The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-07-2006, 06:02 PM

Default Flyde guitars

I have a chance to own a Flyde alchemist, a used one is in one of the local stores around here.

I read up on some stuff about them but just confused on a couple things!

it has figured walnut back and sides, a 5 piece neck with mahogany, indian rosewood and walnut, a cedar top (not sure , maybe a european cedar?), koa bindings with some harringbone purfling and rosette.

anyways...its around $xxxx, good price?

are these guitars completly hand made or what?

I think its a custom...but I have no clue...

Also, the store owner said it has a Highlander pickup system in it but on the Flyde site they only offer a Element system or a Headway FEQ... maybe its the Headway?

no pics of the guitar, but it sure is a looker! more info and stuff if anyone knows anything about these guitars or owns one?

Pros, cons, likes, dislikes? Thanks!

Last edited by cotten; 12-10-2006 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Sorry, but AGF Rule 2 in FAQ is no guitar price discussion.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:16 PM

I don't know if that's a good price or not. Even if I did, I'm not allowed to tell you. Nobody here is: There's a strict rule against pricing discussions. Don't worry, you can hide at my place until this blows over. I'll even give you the password for the speakeasy.

The rule of thumb I use for guitars is this: If I've never heard of it, and it's cheap, it goes in the "you get what you pay for" pile. If I've never heard of it, and it's expensive, it may indicate that it might really be something.

Ovation CSE24
Old 12-07-2006, 07:33 PM

woops, sorry about the price thing!
Old 12-07-2006, 07:44 PM

Hi there,
Fylde would defintely be considered a small shop or "boutique" builder. I have never played one but they are suppossed to be very nice instruments. You can check out www.shorelinemusic.com for what a new one will cost you.

Peace Out,
Simon

Last edited by Simon Fay; 12-08-2006 at 10:00 AM.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:30 PM

Flyde Guitars is a British company, they build about 300 guitars a year, small shop with 4 skilled luthiers. They have a good reputation, Keith Richards, Sting and Pat Methany all own Flyde's. Assuming the guitar is in good condition I think the asking price is reasonable, it is essentially a handbuilt guitar, similiar to a Santa Cruz method of building.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:49 AM

Sorry to be a pedant guys but it's Fylde (not Flyde or Fyled).

Old 12-08-2006, 02:55 AM

Check the list price on there site.
you can get a new one AND have change
Simmo
Old 12-08-2006, 03:23 AM

I have a 1986 Fylde Oberon ( a sort of bosomy OM size) - spruce/rosewood, with Headway pickup. Great guitar - sustain, balance, volume and projection all wonderful. A fair strummer, a totally heavenly fingerpicker. Neck is wide (46mm) and, like all Fyldes, has a zero fret. The Headway pickup gives a good sound with little fuss straight into my AER amp, or into PA.
I used to own a Fylde Orsino (cedar/mahogany dreadnaught-ish) which was a very expressive guitar with fingers or pick, and I also really like their Goodfellow (cedar/mahogany roughly OO size) as a fingerpicker.
I have never played an Alchemist though the ones I have heard sound good, especially strumming. Neck width on the narrow side for me though.
The build quality and finish, especially of recent guitars, is superb.
Fylde is a very helpful company to deal with - if you email Roger (see Fylde Guitars droolsome website - link posted previously by LindaLoo) with serial number of the Alchemist you have come across he will, I'm sure, get back to you with further info on your particular guitar.
Did you like this Alchemist when you played it? That's really all that matters! You need have no worries regarding quality, reliablity and after sales service from Fylde guitars, with whom I have no connection other than as a very satisfied long-term owner.
Bye now
Keith
Old 12-08-2006, 03:37 AM
happiness

I tried out a Fylde Alchemist a few months ago when I was searching for a small bodied folk guitar.

The Alchemist is a very nice quality guitar, solid woods, hand built. The one I tried had a three-piece walnut back and a five-piece neck. It had a lovely tone, and really good sustain.

Fliss
Old 12-08-2006, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmo View Post
Check the list price on there site.
you can get a new one AND have change
Simmo
How so? I'm assuming that the listed xxxx is a US $ figure. If so then the list is almost double the figure quoted in the OP before you even consider import duty and shipping.

I have played one Fylde. It was a custom build from the early 80s I think. Nice guitar but the neck had been made with a V profile and I didn't like the feel of it. Probably a custom feature for the person who commissioned it.

Last edited by cotten; 12-10-2006 at 02:43 PM. Reason: AGF Rule 2 in FAQ: no guitar price discussion
Old 12-08-2006, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

Default Fylde

I did a fair bit of research on Fylde guitars a few years ago. My heart was melting to try a Magician or an Alchemist. They are gorgeous guitars. As stated above Fylde is a small shop in Northern England. I was in Ireland last year and was going to fly over to England for a day and Roger Bucknall (excuse spelling if it is incorrect on last name), volunteered to come to the airport and pick me up to take me to his shop and show me a few of his guitars. Really kind and generous was my experience.

That is a story of how amazing that shop was to myself. They do have a unique sound, and I would want to play a Magician and or the Alchemist to confirm it had the projection that I am comfortable with. The recordings I have heard of fylde differentiate them from many American style guitar manufacturers. I stand to be corrected on this becuase they don't sell these guitars in my neck of the woods, but the sound could be described as rounder and slightly more classical. I would love to hold one, I'll tell you that.

P.S. The one day flight I was going to take to go to their factory was only going to cost me $20.00 because of Ryan Air discount flights. But it was the day that I did not have as I was on a family vacation.

Very reputable company. Guitars generally hard to come by in North America.

Stuart
Old 12-08-2006, 08:55 AM

Oneofthesedays, if the price you originally posted (it's probably going to get edited out by one of the moderators) is US dollars, & the guitar is in VG+/Mint condition, then you may have just found a bargain for a boutique guitar. Provided, of course, that the guitar speaks to you.

Taylor 414e Ltd Claro Walnut__Takamine EC132C__Larrivee 000-40R__Yairi WY-1__Alvarez PJ85SC-DVS & PJ85SC-12DVS, RB30SC__Guild GAD-JF48__Seagull Model 12, S12, S6+ Folk, M4 Spruce__Ibanez AW-25 (12s), PF5CENT __Olympia OD?, OP2__Hohner Morena-HAM 712 mandolin__Flight Ukulele__Yamaha Guitalele
Old 12-08-2006, 12:38 PM

wow thanks for all the great info!!

this forum rules!

anyways, yea I really liked the guitar, it was very comfy and sounding nice and warm!

the guitar was pretty minty when I inspected it, no scratches or dings, just some minor wear here and there and on the headstock wings where the guitar was hung.

the wood really attracted me to it, I guess walnut is a bit exotic...almost looked like figured koa at first!

the active pickup in it was just a bonus for me (I dont even have an amp!)

someone regarded the price of a new one and saying I would have left over change if I bought a new one.. isnt the pricing in Pounds on their site? wouldnt that price be more then double plus a wait time and build time ?

anyways thanks for all the great info! Think I might be picking it up in the next day or two im pretty excited!
Old 12-08-2006, 08:44 PM
Charter Member

Default You are right...

that statement was misrepresented. It would not be cheaper to buy new.

Have a look around the internet. It's not too hard to get a sense of prices. European shops I do find consistently more expensive for same product.

Stuart
Old 12-08-2006, 09:18 PM

^^^ yah I find that odd too....why is it that the same guitar is priced way higher when its around the same area as it was made, yet overseas its a lot less :s

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion