The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-06-2005, 01:18 PM

Default Are expensive guitars harder to play?

I just started learning chords through an instructor a week ago, and have been practicing. I can form the G, Em, C and D chords fairly well, but sometimes I am one fret off. Also, the main problem is that it buzzes when I try to make a C and D, unless I press down very hard, even though the action is good. It can touch the frets without too much effort, but I have to push extra hard to prevent that buzz, unless my fingers are perfectly placed (like within 1/10 mm).

My question is, would an expensive Taylor have the same challenges to play. If my Washburn buzzes when I play some chords, would the Taylor buzz as well? Would the frets be as challenging to find without looking?
Old 09-06-2005, 01:31 PM

Buzzing would be more a function of the set-up/action than of the price of the guitar (although some might argue that a "better" guitar has more latitude for set-up -- some really cheap guitars can't be set up for low action no matter what you do, but a Washburn shouldn't have that problem).

Finding frets without looking -- just takes practice, also not dependent on the price of the guitar.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:36 PM

This is something that'll probably diminish with time even with your current guitar. My guess is, you've been playing for a week (GREAT, by the way!) and you're wondering why it's so hard to play. The truth isn't you're gonn sound bad for a while. Just concentrate on the technique that your instructor is teaching, finger placement and proper fretting are important things to learn. Once you build up some good calluses on your left hand, you'll probably start seeing less buzz.

That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. -- Theodore F. MacManus

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell -- Christopher Walken
Old 09-06-2005, 01:46 PM

More than likely the buzzing you are hearing is from not being able to press all the strings down at the right time at the right place, and it just takes time and practice to improve that.

Several things can affect the difficulty of play. The main difficulty for all new guitarists is the period of time it takes to develop some callouses on the tips of your freting fingers. It just takes some time -- couple of weeks, a month or so, depending on how dilligent you are at perservering thru the initial discomfort and continuing to practice. (Many a newbie has given up after a couple of weeks due to the discomfort.)

The second factor is the height of the strings (the "action"), which can make the initial discomfort period all that much longer and harder. Taylor guitars are known for their very low action making them easier to play than many brands. However, these days, many guitar companies are making guitars better in this regard, compared to 10-20 years ago.

Finally the guage of the strings can affect playing difficulty. Strings are guaged by their thickness, and most Taylor models (except some of the jumbo models) play best with light guage strings. All guitars will sound a hair louder with medium strings, but when you are first learning, the lighter the guage the better.

Keep practicing several times a day for short periods of time until calouses form on your finger tips. Hope this helps.

2006 Martin 0000-28H
2001 Taylor Baby-R
-------------------------
Old 09-06-2005, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

Default Yes and no...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdvip
...My question is, would an expensive Taylor have the same challenges to play. If my Washburn buzzes when I play some chords, would the Taylor buzz as well? Would the frets be as challenging to find without looking?
Hi gsdvip...
The average Taylor plays very well because they arrive from the factory setup properly.

Your Washburn can likely be setup to play more easily than it does, and probably without buzz. Lighter strings and a proper setup will do amazing things for the action of the guitar and the ease with which you can play.

Unless you are playing a very unusual Washburn, the frets would be equally easy to locate on either guitar without looking, and who told you not to look? Guitarists look at frets all the time...it is not breaking laws to look.

Any buzz which is the result of poor technique will go away with practice. Any buzz that is result the need for a setup won't be fixed till a proper setup is done.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-06-2005, 01:56 PM

I'm not supposed to be looking??

Tom
Old 09-06-2005, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar

Unless you are playing a very unusual Washburn, the frets would be equally easy to locate on either guitar without looking, and who told you not to look? Guitarists look at frets all the time...it is not breaking laws to look.
I am using the Light strings that came with it. Will switch to Elixir Nanoweb lights when the stock strings wear out.

Actually, I do look since I play in front of a mirror. I try to monitor my tension as well to make sure I am relaxed. My instructor wanted me to be able to play those 4 chords without looking by the time I meet him again. About five times out of 10, I can get my fingers in the right place with my eyes closed, but I have to place the G first to make sure I am on the right fret. I don't want to train my finger's muscle memory to the wrong positions.

I am pressing extra hard as well so that it will build the memory of my fingers much better. I also don't mind the pain so much. It's more of the dexterity I am working on.

But you know, one thing I have noticed is that songs I listen to that were once complex don't sound so complex now that I am learning some chords. I am not sure if it is all in my head, but I am not so intimidated now by one day being able to play them. It's as if they almost sound slower.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:07 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

If you feel like you are pressing "extra hard", somethings wrong.

Places to start looking;

1) Guitar set up. Get the guitar checked out by somebody who knows what they are doing. (NOT Guitar Center ). Most factory built guitars tend to have some action difficulties..particularly at the nut (down where I suspect you are currently playing the most). In general more "expensive" guitars tend to play better/easier as they pay more attention to things like action, relief, fret crowning, neck issues....but even some costly guitars may need a tweek or two.
Here are some links to "Frets.com" describing how to check your guitar's action, etc. (A GREAT info site for all guitar players/lovers);
http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musi...nutaction.html
http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musi...raction01.html
(BTW, at this stage of your career I think I would avoid "doing it yourself" and leave the setting up of your guitar to a pro.)

2) Your technique. When people start to learn to play the guitar it is pretty much universal that they play to HARD with their fretting hand and to LIGHT with their picking hand. Your fretting fingers should press just barely hard enough to fret the string without buzzing. On a well set up guitar, this is actually fairly lightly.

I highly recommend Jamie Andreas' "The Principles of Guitar Practice" to you;
http://www.guitarprinciples.com/
A book about HOW you actually play the guitar...fretting hand exercises designed to get you to relax, etc. It will cost you less than one guitar lesson and be many times more usefull.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,

Last edited by Jeff M; 09-06-2005 at 02:13 PM.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff M
I highly recommend Jamie Andreas' "The Principles of Guitar Practice" to you;
http://www.guitarprinciples.com/
A book about HOW you actually play the guitar...fretting hand exercises designed to get you to relax, etc. It will cost you less than one guitar lesson and be many times more usefull.
Yes, I already purchased and received that book. I have read about 1/2 of it, and I do practice in the classical position, in front of a mirror.

I think that how hard I press depends on how well I have the strings fretted. If they are just right, the amount of effort is reduced. However there isn't much variation. If I am also more than 1/2 way from the fret, it will buzz. It's like I have to be almost against the fret itself.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:17 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Quote:
Yes, I already purchased and received that book. I have read about 1/2 of it, and I do practice in the classical position, in front of a mirror.

I think that how hard I press depends on how well I have the strings fretted. If they are just right, the amount of effort is reduced. However there isn't much variation. If I am also more than 1/2 way from the fret, it will buzz. It's like I have to be almost against the fret itself.
Sounds like a good set-up inspection would be helpful.

BTW, have you gotten to the sections on left hand work and right/left hand coordination? That's were most of the "death grip" issues are addressed.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,

Last edited by Jeff M; 09-06-2005 at 08:16 PM.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:13 PM

Come on guys! Get with the program!

What he is really looking for is justification to his wife on why he needs to spend $2K on a guitar! The old "won't play cause its buzzing, here honey take a listen" worked for me!
Old 09-07-2005, 05:34 AM

Talking

Taygull has it all right here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-07-2005, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Would the frets be as challenging to find without looking?
You absolutely SHOULD be looking when you practice!
710-L9
Old 09-07-2005, 09:24 AM

[QUOTE=gsdvip]I just started learning chords through an instructor a week ago, and have been practicing. I can form the G, Em, C and D chords fairly well, but sometimes I am one fret off. Also, the main problem is that it buzzes when I try to make a C and D, unless I press down very hard, even though the action is good. ).

My question is, would an expensive Taylor have the same challenges to play.

To quote the Great and powerful Wizard of OZ

"There are people who strum great G, Em, C and D chords,

and they are called, um?--CHORD STRUMMERS!

and they have no more talent than you do... but they have one thing

you havent got... a Ryan... so by the power vested in me

Rick
Old 09-07-2005, 09:44 AM

Rick,

If the power is vested in you to grant free Ryans, I've got an empty stand at home. If you could just materialize one there, I'd greatly appreciate it

That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. -- Theodore F. MacManus

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell -- Christopher Walken

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion