The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-07-2005, 09:52 PM

Default Steve Miller 000c Martin Report

Well my guitar arrived today. #40 out of 383.

I haven't had it long enough, nor am I a good enough player, to give it a proper review but here are my initial thoughts about it.

Visually, it's a understatedly beautiful guitar. The mahogany is lightly quilted and quite pretty. The multi-colored inlay strip is a nice touch and the rosette and the headstock "torch" design is ornate without being gaudy. I rather like the blank fretboard.

Also, as a signature model it doesn't have Steve Miller's signature on the fretboard or any other outward sign of being siggy. The only markings are on the inside...the Pegasus lable and the signatures of Martin, Miller and Boak

I like the size of the guitar. I'd played several other 000 models and knew I should like it and I indeed do. The neck feels great in my hand and I had little problem adjusting from the modified V of my D-18GE. The short-scale plays more smoothly than any other guitar I've owned...including the Taylor I started with and the HD-28 that blew it out of the water.

Soundwise it's a huge difference from my Dred. It's not as loud as my D-18GE and not nearly as deep sounding. The highs are much more defined in my Miller and there seems to be a nice balance of tone.

The huge boost in the brightness was something that I wasn't sure about right out of the box. As I played it through the day I honestly wasn't at all sure about the sound I was hearing and whether it was what I wanted. However, as my hands got used to the short scale and my improved finger position eliminated the initial occasional buzz on the high strings I began to warm to the tone more and more.

Now it's at home and I've A/Bd it with my Dred. At this point I'm really enjoying the tone of my new baby and the more I play it the more I like it.

I feel that I've made a good purchase. So far, I'm very pleased.

I took it to my local music store and let my teacher play it as well. We plugged it into an acoustic amp and the Fishman Ellipse sounded great. I'll give it a proper test tomorrow at Praise Band rehearsal.

Thanks to Jon Garon at www.myfavoriteguitars.com for helping this happen.

Last edited by Abdiel; 06-09-2005 at 08:16 AM.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:59 PM

Congrats on your new Steve Miller Sig Model! Trust it will bring you much musical joy!
Old 06-08-2005, 07:36 AM

Congrats on the new guitar Abdiel! Sounds like a wonderful addition to your stable.
Pics when you get a chance??
Tokai Love Rock
Old 06-08-2005, 08:03 AM

IMO, any special edition Martin has to be a great guitar! Enjoy
Old 06-08-2005, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations! Here's hoping it turns out to be much more than you ever hoped!

All the best,

Wade

PS - where ARE the pics?
Old 06-08-2005, 10:56 AM

I've got pictures taken but not uploaded anywhere that can host them yet. I'll try to do this tonight.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:25 PM

pics pics pics
Old 06-09-2005, 06:18 AM

I've uploaded some pictures to the Acoustic Gallery. Once they are approved they should be available for viewing.

I did want to update my report to talk about the Fishman Ellipse system.

I really like this thing. I took it to Praise Band rehearsal last night and it sounded great. I tended a little more towards the pick-up than the mic to minimize the pick noise I was hearing with the heavy pick I was using but it worked like a charm.

I love the location of the controls. Since I'm not very good yet and I'm not able to play in some keys all that well I like being able to bring down my volume for the songs I can't play so well. I found it very easy to adjust the settings with the hidden soundhole controls.

So...yet another great aspect of this guitar. The more I play it the more I like it.

One thing I don't like as much....the black pickguard seems to show pick marks much worse than other designs.

Last edited by Abdiel; 06-09-2005 at 08:28 AM.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:17 AM

Pictures Posted Above

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion