The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Events and New Releases

Old 12-02-2005, 02:24 AM

Default Sandy's Upcoming Chicago shows

Hi, all! If you are going to be in the Chicago area the next few weeks, here's where I'll be:

Tues. 12/6-Sat. 12/10: in the cast of the Chicago Bar Assn's famed "Christmas Spirits" revue at the Merle Reskin Theatre, 60 E. Balbo in the Loop. 7:30 curtain. The title of this year's show is "Scamalot." (You do the math). I play a reporter, one of Michael Jackson's attorneys (with the requisite moves), a jubilant Sox fan, a biology professor and (surprise) a lawyer. No guitar this year, unfortunately (the writers couldn't find an acoustic-friendly song and electric would have been too unwieldy), but lots of singing, acting and attempted dancing. $60 gets you the show, $105 show plus chicken dinner, $120 show plus filet mignon dinner. (Proceeds go to the Chicago Bar Charities).

Tues. 12/13: leading off Dec.'s Old Town School of Folk Music Songwriter Showcase at the Grafton Pub, 4430 N. Lincoln (next door to the School) in Chicago (2 bl. s. of Western Ave. CTA Brown Line stop). I'm on from 9-9:30, so you can get home in plenty of time for a good night's sleep before work the next day. Me solo this time (Susan's on tour with the Bittersweet Christmas Band). *FREE.* But there's lots of good food and drink to buy if you'd like.

Sat. 1/7: SASS! at Borders Books & Music, St. Charles, IL, 8-10 pm. 2 sets, FREE

Sun. 1/8: SASS! at McHenry County College, 2 pm, opening once again for the marvelous Cooper, Nelson & Early. $7.

Sun. 1/8: SASS! at Bill's Blues, 1029 Davis St., Evanston. 7-9:30 p.m. 2 full sets, $7. A marvelous blues venue with acoustic music Sunday nights. Come early at 4 for the open mic (and show off!) and get a discount on our show. Stay after 10 for the jazz if you'd like. No smoking till 10 pm; limited Hecky's BBQ menu and full drink menu available. Keep folk music on the North Shore alive--support Sunday Acoustic Nights at Bill's Blues before they disappear!

We'll be spending the next two weekends after that in the studio in Kalamazoo, finishing up the first full SASS! CD. And the first Andina & Rich CD, "Because We Can" is now available pre-release for purchase at CDBaby.com (www.cdbaby.com/cd/andinarich) and will be downloadable very soon at iTunes and Rhapsody. Listen to Wisconsin Public Radio and NPR's "All Songs Considered" for selections (especially "Safe Home," "Season of Hope" and "Buddy, I'm Just Sick to Death of Christmas"--don't worry about the latter, Steve doesn't really mean it). And tell Dr.Demento to play the title cut again! (He's got my solo version on his compilation CD).

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

One of these days, Sandy, I'll have to make the drive to Chicago to hear you perform. Congrats on your soon to be completed CD!!!

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes

Old 12-04-2005, 10:03 AM

You know, I am debating a spring fling get together, what do you think?
Old 12-05-2005, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim W
You know, I am debating a spring fling get together, what do you think?
Pick a date really quickly--as to weekends, right now half of March and some of April & May are already spoken for! (As a rule, Sundays are better than Saturdays for me, though not when I'm on the road).

I can also host......it's a lot easier than schlepping along my 50-lb. espresso machine and grinder. (Lattes for everyone!!!)

Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

Old 12-05-2005, 12:15 AM
Charter Member

I also would need to know fairly soon... but generally, I can be counted in, I think. I think think.

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes

Old 12-26-2005, 02:46 AM

Default bump

Check out the new & improved SASS! website, at http://www.sass-music.com, as well as Andina & Rich's expanding site at http://andinarich.com

Just a reminder that when I get back from visiting Mom in Delray Beach for Hanukkah and New Year's, I hit the ground running. Here's my schedule:

Sat. 1/7: SASS! at Borders Books & Music, 3539 E. Main St., St. Charles, IL, 8-10 pm. 2 sets, FREE

Sun. 1/8: SASS! at McHenry County College, 8900 US Hwy 14, Crystal Lake, IL, 3 pm, opening once again for the marvelous Cooper, Nelson & Early. $7.

Sun. 1/8: SASS! at Bill's Blues, 1029 Davis St., Evanston. 7-9:30 p.m. 2 full sets, $7. A marvelous blues venue with acoustic music Sunday nights. Come early at 4 for the open mic (and show off!) and get a discount on our show. Stay after 10 for the jazz if you'd like. No smoking till 10 pm; limited Hecky's BBQ menu and full drink menu available. Keep folk music on the North Shore alive--support Sunday Acoustic Nights at Bill's Blues before they disappear!

Next two weekends we'll be holed up in the studio. Then:

Fri. Jan. 27, SASS! at Common Grounds, 2020 Hall Ave., Marinette, WI (right on the WI/MI border, across from Menominee, MI). 7 p.m. 2 sets, free.

Sat. Jan. 28, SASS! at a house concert, Marquette, MI. Contact me for details, or the host at [email protected]

Sun. Jan. 29, 11 a.m.,SASS! provides the music for services at the Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Marquette, MI. Contact the pastor, [email protected] for details.

Fri. Feb. 3, Andina & Rich CD Release Party for "Because We Can," Wild Hog In The Woods Coffeehouse at Wil-Mar Center, 953 Jenifer St., Madison, WI. 7:30, 2 sets, $6. We will be joined by the musicians on our CD: bassist Doug Hamilton (who will, if we twist his arm, do his hilarious parody "Old McDonald Had a Form"), pianist Amy Curl, violinist Julia McConaghey, pennywhistler Ingrid Stark-Rich and the American Dream Memorial Choir. May even feature something from our Travenia labelmates Aaron Nathans, Sof Sof and Bowen Marvik.

Sat. Feb. 4, SASS! at Barb's Basement Concert Series, Milwaukee, WI (contact me for details), 7:30 p.m.

Thurs. Feb. 9-Tues. Feb. 14, SASS! at North American Folk Alliance Conference, Austin, TX. We'll not only be exhibiting but were awarded a 25-minute slot in the *juried* Rose St. Concerts/Indiegrrl Showcase, time and date TBA. Come to our exhibit table (or to the Indiegrrl and GoGirlsMusic tables) and say hi!

Sat Feb. 18: SASS! at a house concert in Plymouth, WI (contact me for details).

The next weekend, we are playing two private functions, one in Skokie, IL Fri, and on Sat. a banquet in Indianapolis.

Fri. Mar. 3, SASS! does the Delta Folks Concert Series at 8th St. Coffeehouse, 8th & Ludington, Escanaba, MI. 2 sets, 7:30, $5

Sat. Mar. 4, Andina & Rich live on Wisconsin Public Radio, WPR in Madison, WI--time TBA. They stream, too. Free (duh).

Wed. Mar. 8, me solo at Red Line Tap, on N. Glenwood just n. of Lunt (next door to Heartland Cafe), free, 9 p.m. Host Rick Veras may lay in some tasty violin licks.

Sat. Mar. 11, SASS! at Edgar's Place Coffeehouse at the Park Forest UU Church. (Opening act TBA). 7:30, $7.

Fri. Mar. 31, Andina & Rich at Cafe Carpe in Ft. Atkinson, WI, 7:30. More details to follow.

Last edited by Chicago Sandy; 12-26-2005 at 01:32 PM. Reason: more details
Old 12-26-2005, 09:43 PM

Do I detect a possible "Chicago gathering" ?

I would make an extra effort to get this one....... ( missed the last one )

"Let's lute the city", said the minstrels.

Oftentimes the only result I get from a thought experiment is a messed up lab.
Old 01-25-2006, 04:14 PM

Default Bump!!!

For those of you in the far NW suburbs of Chicago (or SW WI), especially the Fox Valley, my duo SASS! just got a show on Wed. Feb. 15 at Stage Left Cafe,
at the Woodstock Opera House Annex, 125 Van Buren St., Woodstock, IL. 815-338-5300.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Events and New Releases