The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-17-2005, 06:54 PM

Default 2001 810 vs 2005 810 for bluegrass..

Hello,
Im a newbie to this forum but have enjoyed lurking here for a long time. I am in the market for a Taylor 810 to use in my bluegrass band. I rad that theye were revoiced in 2003 (?) and would like to know how the new ones compare to the older ones. I have a lead on a nice 2001 810 but, if I would be better off waiting for a newer,revoiced version, I would rather. I would appreciate some much needed advice. Thanks, Cliff
Old 07-17-2005, 07:52 PM
Charter Member

Some will disagree with me on this one I'll bet...

If you can't play them both, go for the 2005 for the revoicing. Bowever, if you can play them both, it's a toss-up. I've played pre-revoiced Taylor dreads that were "bassier" and had more volume than the revoiced guitars of the same model right beside them.

The overall effect of the Taylor changes (with the exception of the Grand Concerts) is more subtle than when Martin does a vintage thing, or Santa Cruz makes a pre-war model. There's an overall difference, but not so much that you can't find exceptions on both sides of the line, in my experience.

Good luck!

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes

Old 07-17-2005, 08:09 PM

Thanks Wade. I dont have the luxury of comparing them side by side . Having owned several Martins, I know what you mean about the drastic difference in the standadr Martin bracing and the vintage, forward shifted and smaller prewar bracing. I guess I was wondering if the difference was that drastic and you have answered that question. Thanks, Cliff
Old 07-17-2005, 08:32 PM

Of the ones I've played, the difference is very noticable in the 510 and the 710, but not as much in the 810's I've tried. If you get a good enough deal on the 2001 810 that you wouldn't lose any money in the case of resale, I might would consider it. Otherwise I would probably opt for the newer revoiced one. Ideally you would need to play them both though, as Thumper said.
________
Head Shop

Last edited by Allen Shadd; 05-03-2011 at 08:29 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion