The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-30-2006, 02:40 PM

Default swapping 1 3/4" NT necks

Not sure if this is a viable option but, a friend of mine has as 814CE and wants to swap necks with my 414CE. I'm not sure why he wants to as his is almost new and mine has the large dot inlays on the fretboard. While I don't mind having the 814 neck with nicer inlays, is it a viable option to swap the necks? They're both 1 3/4" NT necks and both 2005 models. Would this be a simple swap? I know how to remove the neck but are there any discrepancies between the bodies that would make this impossible? I know you can't swap a 1 11/16" onto a 1 3/4" but my intuition is telling me that it should be pretty simple... any thoughts?

mike
Larrivee OM-03R

Last edited by miteemike3; 05-30-2006 at 03:06 PM.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:32 PM

You might have to get a bunch of shims from Taylor to get the set right. Frank Ford has some pics of how the NT neck goes together - I assume setting the angle is just a matter of working with the shims (same formula would apply as to removing material in a normal dovetail or MT neck). I would also assume that shims would be available to any authorized Taylor repair person as they would have to have them to do neck resets.

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Luth...t/99joint.html
Old 05-30-2006, 03:53 PM
Me

This came up last week. I think the answer was no, but you should call Taylor and ask.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveS
This came up last week. I think the answer was no, but you should call Taylor and ask.
Yeah I read up on that thread actually and it dealt with swapping an 1 11/16" for an existing 1 3/4". I can understand the arguments about why that won't work. But... since the string spacing and neck seem identical, it shouldn't have the same problems... any other thoughts?

Freeman - Thanks for the link
Larrivee OM-03R
Old 05-30-2006, 09:55 PM

I asked Taylor to swap necks, both on guitars with the same nut width, same body size. They would not do it. The reason given was that the neck pocket could be different on the two guitars, so one neck might not fit into the pocket cut. I don't know if that's the real reason they won't do it, but it was what they told me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion