The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-07-2005, 06:16 PM

Default New FWI Pins & Saddle = New Guitar!

Well not exactly a new guitar.... but I am most impressed!

I recently purchased a matching set of Premium Dark FWI Pins & Sadlle from Bob Colosi for my 512M Taylor. I'm not sure what everyone elses experience has been, but for me at least, non "spruce" tonewoods can sound a little dull sometimes.

I have an all Mahogany 512 (the 512M) and an all koa K-22. They are both amazing looking guitars - just really fine examples. Both, however, have always sounded a little on the "muddy" side to me. I'm not expecting a koa or mahogany top to resonate like Red Spruce (or any spruce for that matter) as I know that the composition of the wood is different. But, I felt that with each of these guitars I really wasn't hearing their true tone. A better way to say might be that I wasn't getting their full potential. In the case of the K-22, switching to a different brand of strings (GLS) really helped a lot.

Back to the 512M. I recently put the new FWI pins in, and that made a subtle - but very postive - difference. I was hearing more individual note clarity and seperation. Add I think it added to the overal sustain as well.

The real change, however, came from the FWI saddle - what a difference! That new saddle has really "opened up" the sound of that mahagony top. I can now hear all that it can produce - and it's very lovely sounding indeed. I am most impressed!

I followed Bob's instructions very closely. They are well written and will take you step by step through the whole process. I had noticed in another post where someone mentioned (forgive me but I forget who) that it was helpful to have a micrometer. I borrowed one and it was indeed quite helpful (for me at least) - all of you naturally talented people probably wouldn't need one ). I used that instrument to "check" what my eyes were seeing, and it really kept me on track.

I spent about an hour and a half on the saddle. I'm not sure what the "average" time is, but I didn't want to rush things. I then polished it up (per Bob's instructions) with a little toothpase. The thing looks just beautiful. In fact the entire set looks particulary nice with the all Mahogany guitar.

The sound is well, just very - very - nice. I really couldn't be happier with it. For me it was money - and time - well spent. I will definately be placing an order soon for another, similar set. If fact, if you're reading this Bob, please set aside the next matching "Premium Dark FWI" set of pins & saddle that you get. Those will be going on the K-22...

I always believe that good products - ones that live up to their claims - deserve to be recognized. In this case, the set of pins & saddle really do deserve some "kudos". Very nice indeed!

Last edited by Taylorplayer; 06-07-2005 at 06:19 PM. Reason: still can't spell!
Old 06-07-2005, 08:49 PM

Glad it helped out the sound. It has been my experience that the Mahogany-topped guitars sometimes sound muddy or not as sharp as their spruce counterparts.

Thanks.
Jeff

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion