The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-30-2006, 04:47 PM

Default New Guitar.update

Okay, so I just came back from the music stores around town, and came up with three guitars that I really liked.

Martin DX1...I really liked the sound of this one and it was the cheapest that I looked at xxx bucks.

Taylor 110 E. I liked this one and a Bluerudge BR160 about the same, the BR seemed to be a little...small I guess? But I liked the sound.

Of these three I liked the MArtin probably the best.

Does anyone have any experience with the DX1 or is there anything that I should know about it, being an acoustic guitar newbie?

Bye.

Justin

Last edited by cotten; 08-30-2006 at 07:07 PM. Reason: AGF Rule 2 in FAQ: No Guitar Price Discussion.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:54 PM

Also, anyone ever bought an acoustic on ebay?

I was looking at prices and I can get much better deals on ebay, but I really would like to play my instruments before purchases. So what have your expeiences been buying on ebay?
Old 08-30-2006, 06:02 PM

The DX1 has a back and sides that are mede from a Formica like material. Just in case you didn't catch that. Some folks are turned off by this. The top on the models with a "1" at least have a solid Spruce top. I had a DXM that didn't have the wood top and I took it back after a few days because of a problem with the Formica like top. If it was me I'd most likely get the Taylor 110. Find one without the E (electronics) if you don't need that and save some money.
Gone
1999 Larrivee D-03
1970s Yamaha FG
Old 08-30-2006, 07:04 PM

My personal preference of those three is ... by far ... the BR-160. It is solid rosewood, with styling and bracing based upon a Martin HD-28V. I am not saying it is "as good" as the high end Martin, but the sound is excellent, and it is extremely playable. I prefer it over the 110 because it has a much stronger low end, and much better projection. I am definitely skeptical about the X series Martins ... the material is similar to formica ... a synthetic covering over fibre board ... and I am not convinced that they will endure the years as well as a solid wood guitar such as the Blueridge. The BR-160 also has a bone nut and saddle standard ... definitely a plus.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:27 PM

Thumbs up eBay as a Viable Guitar Source?

Look at the price, location and feedback.
Email the seller and ask questions. EXPECT A PROMPT REPLY.
Get a return agreement upfront on damage or not as described item.
Buy new or used/near mint.
Agree on a tracking number exchange for the payment.

There's always a risk, but if you watch your back and buy from a volume dealer with good feedback, you can keep it to a small concern.

There's great deals on eBay, but the better they look, the more risk involved.

Still, you should be able to save a big chunk shopping with some of the better known sellers there...

Good luck!

Dave
Old 08-30-2006, 09:33 PM

you really shouldn't worry about ebay purchases in the states and in the UK.
Other international destinations I would be wary.
The seller is the one who has to prove that the product was shipped, not the buyer. Purchases using a credit card can allow you to do a chargeback if the seller cannot prove that the product was shipped to you.
People are basically good on Ebay.
Old 08-31-2006, 04:01 AM

thanks for the replies.

What are the implications for having the Formica components in the DX1?

I am thinking it is mostly between the BR160 and the DX1 for me.

Justin
Old 08-31-2006, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxamillian

...What are the implications for having the Formica components in the DX1?...

If you spill eggs, or syrup on it, it will clean right up.

McPherson 4.5W RW/ZI
Taylor 812ce - Taylor 514ce - NS32-ce
Adamas W-597, Epi John Lee Hooker Sig #23 of 220, Squire Black Strat
Jay Turser Maple OM
Taylor W14ce / 422-R Babies x 3
Fishman 130W Tri-Amped Performer Acoustic Amp
Old 08-31-2006, 09:44 AM

jax, i really think you want to go all solid wood here. for that same price, you can get a johnson carolina series, all solid wood backs sides and top, sitka and mahog, and the guitar will ahve a chance to age well and sound better each time you play it. it really is no more $.....

'71 Guild D25
'83 Guild D35
'98 Guild F30r
Old 08-31-2006, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxamillian
What are the implications for having the Formica components in the DX1?
Wood has been proven for around two centuries as a material that will stand up over time in musical instruments, assuming it is properly cared for. HPL has no such track record. The good news, however, is that if an X series fails to stand up to humidity or any kind of stress over time, you can always use it as a cutting board!

As an aside, I admit to being fascinated that I have heard many of the same people who defend the X series guitars, be first in line to demean Ovation, Rainsong, and CA for using other synthetics. To each his own. Whichever way you decide to go, enjoy it and have fun playing it!
Old 08-31-2006, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed51
Wood has been proven for around two centuries as a material that will stand up over time in musical instruments, assuming it is properly cared for. HPL has no such track record. The good news, however, is that if an X series fails to stand up to humidity or any kind of stress over time, you can always use it as a cutting board!

As an aside, I admit to being fascinated that I have heard many of the same people who defend the X series guitars, be first in line to demean Ovation, Rainsong, and CA for using other synthetics. To each his own. Whichever way you decide to go, enjoy it and have fun playing it!
I'm not a fan of the HPLs myself. Mostly for aesthetic reasons. But as far as being a cutting board, the Martin has a lifetime warranty and the made in China all solid wood Blueridge does not.
Gone
1999 Larrivee D-03
1970s Yamaha FG

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion