The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-07-2006, 02:25 AM

Default Adding an internal, switchable mike

I have a Mimesis active soundhole pickup on my Taylor. These are now marketed by Fishman as the Rare Earth series (single coil). It picks up no noise whatsoever and needs no EQ which has been an asset to now. However, now I've started using a Jamman I want to tap out percussion on the guitar and the Mimesis doesn't pick it up.

Can anyone suggest a small mike that can be fitted inside the guitar ( I don't want an under-saddle piezo) that can be wired with the Mimesis to a switch mounted top-side*? I don't want both pickups working together and want to switch quickly between them.

* This might seem sacrilege but I have a nasty ding on the lower bout that could be hidden by a swtch like the pickup switch on a Les Paul for instance - (but smaller hopefully).

Lag Autumn Jumbo
Lag Autumn CE Jumbo - Nashville strung
Taylor 614ce
Yamaha NTX700
Taylor GS Mini e
Old 11-07-2006, 03:21 AM

I think your best option may be a sound board transducer. You could wire them to a stereo plug, then A/B using an A/B box capable of running in reverse. The mic would most likely require phantom power, and as you seem to want to use it only occasionally for a very specific purpose, a passive choice would be easier.

How bad is the damage? If you have a Taylor, depending on the model, it may be worth the cost of repair. (I am not familiar with Taylors).
Old 11-07-2006, 09:28 AM

My guitar is in the shop right now, I'm having Washburn's EZ ROMP internal mic installed. I don't know how it's gonna be, but it was cheap - it's just a short condenser mic on a gooseneck that screws into the strap hole (enlarged) and becomes the cable plug/strap pin.

I don't know how it's gonna sound, but will let you know. This mic doesn't take phantom power, though, it takes 2 watch batteries, so should be ok for occasional use. I'll be sure to let everyone know of the results.

It seems that the switch would be a separate issue from the mic/transducer and someone who understands the wiring better can comment on that.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:13 AM

Thanks for the replies so far. Please let me know how you get on with the gooseneck mike.

I'd rather avoid phantom power though two watch batteries would be ok - my Mimesis runs on two similar 1.5v batteries. I have an A/B floor box but would rather avoid any outboard andanother lead from the guitar. I know Phil Keaggy uses several internal mikes on his Olson.

I've been using a separate SM57 to pick up some Tabla I use but it just injects more stress having to hit the Jamman exactly on cue and turn the mike off when I resume playing the guitar.

Having everything on board including a simple A/B switch would be best but would there be a problem wiring a passive mike together with the active Mimesis so they still use just the one jack out?

Lag Autumn Jumbo
Lag Autumn CE Jumbo - Nashville strung
Taylor 614ce
Yamaha NTX700
Taylor GS Mini e
Old 11-09-2006, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Your internal microphone will likely be an electret condenser. It will need bias (aka "T") power of between 6v and 15v. No way around that.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:59 AM
O'Dadgad rules.

Perhaps wiring in an internal mic to the ring output jack of the mag pickup. You'll also need a TRS cable out (monster/horizon/mogami...) and a stereo capable preamp. I use a Rane AP13 which has led to my rig being the best sounding it ever has. I had a blessing in disguise when i bought my 310ce in 2000. they switched out the basic barndoor fishman prefix for a blender, and eventually i got a stereo blender pre, installed it, and took the undersaddle pickup out, and put one of the K&K Pure Western Minis (under the E&B) into the preamp jack, and it sounds incredible. I do a mono output from my AP13 into a Boss RC-50. Adding egg shakers, rain sticks, chimes, even putting twist-tie over/under the strings like keaggy does with plastic leading to a "oriental/steel drum tone" on my guitar is very creatively challenging. I know exactly what you're doing, and keep doing it. It's fun! I'm at the advantage where the internal mic on my guitar is also switchable on/off when i could have a feedback problem. And the master volume on my barndoor stereo pre also tames the mic when i don't want to reach down to my rack 3 feet away to adjust mic volume too. Perhaps this is sacreligious....cut a hole in your guitar. you'll be ok!
The Family
The Les Paul I built

My live rig:
Mogami Gold TRS
Rane AP13
Ultrasound AG-50DS2, Fishman Loudbox
Boss RC-50
PP2+

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification