-there" in respect to guitarplaying / knowledge / and income levels.
I other words, would us "little people" seem out of place? Just asking beacuse I've alwasy wnted to go, but figured I might be a little out of place.
There are players of all talent levels— pros, semi-pros & plenty of novices. Some are just lookers and some folks have handfuls of cash to pick up their dream guitar
Old 04-18-2007, 07:32 AM

Kevin pretty much summed it up. Also, keep in mind that although some guitars represented have a price comparable to a mid-size sedan, there will be scores of builders there who will create a custom masterpiece for about the same dollar amount as a high end factory guitar.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:32 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorplayer View Post

It does get crowded. You will not be able to take it all in in just one day so you need to plan accordingly. Rooms and hotels are booking up fast so don't delay.

We make time to talk with each person who stops by our table. It is a bit overwhelming for us as we talk with a few thousand people of the course of a weekend. I really enjoy meeting cyber friends and finally putting a face to a name and shaking the hand of folks for the first time.

There are players of ALL levels there from professional musicians to folks who are purchasing their first guitar. SO, don't be embarassed by your skill level as I am sure you are a MUCH better player than I am

There are several quiet rooms and spaces available so you can take guitars off to a corner and hear what it sounds like, in your hands, without feeling emabarassed. Mary typically takes folks off to these rooms and she and I have heard folks who only know a couple of cords and folks whose fingers look like spider legs dancing on water.

There are guitars there priced below $2K from new and relatively unknown builders and guitars that are in the tens of thousands of dollars from the elite upper tier builders.

So Taylor, plan on joining us for one of the most memorable times you will ever have. It's an event where there is such a friendly spirit all centered around our love for acoustic guitars, regardless of our skill level or the amount of money in your pocket. Please stop by our table and plan to spend some time with us. See you in August!
Old 04-18-2007, 12:20 PM

A stop by the McKnight booth is a must...........I plan to visit there a few times myself. Also come by the Paragon Guitars exhibit. I will be spending most of my time there, and also taking delivery of my new OM.........which will be one of the guitars Rob Bustos displays.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion