The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-30-2006, 02:32 PM

Default Switching Teams - From Taylor to Gibson

Hello everyone! I have been seeking a new dread over the past few weeks going to various shops and playing different guitars. I come from taylors (314 then a t5 and 714ce) and was previously posting about how I was so used to taylor that I had trouble ear-ing\was uncertain about other guitars.

Well ...there is no more uncertainty here - I have switched teams from Taylor to Gibson! All because of a wonderful Advanced Jumbo I picked up this weekend:

This baby was the one. I played a ton of guitars and after eliminating a Hummingbird, J-45 and a few martins I was left with a 2 hour shootout between 2 810's and 3 Advanced Jumbo's.

It was mere luck that the Guitar Center in Indy happened to have 3 of the Gibsons and all of them just in (with frest strings). For what its worth the 810's sounded the same to me as I could here but then again, taylor has great QC. I was able to eliminate one Advanced Jumbo right away - itt sounded box-ey, and just had a bad tone to it. I could see glue drops inside the body and wood crummies attached to pieces on the inside from bad cut work. The guitar just sounded dead. The other two Advanced Jumbo's both felt and looked good but had different sounds from eachother and the 810. The 810 was brighter and had that sparkle but did not play as nice as the two gibsons, the second Advanced Jumbo's had a more wholesome sound with really big bass but sounded a little box-ey comparred to the third but way better than the first. Like there was not quite a balance between the high and low end but it could be the perfect sound for someone. The third Gibson was a tad brighter than the second, but less so than the Taylor. It had great balance and was so wonderfully clean and full.

This 3rd Gibson was the one I ended up getting. They may be hit or miss, but when they are sweet ...they are SWEET!

Last edited by shawntp; 05-30-2006 at 02:37 PM.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:47 PM

Thumbs up Beautiful Gibson...

Oh my!
That is one sweet guitar, and it'll no doubt get better with time and use.
Play with changing strings often, and you're liable to find a combination that will knock yer socks off.
Just beautiful...
Old 05-30-2006, 04:23 PM
Qui Plantavit Curabit

Talking Gone to the Dark Side, eh Luke ?

It's OK to flirt with the Dark Side, but you won't be able to do without a Taylor forever . . . the pull is just too strong ! Help ! I'm being pulled towards an X12 . . . . .

"A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the whole force of the common enemy."
--Samuel Adams
Old 05-30-2006, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

Hi Shawn...
Glad you found one you enjoy and are a bit passionate about.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-30-2006, 05:17 PM

That is one fantastic looking burst. I am not a fan of bursts, but that one looks really amazing.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:23 PM
Guitar Honey

A friend of mine just bought a Gibson dread this weekend at GC's big sale. He loves it. I found it a bit, sort of clunky feeling, but he's enjoying it and that's what counts! It does have a nice mellow, definitely bluesy tone to it. I don't remember the exact model, though.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:57 PM
The Middle Way

Welcome to the club! Once you get a good gibson in your hands, you are hooked for life!

Congrats!

Guitars: Too many, but current favorite: 2006 Santa Cruz D-12

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense." - Buddha

Blog: soundr
Old 05-30-2006, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by preston
It's OK to flirt with the Dark Side, but you won't be able to do without a Taylor forever . . . the pull is just too strong ! Help ! I'm being pulled towards an X12 . . . . .
I guess you might call Gibson the dark side... from a certain point of view.

But I like Gibson, and think they are all right.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:32 PM

Congrats on your Gibson. They are making some real cannons. I'm fortunate to own Gibsons, Taylors, and Martins. They all bring something special to the table.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:35 PM

One of the best new guitars I've played in the last few years was an AJ. There is some fine stuff coming out of Montana. Congratulations. But where did the pickguard go?

Tim
Old 05-30-2006, 09:59 PM

Nice looking burst and guitar! Just wondering--what is the "Advanced" in an Advanced Jumbo refer to? Internal bracing? Scale? Not all that familiar with Gibson terminology, so that's why I'm asking. If y'all know, I'd be glad to know too!

1992 Taylor 855
2000 Deering Sierra

2009 Recording King RD-16SN ~ "utility"
2009 Martin HD-28
Old 05-30-2006, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkstrum
Nice looking burst and guitar! Just wondering--what is the "Advanced" in an Advanced Jumbo refer to? Internal bracing? Scale? Not all that familiar with Gibson terminology, so that's why I'm asking. If y'all know, I'd be glad to know too!
Here is a little history ... for what it's worth. The AJ is a copy of an old Gibson design, and it was the follow-up of a model called, cleverly enough, the Jumbo. Also ironically, by today's terminology it is not a jumbo body style at all, but a slope-shouldered dreadnought.

1934 Gibson Jumbo guitar introduction specs:
$60 retail list price, 16" wide body, 10.25" long body, 4.5" deep, round shoulder dreadnought body shape, mahogany back and sides, sides taper from bottom to top, 3.75" soundhole, bound top and back, rectangular bridge, rosewood fingerboard, dot fingerboard inlays, pearl logo, retangle bridge with no bolts (hence no pearl dots), 1 1/8" below the soundhole "X" bracing at 100 degrees with three tone bars, scalloped top braces, fire striped celluloid pickguard, unbound 1.75" wide "V" shaped mahogany neck with a pointed French heel, 24.75" scale length, pearl "Gibson" peghead logo, nickel plated Grover G-98 tuners, sunburst finish on top and back (top sunburst is "small", with the yellow covering about 1/4 of the top).

Late 1935 Gibson Advanced Jumbo guitar introduction specs:
$80 retail list price, 16" wide, round shoulder dreadnought shape, rosewood back and sides, single bound top, back and fingerboard, diamond and arrowhead fingerboard inlays, 25.5" scale length, larger 4" soundhole and slightly narrow waist than the Jumbo model, 1" below the soundhole "X" bracing at 105 degrees with two tone bars, 1 1/8" wide maple bridge plate, 6.1" long x .910" wide rectangle bridge with two tiny bolts covered by two pearl dots, mahogany "V" neck finished in brown, neck heel is rounded and has a slight sunburst finish on it, vertical diamond and arrowhead peghead inlay, flamed celluloid pickguard, sunburst finish on top.

Biggest differences seem to be Rosewood instead of mahogany, longer scale length, change in bracing design, and different neck.

And I highly recommend staying away from Guitar Center on Memorial Day. I too, had an AJ follow me home. I had resisted it for several weeks, but the sale and financing finally did me in.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:54 PM

nice find and nice move. when you find a good gibson it really is magic. i played one of those very guitars the other day and i was blown away by the tone. it just rumbled and sang. basic chords took on a new life on that thing. it was strung up fresh and was just amazing.

screw image

play what you like
Old 05-31-2006, 05:26 AM

Shawn, good move. I like these and the J-60's I've played. Is this replacing a Taylor dread you had?
Old 05-31-2006, 06:40 AM

Congrats on your new Gibson. If I had any issues with my J-45 R, they would be taken care of with an Advanced Jumbo its longer scale and nicer inlay. Then again, I'd probably use lighter strings. Anyway, you've made a great choice and it'll be sounding really good in a few years.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion