The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 07:42 AM

Default A gallows guitar?

OK, I'll appologize up front for this one if the idea offends you, but the Anne Frank guitar idea got me to thinking. First of all I have a very inventive and sometime wacky mind. My father was an artist and cartoonist, my mother was a fine artist too, so I know where it came from. I can look at something and create a whole crazy scenerio for it. For example, while shopping with my wife in the drapery section of a store, she showed me a white mosquito netting that you could hang over a bed for romantic effect. I ask her if it came with a starter kit of mosquitos!

So here goes.

It is pretty clear that Sadam Husein is going to meet his fate on the gallows. So, some guitar company buys the wooden gallows and turns in into guitars. If Taylor can make a pallet guitar this one could be made too.

The headstock carries the coat of arms of all the military services (Army, Navy, Maries, & Air Force) participating in Iraq. The fret board inlay is a rope that has the large knott starting just above the 12th fret. The noose goes around the sound hole in place of a rosette.

Offer them up on E-Bay for maximum sales. Profits from the sale of the "Limited Edition, Sadam Husein Gallows Guitar" go to a widows and orphans fund for US soldiers.

OK, I'll wait here for the lynch mob to come get me.
1993 Yair - Alvarez DY99A
2001 Yairi-Alvarez DY-91 SOLD!
2002 Taylor Stock 810 Ltd.
2003 Taylor 855e
2003 Taylor 814ce Fall Ltd
2003 Tradition Jerry Reid Sig. Telecaster
200? Esteban American Legacy (New Owner Lake Chautauqua Lutheran Center)
Old 11-15-2006, 07:52 AM
Winning!

Hmm, this could potentially turn nasty real quick ><

reagsbydesign (ree-g'ss-b'i-d'sine) n.1. expect the unexpected.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:56 AM

Move to loading dock?
Old 11-15-2006, 08:25 AM

And I would be the first purchaser for my LTC friend who is a plastic surgeon in the Army. I would pay an inflated price too since the funds go to a good cause. Win-win.

L.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:37 AM

All though I appreciate the morbid humor I have to say that if this was something Taylor even considered doing in real life, I would NEVER touch one of their guitars ever again. There is absolutely nothing good about death penalty.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:47 AM

Unhappy

Haven't a lot of Iraqi people died in this conflict ?

I must admit I found this post quite sad

Regards

Jerry
1998 Taylor 555 (2007)
K&K Pure Western Mini
Old 11-16-2006, 06:44 AM

I'm going to resist the urge to list the many reasons why that would be in incredibly poor taste. Somebody wanna shut this one down before it turns into a firestorm?

Tim
Old 11-16-2006, 05:15 PM

I think this will be one of the saddest moments of this century... They are throwing away hundreds of years of social evolution...
Old 11-16-2006, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

Default Send it to the dock. Please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELK View Post
Move to loading dock?
My view of the death penalty aside, judgement or its effects should not be marketed regardless of who may benefit. I personnally hold my music and instrument choices with higher regard than some souvenior trinket glorifying a murderous criminal. Wish I could be even a little light-hearted on this one but I just can't. See you in another post.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:47 PM

I say throw him back down the same spider hole where they found him, with nothing but MREs to eat and Fox News on 24/7. He'll find a way to hang himself sans gallows.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:58 AM

Default Tough Call

Marginally offensive, but the heart's in the right place. And having the "evil" side (editorially-speaking) making repayments to the "good" side (again, editorially-speaking) has a certain made-for-TV Brady-style appeal.

I dunno.

But I applaud you for having the courage to throw it out there.

I also applaud the rest of the forum for offering reasonable responses and not starting a firestorm.

Just my 2¢...

Joe
Old 11-17-2006, 10:18 AM

A "gallows" guitar? Lots of guitars can be associated with death, darkness, the ominous. How about Johnny Cash with his black D35 as he sings Delia, with images of him carrying Kate Moss to her grave (all filmed in "black & white). Very dark, very sinister, very real. Cash was attacked by The National Organization of Women for doing that song. His reply was "I'm a singer of tales, and some of them are dark." Or how about the Martin that Barry McGuire used when he did Eve of Destruction? For its time, that song was very dark. Maybe even "gallows humor" in regard to the world situation at that time." Then there's The Mercy Seat, done by several people. You don't get much more "gallows" than that song. I don't think you need to specifically make a "gallows" guitar. For me, I can associate darkness, the forbidden, etc. with most any instrument, depending on the song content, the performer, and the atmosphere created by that particular artist's rendition. Likewise, you can find joyful feelings associated with Paul Stookey's The Wedding Song. I've seen him play that many times on his Classical/Folk guitar and it's the kind of sound I basically associate with that kind of guitar. Basically, I believe it's all relative to the situation, the song, the performer, and to some degree the guitar's appearance....Just my view. It doesn't necessarily make me right and someone else wrong.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:31 AM
.tom the übergeek

I don't think so.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion