The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 05-20-2006, 12:23 PM
In The Pocket

Default Edmund Fitzgerald

Saw this article on Yahoo News and was thinking about that great Gordon Lighfoot song... I guess they are reinvestigating the sinking... I think I will crank it up and sing along...

Edmund Fitzgerald

- Devin

PS: I guess this is the wrong place on the AGF - please move same if necessary - Sorry!
Isaiah 38:20
---------------------
Devin @ MySpace
Devin's Guitars
Old 05-20-2006, 11:02 PM

Default Hey Devin

Thanks for sharing that, glad to see other Gordon fans on this forum. He has soooo many great songs, this one included. I forgot most of the lyrics because it is soooo long, but made me want to record it for posterity. I think what makes that song work, among other things, is the musical background that is added to give it that maritime feeling.

An interesting thing: I first purchased his double gold album which has all his really great stuff, except for the Fitzgerald song. So, I went out and bought the other volume with that song and it was like night and day difference in quality of recordings. In fact, I don't even have that CD any more becasue it was so bad. Now, his gold album, the one with all the hits is a true work of art in the studio, masterfully arranged. His voice sounded so awesome. Anyway, you hit a nerve in me about his music, so thanks for sharing that!
Old 05-21-2006, 05:53 AM

Default gordon

i met the man several years ago in Toronto, a very cool humble individual. and to think we almost lost him last summer as he was very ill.

the man is definitely a folk icon, anc a true Canadian Idol.

Gord thanks for the great songs !
Old 05-21-2006, 07:31 AM
Qui Plantavit Curabit

Default Lightfoot

Aside from JT, I would have to say Gordon has been one of the other greatest influences in my style and interest in acoustic music. I've managed to see him perform live a couple of times which is a rare treat given he gets to my part of the world so infrequently.

As far as the Edmund Fitzgerald, I always was fascinated and still am drawn to any documentary or new evidence on the sinking, as Gordon's poignant lyrics have etched it into our psyche. IMHO, one of the greatest song lyrics for meaning and impact ever written is " Does anyone know where the love of God goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours ?"
That transports most anyone with any imagination and knowledge of the sinking to the place of those poor souls in their last few moments. Powerful stuff.

One of the things I always admired about him, also, was his loyalty to his band, most of which have been with him for decades. It was surprising when I last saw him about 6 years ago to recognize the guys with him onstage as those he was playing with when I saw him 18 years before that. Also showed me that I, too, was aging despite the fact that hearing his voice and the songs transported me back to my youth. I think that's one reason we enjoy the fact that these guys seem to be ageless and timeless, it makes us feel as if we are also.

"A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the whole force of the common enemy."
--Samuel Adams

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell