The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 05-17-2006, 09:58 AM

Question Sitting to play 2

I posted this on another discussion group, then saw this one and thought I might do better here.

I am struggling with a comfortable sitting position to play my guitar. My current theme for performances is “An intimate evening . . .” I love the relaxed feeing of playing and performing while sitting. However, I cannot find a sitting position that enhances or even supports my playing. Some background:

The guitar is a Taylor 814ce. I have a comfortable folding chair that I take to performances. I use, or at least have available, an adjustable foot riser. I have tried Chris Proctor’s position with the curve of the body on my right leg. I have also tried the classical position with the curve of the body on my left leg and the swell between my legs. Each of these positions feels good at first, but then either my back twists, my wrists aren’t straight, or a few other problems lead to pain and fatigue.

Standing is the most comfortable.

My initial diagnosis is that the 814 is too big for me. I am 5’8” and find myself struggling to reach around the guitar when I am sitting. Am thinking of trying the Taylor GC.

Any suggestions at all are welcome.

Thanks

Tom
Old 05-17-2006, 10:59 AM
minister of twang

what has worked for me:
1) the guitar chair - http://www.theguitarchair.com
2) a footstool under my right foot while using the "folk" position.

like so:

i play a jumbo (with a wedge) and a grand auditorium, similar in size to the taylor GS and x14s, respectively. in the past i played taylor GCs. i made slight adjustments with the footstool to raise/lower the level per guitar. with the jumbo it's on its lowest level. mine is a wood model made by "stand classic."

i've also used the "neck up" support with various guitars with various results. works best for me with smaller-bodied instruments like my classical.

some will decry using a footstool, especially in the classical position, and there's lots of evidence to suggest that players with back problems, nerve damage and such may have exacerbated these issues by using a footstool in the classical position (footstool under the left foot for right-handed players). there's a trend away from their use in the classical school.

anyway, the classical position has never really worked for me. but elevating the right foot in "folk" position does. i usually take 15min breaks during sets and try not to spend more than 2hrs at a time sitting at any rate. i also play a couple of lap slide guitars in a set, so my position changes a bit, giving the haunches and various a rest.

the guitar chair is very comfortable. it's not cheap, but for me it's been worth it. if gigs are within driving distance, i usually bring mine. makes me look like a total diva, but there it is.

fwiw, i'm about your height on a tall day. i use the standard height guitar chair.

hope this helps.
l'twangage

Last edited by mtmikey; 05-17-2006 at 11:44 AM.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

Tom, I am your height and I am sure you have tried everything possible regarding your sitting position. The Taylor 814ce is a pretty big guitar at least in terms of the depth and width of the lower bout. I think you will have a much easier time with an OM sized guitar which is a very versatile body size. I have one and also an L00 sized guitar which is even more comfortable to play.
Check it out. Good luck, Rick

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 05-17-2006, 11:19 AM

thx Mike, for all the info

Not ready to pay $300+/- for the chair, but probably will eventually. I am sick of being sore and messing with my chair.

At my age (58), i care little appearing diva compared with comfort.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:23 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Have you tried working seated with a strap on? Playing Les Pauls (which are murder when seated without a strap) taught me the value of maintaining the guitar's position with a strap. Once the basic position is maintained independently of the arms, a) there is less upper body strain, b) you are free to move enough to ease any latent stresses, and c) you can pivot the guitar to drop the lower bout to the point where it isn't in the way. Another aid you might consider is a portable model SOUNDSEAT with a mid-back.

Mine has the short gas cylinder. Though its a chunk of change to invest, you are set with one of the most comfortable playing devices around. Between the foot ring, a footrest, and a strap, you should be able to come up with a position that keeps you absolutely comfy. Mine has simply made playing time length a non-factor as my back and shoulders don't become sore.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-17-2006, 11:40 AM
minister of twang

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvolhein
At my age (58), i care little appearing diva compared with comfort.
i hear ya... i don't have as many rings as you as of yet, but i gave up on being sore some time back. back problems, rotator cuff injuries, bouts with tendinitis, etc., have taught me to pay attention to this stuff early on.

fwiw, on a related note, i also sprang for one of these recently:

http://rocknrollercart.com/

certainly makes getting the chair in and out a lot easier. and i'm the envy of everyone at load-ins. last night i played a 3hr set at a club on the top floor of a historic hotel downtown. there is no earthly way i'd have gotten my rig up there (from a distant parking garage, through a long passageway, up two separate elevators linked by a narrow, long hall, and a final flight of stairs [dealt with manually, but at least i had the energy]) without it. the chair provided a comfy spot to recuperate after all of that.

good luck widdit.
l'twangage
Old 05-17-2006, 12:24 PM
Eric Skye

Do you use a strap? I can't sit in any one pose for a few hours. I find the strap when seated let's me move around enough to be comfortable but keeps the guitar in the same spot.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:45 PM

I second (or third) on strap, I never leave home without strap, I always use strap either sit or stand (or jump!) except when play classical nylon string guitar, try it if you not yet doing that and you might like it. But again give it sometime to adapt to it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell