The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-25-2006, 04:34 AM

Default Carvin AE-185

I made the mistake of leaving a Carvin catalog in the reading room, and now I'm somewhat interested in a Carvin AE-185 as a T5 alternative...for some reason, the T5 neck turns me off....

so, anyone have experience with a Carvin? or more specifically, an AE-185?
Old 08-25-2006, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbondo
I made the mistake of leaving a Carvin catalog in the reading room, and now I'm somewhat interested in a Carvin AE-185 as a T5 alternative...for some reason, the T5 neck turns me off....

so, anyone have experience with a Carvin? or more specifically, an AE-185?
I gave my Carvin DC-200, with which I was quite satisfied, to my nephew and had all but decided to replace it with the AE-185 until the advent of the T5. I just don't like piezoelectric pickups. I would like to try both guitars side by side though.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:51 AM

i love my carvin.

I'd imagine the ae-185 would be far more versatile than the t5 because of the 2 humbuckers (with coil taps) on top of the piezo. the heel-less neck through is really nice if you play up that high.
Japanese Ephiphone Thunderbird > yorkville xm50
Old 08-26-2006, 09:11 PM

Thumbs up Carvin 185

One of the advantages of the Carvin or my Anderson Cobra with the X-bridge
is that you can run stereo or dual mono outputs, which you can't with the
T5 (or else I would have convinced myself to buy one).
Old 08-27-2006, 07:40 AM

I listened to a singer playing an AE-185; and I thought he sounded pretty good.
I played a T5, and my wife thinks I sound pretty good. But when I suggested to a friend about a T5, he scoffed at me...
it seems like it's the new "electro-acoustic kool-aid" guitar that "coffee-shop" perfomers have to have!
I think I'd just rather have a Fishman Powerbridge put on my Strat...way cheaper than any of these guitars!
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 08-27-2006, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchelB
. ...I played a T5, and my wife thinks I sound pretty good. But when I suggested to a friend about a T5, he scoffed at me...
it seems like it's the new "electro-acoustic kool-aid" guitar that "coffee-shop" perfomers have to have!
I think I'd just rather have a Fishman Powerbridge put on my Strat...way cheaper than any of these guitars!
To use the term coffee shop performer derogatorily is to ignore the fact that there are successful, talented and respected performers that started out in coffee shops.

The problem with T5 alternatives is the sound of their pieozoelectric pickups.
Old 08-28-2006, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter
To use the term coffee shop performer derogatorily is to ignore the fact that there are successful, talented and respected performers that started out in coffee shops.
or... to use the term "coffee shop performer" derogatorily is to ignore the fact that there are wonderful coffee shops out there that are plagued by unsuccessful, untalented, and unrespectable performers... but enough about me.

i think what franchelB was meaning is that there's a lot of small venue, sound-the-same acoustic performers - and some who are more insterested in having the latest gear and looking the part, than actually performing well. I'm sure the term wasn't meant to insult performers for simply playing in coffee shops.
Japanese Ephiphone Thunderbird > yorkville xm50
Old 08-28-2006, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyee
... I'm sure the term wasn't meant to insult performers for simply playing in coffee shops.
It WASN'T meant as an insult. AND it wasn't me, but a friend, who said the fact. But that's besides the point. IMO, Carvin makes decent products at a reasonable price. Why some people would rather spend almost twice the price of an AE185 for a T5 is puzzling to me...
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 08-28-2006, 08:07 PM

Carvin rocks!!

Old 08-30-2006, 05:52 PM

I'm a gonna do it.....my order is poised for submission.......now, I just have to let the wife know about it....

the spec:

Carvin AE-185
Mahogany Neck-thru body
Cedar Top
Tortoise binding
birds eye maple fretboard with abalone dots
cream bezel, cream and black pups
sunset burst
TBondo TRC
10 day trial (only pay shipping)
Old 08-30-2006, 08:33 PM

A lot of people will be interested in your review of your new Carvin, Tom. Don't keep us waiting any longer than necessary, OK?

Generally speaking, I like the Carvin company, especially their low and mid-range PA gear. Their electrics and basses seem to be highly regarded, though their acoustics perhaps a bit less so.

Because they don't have thousands of dealers spread out everywhere, they can keep their prices very reasonable, and their Customer Service is usually first class. The 10-day trial is a very good thing, too.

Looking forward to reading your impressions.

cotten
Old 09-03-2006, 04:30 AM

Yo cotten,

You got it.....since I couldn't find many used, I figured the 10 day free trial was about the only way to get to play one configured to my spec.....the time estimate for the build (in the catalog) was as little as 4 weeks, the customer service guy I talked to said 7 weeks, but 5 or 6 weeks would be better so I could take it to Monroestock this year. Then I could have the gang check it out and we'd really know the whole story. I told the CSR that I was only ordering it to compare it to a T5, and it was coming right back if the quality of the finished product wasn't at that level.

Speaking of MonroeStock, you gonna come this year?
Old 09-05-2006, 04:52 PM

I'd love to, Tom, but I don't get weekends off, and Monroe is a looong drive back on Saturday night in order to be in place Sunday morning at 7:30. Anybody got a private helichopper they're not using?

cotten
Old 09-10-2006, 02:44 AM

tbondo,
I use a Hamer Duotone, very similar to the AE185. It's outfitted with two output jacks, one for the two humbuckers and one for the piezo. It's great to be able to instantly switch to entirely different sounds, or to blend them. I use it in church, with one panned left and the other right, with different effects.
There is virtually nothing that could fail during a gig.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:28 PM

the guitar has shipped (as of 10/12/06) and is scheduled to be delivered 10/18....which means it should be here to make the MonroeStock peer review I was hoping for.....ok, I'm energized even more now.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification