The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 10-12-2005, 10:29 PM
just peeking....

Default Tommy Emmanuel up close

This is the first time I have seen Tommy Emmanuel perform live and I just don’t have the words to describe the kind of talent this man has. Some of the things he does with his guitar, I just couldn’t believe! Tommy’s concert was a real treat!

BB kings club was great first time experience as well. The club serves a very diversified menu with a touch of southern flavor. A friend of mine who frequents the club/restaurant recommended that I try the Cajun rubbed “aged” NY sirloin and with with Merlot wine, wow…it was such a delectable meal!!!

Below are some pics that I took last night. Enjoy!

The 4th pic above and 5th pic below show him doing the percusive rendition of "Pegao" which he did following "Mombasa." On the pic below, he is seen hitting the mic with a drum brush.

As Taropatch mentioned, his version of "Mona Lisa" was very impressive. His arrangement has a number of beautiful string bends. TE was deep into the tune when in one of the b string bends…pop! goes the 2nd string!!! Being the Tommy E that he is, coupled with great humor, he quickly grabs the standby guitar. The above and below pic was the susbstitute guitar he used to repeat his rendition of Mona Lisa (you know its a substitute as you can see not a ding or scratch on it ). It has a bigger body than his primary guitar (left pic)and had a comparatively more prominent bass but his choice guitar is more tonally balanced (its almost like the Taylor grand concert size body). I met him after the concert but I forgot to ask him what wood combination he had on that guitar (it looked like mahogany b/s to me).

The last pic with the bluish hue, is his special rendition of a compostion about Australia's Aboriginals. Great use of sound and lighting effects. Here he used a Maton dreadnought- you can see how banged up it is!

"The Only Good Is Knowledge And The Only Evil Is Ignorance" -Socrates

2004 Taylor 514ce
Seagull S6+CW Folk

Last edited by Mismo; 10-13-2005 at 05:53 AM.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:37 PM

Thanks, great report. I was planing of going, but I'm regretting now, I guess.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:12 PM

Great photos, George!
Old 10-13-2005, 05:34 AM

Seeing Tommy perform live is a life changing experience. It is impossible to explain the virtuosity of this artist. He is phenomenal.

Tommy's "on stage" guitars are predominately Maton. The woods on his main player, the one he calls "mouse," is the Australian version of maple and spruce. Personally, I don't care for the Maton unplugged; but plugged in - WOW !!!!! The electronics in this guitar is unbelievable.

But, getting back to Tommy; he is an amazing artist and a very generous and warm person. I strongly recommend seeing him perform live if at all possible. I tell him all the time that he is the greatest one man show on earth; and I really believe he is.

Thanks,
Old 10-13-2005, 05:57 AM

I got to see him earlier this year, in Peoria, IL. It was awesome too. The best part.. It was in a little venue! Only about 150 - 200 people there, if that many.

My YouTube

Facebook

"Only by becoming acquainted with your own self,
can you gain the composure to write original music"

Michael Hedges ♫
Old 10-13-2005, 06:48 AM

Question about Tommy. Would anyone reccomend his instructional c.d.? I've seen it on his website, but I don't really know what's on it that i would, or could,(even with a million years to try to learn it) use. I'm thinking mainly of his outstanding use of harmonics, and rythmns. Does anyone know if he shares how that's done in any great detail? Thx...Mike

Old age and treachery will outsmart youth and skill every time. - My dad...
Old 10-13-2005, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callouses
Question about Tommy. Would anyone reccomend his instructional c.d.? I've seen it on his website, but I don't really know what's on it that i would, or could,(even with a million years to try to learn it) use. I'm thinking mainly of his outstanding use of harmonics, and rythmns. Does anyone know if he shares how that's done in any great detail? Thx...Mike
I haven't seen any of Tommy's instructional videos, but I have attended his workshops and he goes into great detail about the way he does his harmonics and other techniques. Tommy really hammers hard on groove. He is of the opinion that if you can do everything else and don't have groove, you have nothing.

Thanks,
Old 10-13-2005, 07:35 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhudson
I haven't seen any of Tommy's instructional videos, but I have attended his workshops and he goes into great detail about the way he does his harmonics and other techniques. Tommy really hammers hard on groove. He is of the opinion that if you can do everything else and don't have groove, you have nothing.

Thanks,
What is "groove" supposed to mean in this context?

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-13-2005, 08:23 AM

A friend of mine attended the '05 Accent On Music Guitar Seminar held at Lewis & Clark College campus in Portland, Oregon. From what he has explained to me, Tommy's stress on 'groove' is about internalizing the beat, the feel and pulse of a song. Developing that is helped by stomping your foot while playing and/or while listening to any kind of music. It's something that you feel and more importantly that can come through in your playing.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:10 AM
just peeking....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhudson

Thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by taropatch
A friend of mine attended the '05 Accent On Music Guitar Seminar held at Lewis & Clark College campus in Portland, Oregon. From what he has explained to me, Tommy's stress on 'groove' is about internalizing the beat, the feel and pulse of a song. Developing that is helped by stomping your foot while playing and/or while listening to any kind of music. It's something that you feel and more importantly that can come through in your playing.
Thanks for the kudos, Taropatch...

I think Bob Womack's article on "The Art of the Solo" (the topic on " The Basic Form of the Solo: Tension Structure) can give us the sense of what he means by the "groove."

Refer to the link below:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...45&postcount=1

"The Only Good Is Knowledge And The Only Evil Is Ignorance" -Socrates

2004 Taylor 514ce
Seagull S6+CW Folk

Old 10-15-2005, 06:27 PM

Default TE in Boston

Saw Tommy in Boston two nights ago. He has just finished the drive from BB Kings in NY and played a 2-hour show with tremendous energy. Chet Atkins claimed him to be the best Fingerstyle player on the planet. I agree and strongly recommend seeing him when he comes to your town. BTW- the small Maton he plays has unbeleivable plugged in sound. About the price of a mid-line Taylor.

Martin D41 Custom - 2017
Gibson Custom Shop 1963 ES-335 - 2013
Ryan Custom Paradiso - 2010
Kanile -Joe Souza Ukulele - 2007

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell