The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-07-2005, 10:58 AM

Default koa laminates

New to the board here, looking forward to hanging. My acoustic is a 2001 Ibanez AW100, given as a gift when I expressed an interest in getting back into playing. It has served me well over the last few years but I have been itching for another one. My price range is somewhat limited so the new one whenever I get it won't be much of a significant upgrade. The main thing is that I want an American made. The Martin DX series is intriguing, particularly the DX-K2. I know these are all plywood models but hey, if I could lay out 4 or 5 grand for a real Koa, I'm sure I would. The 'no bells' look of the K2 and lack of a finish are also selling points for me, especially since my AW is like a mirror.
So what I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the DX and whether they are a fair, low rent option into the Martin family. I payed one at the store and I liked it but you can never tell from some time in the store. For me I sometimes don't even feel loose until an hour after getting started. Looking forward to gettin to know someaya'll
Old 06-07-2005, 11:31 AM

I know many people are happy with their laminate Martins, but they've always seemed a lousy deal to me - a laminate guitar for the same price as you could get a solid wood guitar from somebody else (i.e. Blueridge). You might want to consider the 16 series Martins if you're not totally wedded to the appearance of Koa (laminate or otherwise).

Rockbridge Slope D
Martin America 1
Woolson Soundcraft Sig
Old 06-07-2005, 02:53 PM
minister of twang

i can't speak to the martin koa laminates. but...

i recently took a trip to kauai. i had planned on bringing a guitar, but due to various, didn't. while on the island i was itching to play. i stopped in a few stores (there were only a couple) and became intrigued with... wait for it...

ukeleles.

so i finally settled on a baritone model. i got a bari because the scale length is a little longer than concert (tiny, but not as tiny as a soprano uke), and because (i didn't know any of this stuff prior to the trip), "standard" tuning on a bari is basically the top four strings of a guitar (DGBE). i play in lots of open/altered tunings, so i've come up with bunches of variations for four-string tunings. anyhoo...

i digress.

i got a lanakai ck-b, which is a koa veneer/laminate. it's not a bad little instrument (crafted in china for a hawaiian company). but it does not, in any way, sound like a solid koa uke. i played several. it sounds like a laminated instrument (the best one i played, mind you). i actually recorded two tunes on my new record with it. but i wouldn't say it sounds like koa (i really got in to the wood while in HI; just about every local player there seems to have a koa or spruce/koa guitar). the only reason i didn't go with an all-koa uke was that this was an impulse buy and the koas in the shops were all handbuilt models, starting at $700-800 and going up to $3k+. just couldn't justify. koa isn't any cheaper on the island.

so i would agree with the comment above. you might be better off finding a solid top/back guitar. a larrivee -01 series is an excellent value if you can find one. many others out there as well. as much as i like the look of koa, if it doesn't sound nice... not sure i see the point. i think i'd rather put the money towards a little better guitar... but... it's all in the ears and hands.

enjoy.
l'twangage
Old 06-07-2005, 06:47 PM

I just couldn't bring myself to shell out that much dough for what I don't envision a martin as at all. I know they have their place, but it isn't in my home. You get not a laminate koa, but basically a formica koa-picture (not one ioda of koa, but mystery wood), morado fingerboard, "stratabond" neck (what is it?), micarta saddle and much more synthetics than natural. I third the opinions above and would look elsewhere. I don't even think it looks good.

1997 Tacoma PM20
1998 Tacoma CC10
2001 Tacoma C5C
2004 Tacoma C1C
2004 Tacoma EMM30 "Forum Guitar"
Old 06-08-2005, 04:14 AM

Simon & Patrick SP6. Much better guitar, lamanated b/s solid top much less money.
Blueridge idea also good.
SIMMO
Old 06-09-2005, 06:30 AM

I have a friend with a washburn sj45s guitar which has beautiful real laminated back and sides, and a solid cedar top. It sounds amazing even next to my taylor 710. He paid in the low range of $xxx. a couple of hundred less than the martin koa. Check on ebay.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:45 AM

Has anyone ever played an Alvarez AD60K? It is an inexpensive all Koa guitar. I don't know if the top is solid or not but the back and sides are laminated.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmo
Simon & Patrick SP6. Much better guitar, lamanated b/s solid top much less money.
Blueridge idea also good.
SIMMO

I agree with you on the S&P but you'll note he says "American made". That takes Godin, Seagull and S&P out of the equation.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:31 PM

Question

ANYONE KNOW IF THE LIMITED TAKAMINE EG544SC, MADE EXCLUSIVELY FOR GUITAR CENTER, HAS SOLID BACK AND SIDES?

these specs are from the recent guitar center mailer:
- solid cedar top, koa back and sides
- TK4NT preamp with tunable notch filter and switchable mid contour
- rosewood fretboard with dot inlays
- abalone rosette & chrome hardware

this guitar is not on the thorough takamine website, if you're trying to look for it there, because it was made exclusively for guitar center. it's also probably overly-glossed like takamine tends to do with their guitars.

norm <><

http://joyceandnorm.wordpress.com

2003 Taylor 714ce-LTD Cocobolo | Taylor Holden Village GS Mini | Baby Taylor Rosewood | Martin 00-15SM Custom | RainSong Shorty SG-FLE | Kamaka HF-3 | Fishman Loudbox Mini

Old 06-09-2005, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normmoy
ANYONE KNOW IF THE LIMITED TAKAMINE EG544SC, MADE EXCLUSIVELY FOR GUITAR CENTER, HAS SOLID BACK AND SIDES?

these specs are from the recent guitar center mailer:
- solid cedar top, koa back and sides
- TK4NT preamp with tunable notch filter and switchable mid contour
- rosewood fretboard with dot inlays
- abalone rosette & chrome hardware
I happened to look at ~3 of these on the GC wall the other day.
They are laminated koa back and sides. By looking in the
sound hole, the interior grain and figure was not matching.

Some of the plywood on the inside looked to consist of multiple "strips" of plywood.

On the GC display wall, they looked "good from far" but after playing a couple
of them found they sounded "far from good" Very thuddy sounding.
Old 11-05-2005, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanikapila
I happened to look at ~3 of these on the GC wall the other day.
They are laminated koa back and sides. By looking in the
sound hole, the interior grain and figure was not matching.

Some of the plywood on the inside looked to consist of multiple "strips" of plywood.

On the GC display wall, they looked "good from far" but after playing a couple
of them found they sounded "far from good" Very thuddy sounding.
I recently played one and it sounded great. I was thinking of picking one up, but I want to get it brand new. Does GC sell guitars that are only used on the showroom or do they sell some brand new?
Old 11-05-2005, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMo66
You get not a laminate koa, but basically a formica koa-picture (not one ioda of koa, but mystery wood), morado fingerboard, "stratabond" neck (what is it?), micarta saddle and much more synthetics than natural. I third the opinions above and would look elsewhere. I don't even think it looks good.
Listen to BigMo. I had the DXM for a week, which is the same guitar with a different picture printed on it. I had problems with the formica top bowing and I wouldn't recomend it. If you MUST get a Martin DX get the DX1 with the solid spruce top. And if it was me I'd save a few more dollars and get a Martin DM or D15 (Muscians Friend has Martin D15s with all solid wood and spruce tops instead of Mahogony that are pretty cool) or Taylor 110 or something along those lines instead of any DX.
Gone
1999 Larrivee D-03
1970s Yamaha FG

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion