The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-18-2006, 05:51 PM

Default Seagull Grand

Okay, I've been looking around, and may be able to get a lightly used Seagull Grance for a decent price. But, I've heard that cedar tops are delicate. Is it delicate like it's going to splinter or split the moment it's bumped into something?

I also heard that the intonation of Seagulls can be off a bit sometimes. It that a real big concern, or are most of them well in tune?

How do the forum members here like the Grand? What does it sound like? How does it play? Tell me everything you know about this guitar.

Thanks!

Last edited by cosine; 03-18-2006 at 09:34 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 03-18-2006, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosine
Okay, I've been looking around, and may be able to get a lightly used Seagull Grance for a decent price. But, I've heard that cedar tops are delicate. It is delicate like it's going to splinter or split the moment it's bumped into something?...
Don't know about the "Grande" model specifically, but you needn't worry that a cedar-topped guitar is going to splinter or split if bumped. Cedar isn't as hard a wood as sitka spruce, for instance, so it might "ding" a little easier--and many Seagulls are cedar topped AND satin finishes, which are a bit less durable than the gloss.

But many feel cedar to be a more responsive and sweeter sounding wood, and have dreads with cedar tops, so it's not all just a buncha finger-pickers. Cedar also will age a bit more quickly than spruce. I wouldn't worry about it falling apart, however. It's a fine tonewood, and wouldn't be used on so many guitars if it was that fragile.

1992 Taylor 855
2000 Deering Sierra

2009 Recording King RD-16SN ~ "utility"
2009 Martin HD-28
Old 03-20-2006, 12:56 PM

Here is a shot of my Grand .
This one has some very old, and figured cedar. It does seem to pick up a ding now and then, but the sound is very surprising for such a small guitar.

Pat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion