The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-30-2006, 03:43 PM

Default Advice on shipping an acoustic?

I've shipped tons of electrics, amps, and other stuff, so I've got the basics down. Are there any special considerations for acoustics in particular? I know that you should pack underneath the headstock to support it and to also release some string tenstion (both according to www.frets.com). Anything else?

How do you guys pack them for shipment?
Old 05-30-2006, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

There is an interesting article on the Taylor web site where they recommend that you DON'T loosen the strings - I've never heard THAT before.

Here's what their site says:
"Many players and repairpersons believe it's best to de-tune a guitar for long-distance flights, due to changes in air pressure and temperature in the baggage compartment. We don't recommend doing so, because if you de-tune a guitar for any length of time, you also have to loosen the truss rod. Otherwise, the neck may develop a back bow, and it could prove difficult to completely correct that. In other words, you actually could do long-term damage to the instrument by loosening the strings and not loosening the truss rod at the same time. On a Taylor guitar, it's best to simply leave it as is, even on relatively long flights. Otherwise, just use your best judgement when it comes to traveling with your Taylor. For example, don't leave it sitting in a car for any length of time, because not only can it be stolen, but the extreme temperatures can cause serious damage resulting in costly repairs."

Maybe shipping is a different beast - but I thought this was interesting.

Building one-off acoustic guitars since 2008
Old 05-30-2006, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songsender
There is an interesting article on the Taylor web site where they recommend that you DON'T loosen the strings - I've never heard THAT before.

Here's what their site says:
"Many players and repairpersons believe it's best to de-tune a guitar for long-distance flights, due to changes in air pressure and temperature in the baggage compartment. We don't recommend doing so, because if you de-tune a guitar for any length of time, you also have to loosen the truss rod. Otherwise, the neck may develop a back bow, and it could prove difficult to completely correct that. In other words, you actually could do long-term damage to the instrument by loosening the strings and not loosening the truss rod at the same time. On a Taylor guitar, it's best to simply leave it as is, even on relatively long flights. Otherwise, just use your best judgement when it comes to traveling with your Taylor. For example, don't leave it sitting in a car for any length of time, because not only can it be stolen, but the extreme temperatures can cause serious damage resulting in costly repairs."

Maybe shipping is a different beast - but I thought this was interesting.
That is interesting. The guitar that I'm shipping (a Seagull) actually has a dual truss rod, so getting a back bow would be easily correctable. Maybe I'll just detune them a little bit.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:42 PM

Frets.com has an excellent article on packing your guitar for shipping.

Pack up my old guitar.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_dog
Frets.com has an excellent article on packing your guitar for shipping.

Pack up my old guitar.
Yep, I've read that. He didn't say much about packing outside of the case though. Also, what materials would be OK to use with nitro finish by the headstock? I understand that plastic materials (and vinyl) could harm the finish. Also, I'm assuming that the guitar (Seagull) has a nitro finish as the finish is listed to be "Genuine Lacquer".
Old 05-31-2006, 10:36 AM

Carefully.

Gurian S3R
Gibson SG Jr
Ibanez GAX 70
Yamaha FG 720S (brown sunburst)
Burny SG
Gibson ES 137
Old 05-31-2006, 12:36 PM

frets.com shows crumpled newspaper by the headstock. I'd spring for some unprinted newsprint, just to avoid ink transfer. For a one shot deal go to some place that sells art supplies, (including Staples, Office Depot, Walmart, Target, etc.), and get a small pad of it in the drawing paper section.

If it were my guitar I'd also wrap the head stock loosely in one of those microfiber towels, to help keep it clean and un-scratched. You can get those towels at Walmart in the car wax and polish aisle, for a buck or so each. The local dollar store has them also.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:05 PM

a couple others sites worth mentioning is:

www.maurysmusic.com

www.guitar-repair.com

these sites, in addition to frets.com give helpful hints on packing your instrument. in regards to the whole de-tuning thing, I think it is in the best interest of the guitar to detune it. it has been my experience that de-tuning a guitar will greatly reduce the "whiplash" effect of the guitar WHEN it falls...because it WILL fall.

in addition, note that your guitar WILL be handled roughly. it WILL be dropped, it will be shaked, rattled and rolled. HOWEVER, if you use the aforementioned sites and their packaging tips, you will GREATLY reduce any risk of injury.

the main points:

1. de-tune
2. lots of peanuts
3. padding above and below the headstock
4. padding underneath the heel (if there is a gap)
5. padding around the guitar inside the case so the guitar doesn't move.
6. take the battery out
7. stuff the guitar inside the case so that it's a little "tough" to close it
8. use common sense...at least 2 inches of padding inside the guitar box on all sides.
9. newspaper is commonly REJECTED when processing a claim if used as packaging material.
10. good luck
Old 05-31-2006, 04:04 PM

Bryan Kimsey also has a great article on packing. There was a horror story on UMGF about a vintage Martin that was dropped on its end and split thru the endpin - I always pull mine and throw it in the string pocket. Others say it isn't necessary but it doesn't cost anything to do it. UPS, insure for replacement value, don't write "expensive martin guitar" on the outside - normal stuff.

http://www.bryankimsey.com/shipping/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion