The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-30-2006, 09:05 AM

Default Looking for an OM guitar

Hi, this is my first post here, I've got a quite a few questions packed away in here, so thanks in advance if you can answer any of them for me.

I've been looking for a smaller bodied acoustic guitar to play both fingerstyle and flatpicking. I've looked at a lot of guitars, and I wanted to get an OM guitar, but my budget is only around $300 which can stretch maybe to a bit under $400.
Anyone have any suggestion on a guitar that fits into my budget?

I've also seen guitars specified as Folk, Grand Auditorium/Concert... are these the same as an OM in terms of body shape and bout widths and depths? Or does it vary based on maker?

Some of the guitars I've been looking at are the Walden G570, Worthington OM5CE, Beaumont OM7, and Alvarez AF60S.

Another maker I'm looking at is Drive Cedar Ridge Acoustics, D350CE or CR Limited CE. http://www.switchmusic.com/cedarridge_view.aspx?pid=81
But these acoustics seem too good to be true, all-solid construction, electronics, florentine cutaway, all for under $300. Anyone know anything about these acoustics?

Also, I like a warm bassy sound like in guitars with solid rosewood backs/sides, do you get a similar effect when the back and sides are rosewood laminates?

Last edited by 61cygni; 05-30-2006 at 09:30 AM.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:42 AM

I think the alvarez is the way to go....I've been very impressed with the quality and tone of these relatively low end guitars...

enjoy the hunt

Blue

Larrivee OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Harmony Herd (1203, 162, 165, 6362)
Silvercreek T-170
Composite Acoustics Cargo RAW
Old 05-30-2006, 12:23 PM

Default om8ce

I picked up an Samick om8ce last month, solid cedar top, fishman electronics, cutaway,

I simply love the guitar, I got it with the case for $450 CAD.

I would highly recommend it.

I just changed the saddle and nut to tusq and the bridge pins to brass.

seems to project well, and loud for the size, and has great sustain
Old 05-30-2006, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue in VT
I think the alvarez is the way to go....I've been very impressed with the quality and tone of these relatively low end guitars...

enjoy the hunt

Blue
Let me second that. I have an Alvarez PF90S and it is a great little guitar. It plays well and sounds good. The only way I'm giving that guitar up is if my son takes it off to college.

Also, check out the Seagulls. Again a lot of value for the money.

Jack

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
2008 Applegate C Nylon Crossover
Fender Stratocaster - Eric Johnson Model
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 05-30-2006, 03:18 PM

Grand Auditoriums (OM or 000 or x14 in other terminology) are great for the style you want to play. You need to know that some Grand Auditoriums are just as big as other makers' dreadnoughts. You have to dig into the specs to see what the real size is - look at the lower bout width and the body depth numbers. The shape gives you a hint - but shape alone is not enough to know actual size. Grand Concert (aka 00 or x12) will be smaller than a Grand Auditorium. Guitars called 'Folk' may be be anywhere in size from grand auditorium to classical.

That Alvarez is a good choice (it's a grand concert size in spruce/mahogany). The Walden G570 (grand auditorium size in cedar/sapele mahogany) is not a bad guitar for the price either. I had the Walden only for a day - it had gotten damaged in transit and had to be returned. But, in the short time I had to goof with it, it made me wish it could be kept as I like low-key appearances like it had though it did not seem to be a guitar that would take a beating without getting scarred.

There is a Seagull worth looking at - most Seagulls are dreadnought-sized - but their S6+ Folk model is small - about the size of a classical guitar and it's cedar/cherry.

The Walden G570 and the Seagull Folk are cedar-topped guitars. These have a different sound than a spruce top. That is something you could decide on to help narrow down potential choices - a preference for either cedar or spruce. Cedar will tend to be mellower, spruce brighter.

And watch for sizes - get the actual numeric measurements if you can dig them out. If not, you can figure that a G.A. will be smaller (in depth if not width) than a dreadnought but larger than a G.C. A G.C. will strike you as a small guitar when you see it.

Finally, look at neck widths at the nut - also referred to as nut width. You will find many guitars are 1-11/16 while others are 1-3/4. The small difference does matter - at least to many players. Generally speaking, 1-3/4 is better for the style you want to play though of course opinions differ on that.

The searching is part of the package - take your time and read carefully everything you can find about each potential model. Though not totally reliable, the opinions at Harmony Central's guitar database are worth reading on the models you are considering.

In your price range you will be wanting a solid top and laminate back/sides. If someone promises you all solid woods for under $400, be very skeptical.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

Hi cygni...
I'm intrigued by the Drive Cedar Ridge instruments you listed. The places I looked on the internet do list them as all solid and at reasonable prices.

I've never seen them before, and would love to get a hands on trial. If they are the real deal, and are well constructed, it would seem the logical choice of those you listed.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-30-2006, 03:47 PM

Wow, thanks for all the great responses, I'm going to have to find a local store and play some more cedar topped guitars to compare the tone; I think I'm more partial to a mellower sound than a really bright trebly sound. The only guitar I have right now is my Takamine EG-116 classical, and the nut width from 1-11/16 to 1-3/4 will probably make a large difference to me since the one i have now is rather wide (2 inches when I measured it).

Not many specs I can find on guitar measurements from the manufacturer's sites, so I guess I'll try Harmony Central to see if i can dig some up before going to a store after I narrow it down to 2-3 to try.

Yea, I was so excited about the Drive Cedar Ridge when I first saw it because I absolutely LOVE a good Florentine cutaway. They just look so great, and not enough luthiers use them in my opinion. If I had the money, I would definitely grab one of those and see if they are of solid wood and made decently.

Thanks a lot guys, this forum is awesome, whenever I tried to ask for this kinda help at other forums, I would get replies like "they're all the same shape, get one with solid woods" or "save your money and get <some expensive Santa Cruz/Larrivee/etc way out of my budget>"

Last edited by 61cygni; 05-30-2006 at 03:55 PM.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:18 PM

another vote for the Alvarez AF60S, it is a great guitar....I have had one now for about 2 years...wonderful guitar, especially for the money, outplays many in higher class...at least in my humble opinion...for sure worth a look

Fender Highway One Stratocaster
Larrivee D03WL
Alvarez AF60S
Arbor AJ137
Lahaina Ukulele
Carvin AG100D
Roland Blues Cube
Old 05-30-2006, 08:03 PM

Hi 61cygni,

Welcome!

To me, nothing sounds as good as an all solid wood guitar. Laminates are OK for sides but the soundboard and back have to be solid wood, IMO.

I just picked up a Larrivee OM-03R. It's one of Larrivee's entry level "03" series guitars with solid rosewood sides and back and a solid Sitka Spruce top, and a solid one piece mahogany neck. You can check out the rest of the specs at the link.

List price is $1,349 but I bought mine much less from Jim Holler at Trinity Guitars. He had the best price I could find and it was a real pleasure to do business with Jim. Free shipping and a Larrivee case were included in the price, and Jim packed the guitar RIGHT for shipping. It arrived in perfect condition.

The standard Larrivee OM-03 has solid mahogany back and sides instead of rosewood, a solid Sitka Spruce top, solid one piece mahogany neck, and lists for $1,198. I'm sure you could get one for just a couple hundred dollars over your budget.

It's important to consider price and stay within your budget but if you're going to spend $300 to $400 on a guitar you should really consider a Larrivee 03. They are really incredibly high quality guitars that will last you a lifetime. As time goes by you won't have to trade them in for a "better" model.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:51 PM

Even the best deal on a Larrivee 03 series is way over his budget. Of course that would be a good way to start - but not everyone can just add another few hundred to their established budget.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:06 PM

I appreciate the recommendation for the OM-03, but it's not really feasible for me at the moment. Interestingly enough, in my search for a guitar, I've been using the OM-03R as the gold standard to which I'm comparing the guitars I'm seriously lookng at.

I'm in college right now and most of my money is going towards rent for this summer and tuition/loans. The money I've scraped together thus far has been from playing online poker (Maybe if I was a lot better... ) and a small percentage of my job's wage. I'm just looking for something that will tide me over until I (hopefully) get a job with a decent salary and can save up for a dream guitar.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61cygni
I appreciate the recommendation for the OM-03, but it's not really feasible for me at the moment. Interestingly enough, in my search for a guitar, I've been using the OM-03R as the gold standard to which I'm comparing the guitars I'm seriously lookng at.

I'm in college right now and most of my money is going towards rent for this summer and tuition/loans. The money I've scraped together thus far has been from playing online poker (Maybe if I was a lot better... ) and a small percentage of my job's wage. I'm just looking for something that will tide me over until I (hopefully) get a job with a decent salary and can save up for a dream guitar.
Understood.

I only suggested the OM-03R so that you might use the money you've already budgeted toward a guitar that you could be satisfied playing for many years. The Larrivee is a good standard to use. I'm sure the Alvarez will fit the bill very nicely. You can always use it for your beater when you get that dream guitar!
Old 05-31-2006, 11:08 AM

61cygni - Are you really a double star with a remarkably large proper motion?

Inquiring amateur astronomers want to know

Tom
Old 05-31-2006, 12:01 PM

Yes, I was the first star used to measure parallax (by Friedrich Wilhelm Bessel)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion