The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-26-2006, 01:58 AM

Question Setting Intonation - HELP!

There must be an easier way to set intonation than what I'm going through --- right? I'm currently putzing around with a Fender Squire '51 with the hardtail adjustable bridge. I tuned using my Intellitouch tuner, compare the 12th fret harmonic with the octave pitch and adjust the screw accordingly. Each adjustment comes up short, so I repeat the process all over again --- well, repeatedly! It's taking me forever to get through a couple of strings! What am I doing wrong?

Some time ago, I took another guitar into the local tech. Using a Peterson tuner, he did all 6 strings in about 3 minutes! Obviously, experience must play a role in this. Any tips for the inexperienced?
Old 01-26-2006, 10:59 AM

Compare it with your ears. If the 12th fret harmonic sounds lower than the fretted note, lengthen the scale, and vice versa. That's how I'd do it, my tuner is only accurate to 1/100th of a semitone, which isn't enough for setting intonation. Your ears may well be more accurate. Plus it'd be faster than arsing around with a tuner, with its needle wobbling all over the place, regardless of how accurate it is.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:15 PM
.tom the übergeek

Your intellitouch is not suited to the task.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:06 PM

Be patient.

Your Intellitouch is only a "ballpark" tuner. Don't expect it to give you precise results because it can't. If you don't trust your ears, get a better tuner. Or, at least one with better resolution.

Doc
Old 01-27-2006, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc
Be patient.

Your Intellitouch is only a "ballpark" tuner. Don't expect it to give you precise results because it can't. If you don't trust your ears, get a better tuner. Or, at least one with better resolution.

Doc
OK, I'm getting the message about the Intellitouch. So, beyond my ears (I mostly trust them, but I read that I needed to use a tuner), what tuner would work better? I get kinda squeamish thinking about the $$$ for a Peterson Strobe.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:53 AM

If you don't have the $200 for a Strobostomp, give a techy $30 to set the intonation. Make sure he has a Peterson.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:50 AM

The Intellitouch is certainly not a precise tuner. If you want a strobe tuner but don't want to pay the bucks, check out the Strobosoft software that Peterson sells. You can download the basic version for the same price you paid for the Intellitouch. It's not portable of course, but accurate.

A few other notes also deserve mention. Setting your intonation is among the very last steps of a setup, and you should make sure everthing else is adjusted properly first. This is where many find it better just to take it in to thier tech.

Many people also pull thier hair out about intonation, because the don't realize the limitations that are involved. The most important is consistancy of the player. Most players could sit at a tuner, fret and play the same note a dozen times and get a dozen different notes if you are measuring by the 1/10 cent. The slightest, almost imperceptible difference in finger position, pressure, and several other variables can make a big difference when you are measuring in that small of an increment. A very consistant player might be able to stay within a range of +/- 2 cents.

Then there is the human ear. If a tuner is accurate to 1/100th of a semitone (most are not) then it beats your ear by at least three fold. The average human, even trained musicians, can not distinguish two notes played seperately as different tones until there is at least a 3-5 cent difference. This is due to the mechanisms of the inner ear that sense pitch differences, not training or experience. Now you can certainly hear differences when the two notes are played together, but not if you are playing the 12th harmonic, then fretting. Then there is the temperament issue which is another topic all together.

Don't pull your hair out over it. If you're going in to the studio, take it in to a professional and make sure it's perfect. If you're playing with friends and it sounds good to you in the context of playing, then it's good enough.

Last edited by David Collins; 01-27-2006 at 12:40 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-27-2006, 12:18 PM

Remember that your intonation will be affected by every single truss rod, action, and neck angle adjustment. It's not something you have a tech do once and live happily ever after. Furthermore, your personal touch, (I.e., how much pressure you use to fret notes) is another variable which a tech might not successfully consider.

Consider saving your dough for an accurate tuner. You won't be sorry!

Doc
Old 01-28-2006, 02:21 PM

OK, thanks Daddyo, Collins & Doc! Excellent advice. I think I'm gonna visit my tech-dude. I really like the features of the Strobostomp - it's on my list.
Old 01-28-2006, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsLuthiery
The Intellitouch is certainly not a precise tuner.
You are certainly right on this one. I still have to tweak the tuning after using the Intellitouch. I do have to say that the Intellitouch speeds things up a little to get close. As you mentioned, finger pressure is one of the most overlooked aspects.
Old 01-28-2006, 09:01 PM

Well, you never know what you'll learn on the AGF!
I have been using an Intellitouch for years now and thought I was losing my hearing or going nuts. I play a lot more now than I used to [at least an hour a day] and lately I've noticed that after using the tuner, it would still be off to my hearing. I always had to fine tune by ear. I have changed batteries and still no difference. Never knew they were that inaccurate [no offense to the manufacturer].
Old 01-28-2006, 09:44 PM

I've been told that it's better to intonate setting 12th fret fretted note to *exactly* one octave above the open string note. (Historically, intonating has been setting 12th fret harmonic to match 12th fret fretted note.)

Which way is really the best way to intonate?

Ovation CSE24

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification