The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-17-2005, 01:42 PM

Default Acoustic Bass info requested

Looking for input on acoustic bass guitars.
Experience, (good and bad), brand suggestions and reasons,
all appreciated.
thanks.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:04 PM

IMHO, the only good "Acoustic Bass" available is an upright bass/"doghouse". A Fender Precision Bass is the only bass guitar that comes close to an "acoustic" sound.
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 07-18-2005, 08:29 AM

I'm selling a dean acoustic bass...if you're interested.

Taylor 310CE '05
Dean Acoustic Bass Performer CE '04 (Acquired, not purchased)
Old 07-18-2005, 11:17 PM

Default Acoustic bass

I've also been thinking about an acoustic bass, primarily for my son to use when I play bluegrass. Of course most grassers recommend an upright, but I'm a guitar player, and an acoustic bass would be so much easier to learn on. If you're interested, I've done some research, and in the lower cost range, the Michael Kelly ST-AB4 has some good reviews. Here's a link (if this works):

http://www.michaelkellyguitars.com/acousticbasses/stab/
Old 07-19-2005, 09:26 PM

I've tried a bunch of them. One comment in general is that these are huge 'super jumbo' instruments which takes a bit to get accustomed to and the sound has a very acoustic 'thump' (vs electric - yeah, would I expect different? ). Most of the less costly models have laminated tops and lack overtones, however, this may not matter much if you plug in. IMHO, none of them are loud enough to cut through an acoustic jam session. The Tacoma Thunder Chief seems to be the loudest, but that may be due to the offset soundhole closer to your ear.
For sound quality, most of the less costly models (Fender, Dean Performer, Ibanez, Ovation Celebrity) seemed the same. Takamine has a model that is a couple hundred more that sounds better. I thought the Tacoma and Martin B1 sounded much better, probably enough to justify the price difference. The older Taylor ABs are a quantum leap in price.
Like Fishing The Sky, I have a Dean Performer, but a year older. The price point was a large part of the decision, as I didn't play bass very often. Our regular bass player has since left our group, so I am now playing weekly. Although it has an under saddle pickup, I get a lot of feedback that, for whatever reason, we can't dial out of the church PA. Even with a towel stuffed into the body and using a soundhole Feedback Buster, (somewhere around) the low A frequency howls. I haven't tried any other ABs at church so I have no comparison to offer, other than a MIM P-bass (no feedback at all). As far as construction, the top did belly after purchase, but that's probably due to the high humidity here in Hawaii. I lowered the saddle and filed some string slots which helped playability.
Best wishes...let us know what you end up with.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:55 PM

I play a Tacoma Thunderchief w/ fishman prefix plus in my bluegrass band, and I love it. It is loud enough acoustically for practice sessions and I get a great sound with no feedback problems for live peformances. I highly recommend this bass, just make sure you buy one with the fishman prefix plus (CB10-E4), because otherwise you will have feedback issues. I have played several other acoustic basses and none of them had the volume of the Tacoma, but do realize that you will have to dig in when playing acoustically with other instruments, I normally use a pic to get the volume needed to really cut through. Also I recommend Lebella "deep talkin" nylon strings w/ this bass, you can get them cheap here: http://www.carvin.com/products/singl...r=4012&CID=ACC

If you want to hear what the bass sounds like here is a link to my bands webpage:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/ri...band_music.htm

I purchased mine off of ebay for $700 shipped, so you may be able to get one for a pretty good price there. Otherwise a brand new one will cost you about $1k.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion