The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-07-2005, 05:49 PM

Default What Acoustic Guitar Humidifier Do You Use ?

Am considering buying a guitar case mounted guitar humidifier for a Taylor 914c- any suggestions or success/ failer stories connected to acoustic guitar humidifiers , and where would a person look for one on-line ?
Lastly, are they effective / necessary for someone living in a dry climate [ I live in the high desert area of the San Fernando Valley, CA ]
Thanks !
Old 07-07-2005, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

Instead of buying one why not make one. This is the best humidifier I have ever used and they are simply to make. Check it out

http://www.thepodium.com/instcare3.html
Spotify

FOR SALE:
MIKTEK CV4 Tube mic
Various Shock Mounts
2019 Alvarez ABT60 SHB-E Baritone guitar
Shoot me a PM if interested
Old 07-07-2005, 10:24 PM

What a great tip , many thanks !!
Old 07-08-2005, 09:34 PM

I use the open to the elements variety.Keep them out all the time...but then I play them all the time, too. Can't stand having to open a case when I'm so inspired.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:10 PM

humidifyer? Just stick it in the shower when you get out by the time you finish dressing it is moise enough for anothe day. Stick it in the case and
measure it , Guaranteed about 52 per cent the next day.

I use that as a way of restorinig guitars that got to dry in the store too.

Just a world of knowleldge out there. The guy that put me on to that now
deny's it . Don't you just hate that?

Collings DS2H MhA "Bubba"
Collings OM 2H "Colleen"
Collings "Herb Special"
Eastman AR610CE-CS " Jazz "
Martin 000 28c MH "Merle"
Dudley Classical Dudley"
Baby Taylor "Baby Hoggy"
Old 07-08-2005, 10:27 PM

WOW....you mean that works????? And all this time I thought that was just hear-say.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:29 PM
Charter Member

Default use one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbutcheraxis
...Lastly, are they effective / necessary for someone living in a dry climate [ I live in the high desert area of the San Fernando Valley, CA
Hi jon...
Yes it would be important to humidify your guitars, and the Taylor dealer in Louisville, CO (near Boulder) recommends the Kyser lifeguard. He just takes out the plastic retainer ring and throws it away in the store so the customer won't scratch the sound hole.

I also have students make a second one out of a plastic soap bar holder with a dozen 1/8'' holes drilled in it and the we fit it with a sponge and keep it moist (just damp) and in the space under the head stock.

There are several brands which work well, and they are all about the same. You don't need a timerelease model in the high desert...you need a full time method of humidifying the instrument.

We live in an area where the humidity often drops in the winter to under 10%, so we are familiar with humidifiers.

I run an off the shelf ultrasonic unit in the room where my guitars are displayed and it keeps it at about 33-37%, which my luthier says is going to be satisfactory (it is hard for him to keep his shop at 40% in the winter).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-10-2005, 04:51 PM

Location: Retired to Rio Rancho, NM (largest suburb of Albuq) 12 years ago.

I use a Dampit for my T-355. If a guitar was made in your environment (my 6-string Pimentel was) & if the woods were environmentally aged in the same climate 10 years or more (ditto), you can dispense with ALL humidifying. But I live in the REALLY high desert of North Central N.M. (5,300' elevation). Humidifying is truly needed for the Taylor 8 mos. per year.

In the Summer, our Evaporative Cooler keeps the Taylor nicely damped & I use no humidifier. If in doubt, use a Hygrometer. I do!

Cheers, Dan
I also wear a Taylor "bucket" hat & love it!
Old 07-10-2005, 11:25 PM

Right now I'm using a big ole blow hard named "Dennis" to humidify my world. Working all too well, too.

cotten

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion