The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-18-2006, 06:18 AM
Charter Member

Default An interesting tidbit about FedEx Home delivery

i am awaiting a package from Fedex (a non-guitar purchase) and the sender chose FedEx Home delivery (obviously cheaper). the package is MIA since Saturday (FedEx Home delivers Tuesday thru Saturday). i have been contacting them since Monday asking where the package is and i was told this morning that these drivers are "sub-contractors". i thought it was strange when one day this same driver left my $4k Beneteau guitar on my front porch and did not even knock. i saw a young boy wearing flip flops get out of the truck and drag the box onto the porch. the driver (he's been to my house several times) just sat in the truck. the boy was wearing street clothes.

according to Fedex this morning they attempted to deliver my package around 8pm this evening, but did not leave a notice. we were all home last night. i never saw a Fedex truck nor did anyone knock at the door.

Fedex has obviously outsourced their ground service to individuals who have no vested interest in the whereabouts of the packages they are carrying. although these folks wear Fedex uniforms (well, at least they are supposed to) and drive Fedex vehicles they are not Fedex employees.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:30 AM

FWIW, UPS leaves packages on the front porch as well.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:37 AM
Charter Member

bern, i have never had them leave anything that was insured for that amount. my ups guy is one of my neighbors and he explained the rules to me. large ticket items ride in the cage up front along with the overnight stuff. i would never have anything shipped Fedex if i could help it.

i think the driver has lost the package and now does not know what to do about it. it is reminiscent of Chicago Sandy and fitness' speaker fiasco.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:51 AM

Hmm...I never had anything delivered which was 4K, but nonetheless packages with the contents of a monitor and periodic deliveries of medication are left on my porch. They used to ring the bell, but I have not had that happened in a while.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:25 AM

Yup. I have a friend who gave up his corporate life to become a Fedex guy. They are definitely not Fedex employees. They do their own gig and are actually technically "self employed" at providing this service for Fedex. He got incorporated, bought a truck, bought the uniforms, got on a waiting list to get a route, had them logo up his truck, and they now pay him for what he does, but he is not their employee. He completely loves it. They load his truck up in the morning, he listens to music while he makes his deliveries and is home by 4PM or so with no work to take home with him. Unlike me endlessly attached day and night to my laptop and Blackberry.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

i've used fedex to ship guitars for several years, and never had a problem. i pack super good, which isn't a guarantee if they run over the box, but you have to ship them somehow. you can require a signature on the delivery form, or they won't leave it. i've received deliveries from fedex and ups, and if a signature isn't required they'll leave it on your front step regardless of cost. the mailman will do the same thing if no signature is required. i work from home so i'm usually here for a delivery, and the fedex estimated delivery day has always been accurate, but can be anywhere from 8:ooam till late afternoon. once i was working in the house, and the fedex guy left the guitar on the porch, early in the morning and i didn't even know it was there till noon. the way i found out was i checked on line, and it said deliverd at 8:30a.m. sure enough, looked outside and there it was. they might knock but they might not. require a signature to be safe.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

i think it works if the driver is conscientious. unfortunately the guy who has our route is clueless about customer service and is not following the guidelines of his contract.

we'll see if i ever get my package. i have notified the shipper of the problem with the package and they have now put a tracer on the package. whatever happened to the package the driver is going to have to be accountable now.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

DHL just left something at my front door that was clearly addressed to my office. The seller printed out a form that showed my billing address and shipping address and DHL didn't pay enough attention to what they were looking at.

Fortunately, everything turned out OK, but I live about 4 doors away from a middle school and a ton of kids sit in my yard waiting to be picked up after school. When it rains, they sit under our portico and I have had thinkg disappear from my door before.

One culprit is a company who refuses to deliver to my office and bill me to my house. I have to receive my bills at the office to keep them from leaving things at my front door.

Old 10-18-2006, 10:52 AM

Hmmm... the shipper should be able to require a signature. I've had pricier items like pcs and cameras shipped that way. If they miss me, or I can't be at home, I can have it redirected to their sorting center and pick it up there.

As to whether they follow the terms of the contract and actually get that signature is another story.

1997 Taylor 514C - stolen 1/12/06 RETURNED 11/12/06
2006 Webber OM - cocobolo/bearclaw sitka

Our adoption blog: Kevin & I-Chwen's Adoption Blog
Old 10-18-2006, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myanocsk View Post
i am awaiting a package from Fedex (a non-guitar purchase) and the sender chose FedEx Home delivery (obviously cheaper). the package is MIA since Saturday (FedEx Home delivers Tuesday thru Saturday). i have been contacting them since Monday asking where the package is and i was told this morning that these drivers are "sub-contractors". i thought it was strange when one day this same driver left my $4k Beneteau guitar on my front porch and did not even knock. i saw a young boy wearing flip flops get out of the truck and drag the box onto the porch. the driver (he's been to my house several times) just sat in the truck. the boy was wearing street clothes.

according to Fedex this morning they attempted to deliver my package around 8pm this evening, but did not leave a notice. we were all home last night. i never saw a Fedex truck nor did anyone knock at the door.

Fedex has obviously outsourced their ground service to individuals who have no vested interest in the whereabouts of the packages they are carrying. although these folks wear Fedex uniforms (well, at least they are supposed to) and drive Fedex vehicles they are not Fedex employees.
I have pointed this very thing out on several occasions on these boards. In a word: BEWARE!

I sure will not use them, as long as I have a choice. BTW, I think DHL drivers are self-employed also, but not sure.

My best,
Old 10-18-2006, 11:39 AM

FedEx Ground and Home Delivery couriers (purple and green logo) are and have always been independent contractors. This is a continuation of the practice from when the company was RPS, which FedEx bought several years ago. These couriers are paid directly by FedEx, and not by a third party.

It should be noted, however, that FedEx Express couriers (purple and orange) are actual FedEx employees, as they have been since Federal Express started. These are the people with the purple and orange logo.

FedEx Express and FedEx Ground are separate companies owned by FedEx Corporation. They use the same customer service network (part of FedEx Services, also a separate company) but they operate independently.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:22 PM

After the Carvin speaker-delivery fiasco suffered by the seller and me (more aggravation was suffered by him, but FedEx finally settled up for its negligence and the hassles they put him through), I specified "signature required" (there was actually a menu option) for Fed Ex delivery of speaker stands from Sweetwater and Peavey speakers from GearTree.com. Sure enough, next day came a knock on my door from Fed Ex: ONE Peavey speaker, for which I was required to sign. Next day, my son signed for the stands. Saturday morning, I went away for the day; upon my return that afternoon (came in through the back), opened the front door to see if the second Peavey had arrived, since there were no packages in my foyer. Sure enough, it indeed had.......as had, mysteriously, BOTH the Carvins that had allegedly been "delivered" weeks earlier. One speaker had developed an ominous rattle--I tested it and it sounded OK, but the seller had to deduct the amount of an estimated repair when he resold them). My son and his friend had been home all morning and heard NO knock.

I have had UPS require signature for a textbook and preamp, yet leave heavy boxes of cat food and litter on the doorstep without so much as a "here-we-are." Ditto from the Postal Service. Circumstances differ everywhere, and for and from everyone, I guess.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:19 PM

One thing I've had good luck with that you may consider. The same UPS and Fedex guys have worked my neighborhood for the past year I have lived there. I made it a point to go out and meet them during some earlier deliveries when I first moved in. I struck up conversations with them, talked a little bit about what in the boxes etc... The UPS guy was friendly enough and always rings the bell when he drops something off. Sometimes he'll ask what I've ordered now. My Fedex guy turned out to be a former bass player when he was in high school and it was all I could do to finally end the conversation about his old days as a rocker and get back in the house. Now when I have something coming in, especially if it has a Musician's Friend, or Music 123 etc... return address on the box, he will make sure to ring the bell and if he is not in a hurry to finish out his route, usually wants to know what is in the box. A little "relationship" and acknowledging them as your fellow man goes a long way sometimes.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:24 PM

Good to know.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:54 PM

I never have any problem with our regular UPS and Fed Ex drivers, nor with our regular mail carrier. But it all goes blooey when they go on vacation. The substitute mail carriers are the worst--I get other people's mail (either the wrong house number or the right number on the wrong street) and they get mine. Not so funny when bills and checks are involved, especially now that I am my mom's estates's executor.

I have seriously considered sending the USPS the following letter:

Dear Sirs,

I applaud the U.S. Postal Service for your recent commitment to hiring the handicapped--you are a shining beacon to us all.

However, as the ability to properly recognize street names and house numbers is a Bona Fide Occupational Qualification (BFOQ) under the Equal Employment Opportunity and Americans With Disabilities Acts for the job of mail carrier, you need not fear being held in violation of either law should you decide to stop hiring illiterate, dyslexic, or visually impaired individuals for the above position.

Very truly yours,
Sandra L. Andina

Unfortunately, it would probably come across the desk of someone with one of the aforementioned disabilities.....or end up delivered to UPS instead.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic