The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-06-2006, 07:53 PM

Default I'm really tempted: ES-137 Classic or Custom

Which would you choose? The Custom is significantly more $$$, but that has never stopped me before . Any thoughts?

I'd be interested in any impressions of these guitars as compared to each other and the 335. I am primarily (exclusively?) an acoustic player, but shiny, dark sunburst electrics draw me mystically.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:02 PM

The ideal 137, IMO, would be a Custom in BluesBurst. But that color/combo is not available. The Vari-Tone is very nice, and I believe that the Custom has different pick ups. I prefer the tone of the Custom but the BluesBurst of the Classic. I don't think that you can go wrong with either one.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:26 AM

Other thoughts? Anyone with any experience with the Variatone?
Old 11-07-2006, 06:18 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I prefer the '57 classic 'buckers and inlays of the custom, but would prefer to loose the silly varitone/thinner switch. Ten years down the line you can end up rapping on it to get contact. That won't get in the way, though. IMHO, add a tri-burst and gold hardware and you are looking really nice:

***My Choice of ES137s***

The 490R and 498T pickups of the Classic will most likely contribute a harder sound than that of the '57 classic 'buckers.

On another note, my wife prefers the look and sound of the ES335, and in natural blonde. Does that mean that chicks dig ES335s over ES137s? Hoo-boy. Too many choices.

Bob

P.S. The sweetest example from the two models I've encountered so far was a red ES335, but we all know red goes faster and gets more speeding tickets.

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 11-07-2006, 06:59 PM

I think I'm purchasing an ES-137 Custom triburst with gold hardware. Yum. More to follow...

After that, then I'll need a D-45 and a good 12 string...

Then I'm really done with all of this GAS.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification