The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-07-2005, 07:45 AM

Default Gig Bag For Motorcycles

does anyone have any good suggestions on a beefy gig bag with shoulder straps suitable for motorcycle transportation. gas prices are drowning me so i've decided my bike is the best alternative. but i have to carry my 714ce with me a couple days a week. if i'm going appx. 6 miles each way, how will cold or hot temps affect my guitar doing 60mph? has anyone successfully figured out how to safely secure a hardshell case to a motorcycle? any advice is welcome. oh, and i now, if i crash i'll make sure my body creates a safe landing for my taylor! ha!
Old 09-07-2005, 07:49 AM

If you want to carry a Taylor hard case then the only option will be to fit a sidecar!

2018 Hinde custom 2 point Mandolin
2016 Kentucky KM-950 Mandolin
2016 Waterloo WL14 XTR "Tuxedo"
2015 Larrivee All-Hog 000-03 "Vintage"
2014 Ken Miller short scale slope dread
2011 Gibson "New Vintage" Southern Jumbo
2008 Fender Telecaster
Old 09-07-2005, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moo cow
does anyone have any good suggestions on a beefy gig bag with shoulder straps suitable for motorcycle transportation. gas prices are drowning me so i've decided my bike is the best alternative. but i have to carry my 714ce with me a couple days a week. if i'm going appx. 6 miles each way, how will cold or hot temps affect my guitar doing 60mph? has anyone successfully figured out how to safely secure a hardshell case to a motorcycle? any advice is welcome. oh, and i now, if i crash i'll make sure my body creates a safe landing for my taylor! ha!
Motorcycles are too big and heavy to fit in a gig bag.
710-L9
Old 09-07-2005, 10:13 AM

I've done my Yamaha silent guitar on my motorcycle with no issues...

The best things in life, are not Things...
Old 09-07-2005, 10:54 AM
just peeking....

Quote:
Originally Posted by aylorTay anFay
....much less a hard case at that. The sidecar seems to be a good idea. Anyway, with the $$$ you save on gas may pay for the investment of the sidecar eventually (not to mention you can go shopping too).

I have a friend who tried slinging his gig/backpack and riding his motorcycle. He said the headstock part creates air drag that makes it dangerous (even how low he bends over).

"The Only Good Is Knowledge And The Only Evil Is Ignorance" -Socrates

2004 Taylor 514ce
Seagull S6+CW Folk

Old 09-07-2005, 11:25 AM

Ive definitely seen some people do it so it must be possible one way or another. I personally wouldnt try it.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moo cow
has anyone successfully figured out how to safely secure a hardshell case to a motorcycle?
I'd be concerned with the viabrations that would rattle the guitar. Viabrations transmitted from the motorcycle/ground contact (as well as engine viabrations), through the hs case into your guitar... but then again maybe all that viabrations will age the soundboard better hehehehe

A string here, a string there...
Old 09-07-2005, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aylorTay anFay
LOL

2004 Taylor 614CE (returned 4/14/2006)
2002 Washburn D100S
Old 09-07-2005, 02:13 PM

I've carried my papoose several times on my bike with no problems. A full size guitar? I'm still scared to try. I wanted so badly to pick up my new martin on my bike, but alas, i was frightened, would have been a pretty drive,
Rafe
Old 09-08-2005, 06:09 PM

I've done it with beaters but never my "good" guitars. Gig bag or hard case, there's only one way I carry mine. Flat down on the seat behind you like a passenger. If there's no passenger back rest [sissy bar] lay it with the body closest to you and the headstock to the rear. It rides better and doesn't upset your balance as much. If you have to lay it the other way it makes your bike a lot wider, so keep that in mind.
And yes, the sidecar is the way to go. Had one of those on my second bike for 21 years and it'll haul my wife,too!
Old 09-10-2005, 10:33 AM

I carry my big baby on my motorcycle quite a bit. I found that if you don't have anything in the pocket you can strap it on upside down and it creates a lot less drag. Of course its not as valuable to me as say a 714 would be.
Kyle
Old 09-10-2005, 12:51 PM

i carry my fender dg7 on my motorcycle with a gig bag, but id never do that with my taylors...
Old 09-10-2005, 03:43 PM

hey folks, thanks for all the replies. there seems to be a theme here from most you saying "i wouldn't carry my nice taylor but i do carry my less expensive guitars"... is this because of the fear of crashing with a $2500 guitar makes you a little freaked out, or is it because you think the wind, air temp, vibrations, etc. isn't good for it?
i don't worry so much about the crashing part (knock on wood) but wouldn't want to unknowingly damage the guitar from the external forces.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:36 PM

My thought on this is that if I was scared of crashing my motorcycle I would not be riding it. If I were to crash or be hit on my bike, even if I had my most expensive guitar on my back, the guitar would be the least of my concerns. I can only speak for myself on this issue, but the reason I don't carry my expensive guitars on my bike is for fear of a strap coming undone or beraking and them falling off. Temp., wind, and vibration are all minor issues for me. If it is too hot or cold I don't ride anyway, the case protects it from wind, and guitars are meant to vibrate.
Kyle
Old 09-12-2005, 11:11 AM

What type of bike are you riding? I've carried my 814ceLTD on my Gold Wing many times without incident. I've always used the factory hard case when riding with it, never a gig bag. I simply put the large end of the case on the seat, right up against the back of the driver's back rest, lay the neck part of the case on top of the passenger back rest and bungee the whole thing down with two or three cords (at least one running through the handle just in case something comes loose). Always generates some strange looks from folks but who cares about that? Riding a motorcycle and playing a fine guitar...how much better can it get? Good luck.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion