The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-14-2024, 08:22 PM

Default Clicking/ticking noise coming from bridge

I have been noticing a ticking noise coming from around the bridge area. I have recently replaced the plastic pins with ebony pins and that's when I first noticed the noise. I changed back to the original plastic pins but that didn't seem to fix the issue. I notice it more when I play with my fingers and plucking individual strings. I checked inside the guitar and the strings area seated right up against the bridge plate. I had also fitted the guitar with a new bone saddle and nut but my best guess is that it is something to do with the bridge pins.

I am hoping someone here can help me diagnose the problem. It can be a nuisance sometimes when playing.

Last edited by yosen91; 05-14-2024 at 08:33 PM.
Old 05-14-2024, 08:41 PM
Curiouser and curiouser

Try putting a little graphite (even just from rubbing a #2 pencil on it) on the top of the saddle and see if it goes away. You might also run your finger across the top of the saddle and see if you can feel any slight irregularities.

I'm more inclined to think it's the saddle, and not the bridge pins.
Old 05-14-2024, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosen91 View Post
I have been noticing a ticking noise coming from around the bridge area. I have recently replaced the plastic pins with ebony pins and that's when I first noticed the noise. I changed back to the original plastic pins but that didn't seem to fix the issue. I notice it more when I play with my fingers and plucking individual strings. I checked inside the guitar and the strings area seated right up against the bridge plate. I had also fitted the guitar with a new bone saddle and nut but my best guess is that it is something to do with the bridge pins.

I am hoping someone here can help me diagnose the problem. It can be a nuisance sometimes when playing.
If it's an occasional "tick" it might be coming from the nut slots. Make sure they don't pinch the strings and make sure there's a bit of graphite lube in the slots.
Old 05-14-2024, 10:13 PM
Charter Member

I'm with The GITM on this.

Is the saddle slotted, or does it have grooves, burrs, ridges, etc. that the strings might be popping into or out of or over? It shouldn't... but I've had similar issues with saddles that had little imperfections in them... burrs, or little grooves in the saddle that the string would pop out of and back into.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 05-15-2024, 07:36 AM

Try loosening and then tuning each string one by one. I had a similar issue and one of the string ball ends was vibrating against a bridge pin when certain notes were played.
Old 05-15-2024, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

If you have one of those sound hole mirrors with lights (cheap on Amazon) - look at your string barrels and make sure they are flush up against the bridge pins and the bridge plate.
Martin D-41
Martin 000-18
Old 05-15-2024, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)

Use a piece of paper and tap around the glue joint between the top and bridge. It should have no gap. This is less likely than the other possible causes cited, but it does happen and can produce a clicking sound if a gap is opening.

I can tell you all I know, the where to go,
the what to do
You can try to run but you can't
hide from what's inside of you
Old 05-16-2024, 01:59 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosen91 View Post

Does the noise occur only when you're playing?

Do you have any length of fingernails, especially on your pinky?

I'll bet it's your pinky fingernail inadvertently tapping on the pick guard.

HE
Old 05-16-2024, 04:36 AM

Step

away

from

the

guitar....

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion