The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-05-2005, 08:24 AM
More guitars than talent

Default Heard of a Spalted top (link)? Gadow guitars

I've got one of these in quilted maple (ocean blue). The one they have on the intro page is really unusual. I've never heard of a "spalted" top. I think it is maple. At first I didn't like it, but now I think it's pretty cool looking.

http://www.rrgadowguitars.com/

01 Taylor 814ce, 05 Taylor T5 Maple, 78 Ovation 10th Anniversary, Larrivee L03-12RE

98 American strat, 06 Gibson LP Supreme, 05 Gadow Custom Single, 05 Gadow Custom Hollow, 04 Agile Goldtop, 05 Variax 600, 03 Splatter Strat, 04 Homebuilt Tele, Dillion John Lennon model, Gibson Flying V, Agile Valkyrie SG
Old 07-06-2005, 07:08 AM

spalted means that fungus and mold have gotten to the wood already. and after its "aged" they just take off that nasty crap and it becomes spalted. I doubt it'd be any good for anything aside from decortions/bling.
'06 Bourgeois Signature D Adi/Brazilian
Old 07-06-2005, 09:11 AM

Interesting and very different looking finish. I can see how it might need to 'grow' on you, but not like most anyone else's guitar... visually at least. I've never heard one, so I can't comment on the tone... nor played one, so likewise the playability.

DJanzen
'06 52RI Tele
Old 07-06-2005, 03:08 PM
Give Me Liberty

The one in the link is just a slab of spalted maple laminated over whatever the base wood of that electric's body is. Alembic uses alot of spalted maple for electric guitar and bass tops. The look is pretty cool/unusual to say the least. for an alembic guitar the spalted maple top is a pricey upgrade
Old 07-06-2005, 05:24 PM

That is gorgeous wood.

McPherson 4.5W RW/ZI
Taylor 812ce - Taylor 514ce - NS32-ce
Adamas W-597, Epi John Lee Hooker Sig #23 of 220, Squire Black Strat
Jay Turser Maple OM
Taylor W14ce / 422-R Babies x 3
Fishman 130W Tri-Amped Performer Acoustic Amp
Old 07-06-2005, 06:14 PM
minister of twang

david at berkowitz guitars made a concert (F-6) size guitar of spruce and spalted sycamore. really pretty. sorta looks "distressed." i'd never played sycamore before. looks like it wants to sound like maple, but doesn't.
l'twangage
Old 07-07-2005, 06:30 AM
More guitars than talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotto
The one in the link is just a slab of spalted maple laminated over whatever the base wood of that electric's body is. Alembic uses alot of spalted maple for electric guitar and bass tops. The look is pretty cool/unusual to say the least. for an alembic guitar the spalted maple top is a pricey upgrade
It's a maple cap on a mahogany body. The one in the picture is a semi-hollowbody. Not sure on the price, but his guitars are very reasonable in price for the quality.

I REALLY love the way my quilited ocean blue maple top looks and sounds. I've gotten more comments on this guitar than any other I own.

01 Taylor 814ce, 05 Taylor T5 Maple, 78 Ovation 10th Anniversary, Larrivee L03-12RE

98 American strat, 06 Gibson LP Supreme, 05 Gadow Custom Single, 05 Gadow Custom Hollow, 04 Agile Goldtop, 05 Variax 600, 03 Splatter Strat, 04 Homebuilt Tele, Dillion John Lennon model, Gibson Flying V, Agile Valkyrie SG

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification