The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-17-2007, 08:03 PM

Default 414 Saddle Measurements

Hi, I'm Billy Hell and I can't leave well enough alone.
In the great tone experiment of 07 I tried a lot of different pin/saddle combinations. I REALLY love my buffalo horn pins. If you haven't tried them then...try them. Nice fat tone and they also make your tone ring. This leads me to my question, I'm having a guy carve me a saddle out of buffalo horn. What measurements do I need so he can whittle one down to size?
- 1983 Yamaha SRV/VH modded strat
- Fender Tele Cusom w/Bigsby
- Fernandes Nomad Deluxe
- 2006 Taylor GSRC - OH YEAH!!
- 2 1956 Silvertone Archtop F Hole Acoustic
- 1976 Ovation acoustic Bicentennial Edition
- Alvarez 9 string
- 1968 Ovation Hurricane semi-hollow body electric
Old 02-17-2007, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Hell View Post
Hi, I'm Billy Hell and I can't leave well enough alone.
In the great tone experiment of 07 I tried a lot of different pin/saddle combinations. I REALLY love my buffalo horn pins. If you haven't tried them then...try them. Nice fat tone and they also make your tone ring. This leads me to my question, I'm having a guy carve me a saddle out of buffalo horn. What measurements do I need so he can whittle one down to size?
Ummmm... I'd give him the guitar (and the original saddle, naturally) along with any specific instructions (ie: raise 12th-fret action by .003", etc).

If you want to give him a blank and expect a mirror-copy of the existing saddle, I recommend buying a quality set of calipers and taking measurements of the existing saddle.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:42 PM

I you have nothing to measure it with, remove your saddle and trace it as best you can on a piece of paper and he can get an idea from that. the thickness is 1/8 inch on all taylor saddles from what I know. The length on my 810 saddle is about 2.790 inches. if you're going to install it, then he should go slightly longer and you can file or sand it to fit.
so 1/8th by 2.810 or a little longer. height, i bought a bone saddle from bob colosi and it was .400 inch tall to start with. that should be close and then you can dial it in to fit from there.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:40 PM

Billy,

Do you take your guitar when you go flying. I have a poly finished camp guitar that I take to our field that's pretty impervious to oil hands. I'm edging towards electric which would be more compatible with a better guitar like my jam session Martin 000X1.

I was at Toledo last year but I was having problems with my brand new digital camera and forgot that I wanted to come by your booth for the R/C Groups T shirt. My flying/picking buddy is going to retire from truck driving in two years. One of our goals is to find fly-ins and bluegrass jam sessions that coincide.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:27 AM

The only long stretches of picking time I find now are at RC shows. Since I'm doing live broadcasts at most shows now it is mostly in the evenings with guys like Chris Hinson of Extreme Flight RC. I'm looking forward to summer and some good picking circles. I will be at Toledo this year and RCG is sponsoring and indoor open fly Friday and Saturday. PM me and I'll give you all the info.
Thanks for the numbers everyone. Another Idea I'm having is to buy a Tusq saddle and send it to this guy. Has anyone here ever heard anyone playing a buffalo horn saddle?
- 1983 Yamaha SRV/VH modded strat
- Fender Tele Cusom w/Bigsby
- Fernandes Nomad Deluxe
- 2006 Taylor GSRC - OH YEAH!!
- 2 1956 Silvertone Archtop F Hole Acoustic
- 1976 Ovation acoustic Bicentennial Edition
- Alvarez 9 string
- 1968 Ovation Hurricane semi-hollow body electric

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion